Bumbed out about Pessary

Body: 

Has anyone read the article entitled; For Want of a Pessary the Life Was Lost?
I feel like Margaret in the story, I just not dead yet.
I have 3 miss fits and am still counting.
The Doctor says; “I am not against fitting a pessary, but it just takes too long”. “Wouldn’t you rather have your pap test now and make another appointment later for the pessary fitting?”
“Jump up and down; if it doesn’t fall out, that’s the right fit”.
Or the doctor who makes
Pessary jokes while you are being fitted for one.
Or after calling to verify that the doctor has a test kit in the office, you come to find that the office does not keep a test kit in all of the offices. “However, we still need that co-pay.”

Hi Salvage,
That does seem to be the sad but enevietable truths of dealing with doctors when it comes to female trouble in general. I have never been comfortable with a doctor in this intimate area of my body.

I do have a question though. Have you considered weaning yourself off using pessaries for prolapse, and relying more on whole woman posture and work?

I have checked over some of your older posts and don't really know much about your situation from what I have read. If you feel comfortable to tell us, we would love to hear your story.

p.s. Reread your post, and realize was excerpt. Are you using a pessary?

I have 3 devices. 1. The donut is painful to insert and excruciating to remove. It causes abrasions & bleeding at the base of the vagina because I am an athlete and this device vigorously moves with active movement. The open ring is too large and places pressure against the vaginal wall. This caused calluses/nodules of the sidewalls that corrected over time with pessary abstinence. The small ring will not stay behind the pelvic bone and slides down into the vagina causing pain. I now wear the ring every day for half the day, because the support is needed. I do WW exercises daily and work continuously toward correct WW posture. I am distressed.

Sorry to hear that Salvage. It hasn't been uncommon on here for woman to come to us telling us about their unsuccessful journey with pessaries.
So is this just wearing it for a half day new to you? Just wondering if you are thinking of weaning yourself off the use of the pessary all together at some point.

Sorry if I am being too nosy. We tend to do that on the forum from time to time, but what kind of prolapse are you dealing with?

Hi Salvage, I too would like to welcome you and ask if you can share more of your story, in order for us to comment more appropriately. Have you had any pelvic surgeries? If so, that doesn't mean that the WW approach cannot help you manage now, but it's relevant. It sounds like you are working hard, but having some problems. Have you learned to firebreathe? To keep belly always relaxed and to always breathe into the belly and not the chest? - Surviving

I have been catherizing myself since Aug.2014, I had some infections at first but not any more..I went to my urologist and suggested I use a pessary she wanted me to place one inside me and just go home with it she said to "Try " it..my hubby got all excited..but I was alittle overwhelmed as I never did this before..so she placed one in and it fell in the toilet.she tried a # 1 pessary not sure what type yet..that hurt as I was walking long story short she said after my cystoscopy test and urodynamics test to come back in a week and we will try then...I did she place in a donut shape size 3 which was very tight when she put it in..I visualized I was having sex with this guy with the largest Penis!! felt a little better..she said ok take it out..I did but I could not get it in for nothing she had to do it it felt good I acutally peed on my own for the first time..so happy..as I went out to eat etc..a little discharge 2nd day I really think it move out of place..so uncomfortable now the itching started..thought I had an infection..I called her assostamt told me to catherize as the pesery is in place and tellher the numbers..well I cannot believe I was able to do both.. soooooooooo...peeing on my own not to much came out..think it was truly out of place the pessary al l day I was peeing now this..and so I peed only 100 the catheter let out 200 so my question is..should I get a size 2 pessary?? or try another type? the donut one seems the best? so sorry for the unspelled words next time I"ll recheck it!

wow..read my post below..I feel the same way!!! Im too active and I feel its not gonna move but it did!! I wonder if a lot of people on here have success because they're not as active as most!! Sorry ill probably get a lot of feed back on this?

You can search for pessary posts on this forum, but you will not find many successful users. We manage our prolapse with natural posture, and we are as active as anyone! Pessaries can aggravate your prolapse and make it worse, by holding the vagina open when we should be trying to maintain it as a closed space to keep the organs out. Do some reading around the site. - Surviving

I second what surviving says. Prolapse can be improved and managed in active people as well. I have a profound uterine prolapse and do everything I always did and more. Look at Christine as an example! Talk about active!
You don't have to sit in a chair with prolapse, whole woman work can free you to do anything you want, but only you can put the work into it.
Sorry Elenore, I don't want you to think this is some fairytale we are spewing out on the forum day to day. We are living proof that Christine's techniques really do work.

Hi Salvage I used a size 3 ring..it was a veryvery tight fit but yes..it did work at getting my urine out
but I have to say I got very frightened as to taking it out..it make me bleed ,not a lot but enough to make you think I might switch to a # 2 Pessary ! Does anyone out there know if there is a # 2 pessary? btw I thought I was spelling Pessary right??>shaking my head!!

A few days ago I was in this forum and ok..the dates were 2012 or less. There were a lot of users
saying just how great it was to use the pessary!! Are you using one.and how long if you don't mind me asking do you use yours?

At the bottom of this page, Christine gives some information about pessaries:

https://wholewoman.com/newpages/cystocele.html

The problem with pessaries in general, is that they are not a long term fix for prolapse, whole woman posture is though. Have you had a chance to read any of Christine's information on this site, away from the forum itself, Elenore?
Some women have worn pessaries, but then find that they don't continue to work for them. Of course, you can wear one if you like, but on this site, we must make you aware of the better alternative to pessaries, and that is Whole Woman posture.

I don't use a pessary, never have and never will. I have been successfully managing cystocele and rectocele for almost 5 years with the Whole Woman work. I am more active and in better overall health than I have experienced in a long time. We hope you will look into this work; there is plenty of information available on the site and in the store. - Surviving

Sports activities absolutely requires placement of a pessary - in my opinion. The donut floats around with motion and really traumatizes the vaginal tissue. Funny thing is that the doctor who fitted the donut stated that; "The donut is the only one that I will fit" because it is the most mobile and comfortable pessary. Any pessary fittings can be very painful and the technique by physicians vary. The bladder does not like to be externally compressed in a sudden or violent manner (e.g. via vaginal route). He man-handled the pessary during insertion which resulted in bladder and left ureter spasms. He could not understand the pessary insertion hurt. WHAT A NUT!

I was fitted with a pessary, it hurt when I stood up. I had to get that out immediately if not sooner. My gyn was not happy with me AT ALL! But I never looked into anything at that point, nor did I know of this site. I asked her what are my options? She ripped off her rubber exam gloves tossed them in the trash, and said surgery or keep pushing it up and walked out. I am glad in retrospect that it did not work out now reading about all the damage those can potentially do.

I was fitted for a pessary by my OB/GYN but couldn't get it out myself when I was in the office. I called her back later and said don't order it. She then said that I could come in for another fitting. I bled and hurt after the first fitting and felt further traumatized as if POP wasn't enough. I found this site and cancelled my fitting.

On heavy days, I think about it but those are getting fewer and farther between. I would never rule it out for myself or others but for now I am staying away. We all know our bodies better than anyone and right now my body says NO! My integrative Doctor said that he didn't see a problem with one if it were a copper one in terms of material (I'm allergic to so many things), but I don't think that the one that she ordered was going to be copper.

The whole experience was so foreign to me and my body. I remember that it felt like it kept my urethra open which felt odd. The relief of the pressure even though it was momentary felt good, but still unnatural. I am very happy with WW posture and the natural approach. I hope that I don't ever have to consider one but will certainly defer to the advice and suggestions of you ladies if it ever comes up.

Wow PM yours is a sad story to read, but it is a classic reaction for as a Gyno. The physicians get ANGRY at anything that interferes with surgery. Years ago, when a physician first mentioned - hysterectomy for POP -I could have sworn I saw $$ signs in his eyes.

Surgery for POP: Cystocele repair x1 and TVT placed. I enjoy the fire-breaths more and more by the day. The WW program is amazing and results are showing. I'm done with hurtful and useless Gyno visits. I am still traumatized at some of my other past office experiences.

Hmmm......Salvage, I'm really happy the WW work is helping you. I want you to take it slow and gently though. Moves such as firebreathing that aim to forcefully move the organs forward, may not be working in the same direction as your repairs. Some of these tools weren't really designed with your particular situation in mind. I don't know anything about the TVT stuff but I wouldn't want you to dislodge anything. Just a caution. - Surviving

I JUST GOT A PESSARY 9 DAYS AGO, I FEEL BETTER NOW THEN I HAVE FELT IN OVER A YEAR.

NOW I CAN EXERCISE BETTER. FOR ME I GOT A SIZE 4, NO SURGERY FOR ME. I WILL CONTINUE TO
WORK ON MY POSTURE AND DIET.

hi I 'm new to the group and so glad that I found this community I found an item called
Softcup at CVS, it's reusable and costs $10, it's easy to insert and the added feeling of the cervix
being protected is a plus. Hope this helps.

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has every used the sea sponges as a pessary? My friend found them on line and suggested them. I have pretty large prolapse and I am working daily on the posture, breathing and exercises but some days those organs just want to fall out. I am sure I just need to be patient and keep working but any suggestions on keeping things in their proper place would be welcome. I am 67 and have had 8 children so I understand that some of those parts are a little
worn out.

Hi Idahogranny,
If you put sea sponge in the search box, you will find much discussion, pros and cons.

With that said, I have a profound uterine prolapse, and I find jiggling and firebreathing very helpful in keeping my prolapse inside, and of course, just keep working on the posture and exercises. This work does have a very positive outcome with continued dedication to it.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. Some days I wonder if it will every get better. I appreciate all of the comments and success stories that are similar to my own. Is there a thread about the jiggling? I' m not sure if I'm doing the right thing. Is it like the belly toss in the exercise?(there are no dumb questions on this site right?)

Jiggling was a technique made up by one our long term members. You just bend over touching a chair or the floor and jiggle around. It really helps get things back inside, followed by firebreathing really helps.

I did a little research on the sponges.......I think I will just practice juggling and fire breathing! Not taking that risk. Thanks for the support and help. It is so nice to have someone to take with about a pretty delicate subject :-)

Its been quite some time since I posted on Whole woman. I had a complete pelvic prolapse in 2013. I just couldn't handle it emotionally. I ended up trying pessaries which never did fit. I ended up using a tampon to help me with urination. I eventually had a nervous breakdown and ended up in a stress center for 4 days. I was diagnosed as severely depressed with another condition that boiled down to my symptoms not matching my condition of prolapse which was basically saying my problems were all in my head. That made me feel even crazier. Because I could barely urinate I ended up with my husband catheterizing me several times a day. This progressed to having 4 surgeries at once for cystocele, entrocele, rectocele and a hysterctomy. I was 59 at the time. My uterus was diseased and swollen ,full of cysts and tumors and pre-cancerous. I guess I am glad it was removed. Ive had female problems all my life. But two weeks after my surgery, my bladder fell again! I now live the Whole Woman way with a prolapsed bladder. If I don't do my exercises or watch my posture, the inability to urinate or get my bladder completely emptied comes back and catches me off guard. I've had to work on a good mental attitude and staying positive, The fire breathing and the posture has saved me. The yoga videos are great and so helpful. I go months without even feeling my prolapse and then other times I have to work a little harder. A prolapse is not just a physical problem but for some woman it can be an emotional one too. It can become a vicious cycle in your life if you don't get off the merry-go-round. It effects your womanhood, your sexuality and losing my uterus was a sobering loss to me. I think I still grieve at times over that organ as it was the beginning point and home for 3 children. But I press forward now at 65 years of age with the Whole woman philosophy. I have an active wonderful sex life with my husband of 45 years and I feel more " womanly" now then I did as a young girl. I am so grateful to God for leading me to Whole Woman. Maybe this will help someone out there suffering. Healing is available with this program.

Hello Jettybetty,

I understand that your symptoms affected you greatly and am glad you now realize how important it is to consciously support the natural dynamics of your pelvic organ support system. I do feel it is important to emphasize for our readers, however, that there is no surgical cure for prolapse. Hysterectomy often results in bowel and bladder dysfunction and permanent sexual disability.

Women need to learn the basic ways prolapse is stabilized and reversed, and how vaginal symptoms are relieved naturally after menopause. There should never be need for the cascade of medical intervention that snares so many women, simply because they do not understand the core anatomy of their body, which gynecology has always misrepresented.

I do encourage you to continue to utilize WW methods for the rest of your life, as the post-hysterectomy woman is at risk of a far greater type of prolapse - that of the intestines. However, by continually holding the intestinal contents forward, the likelihood of "vault prolapse" is greatly reduced.

Wishing you well,

Christine

I completely understand and agree with opting out of surgery for prolapse. My own experience proved to me that it is useless. As I said I still grieve the loss of my uterus. Maybe if I had not been so desperate for relief I would have made a better decision. but unfortunately a person cannot go back only forwards. The emtional component of this was very strong for me. Some women handle this much more rationally but at the time i was anything but that. I appreciate the well wish for success in the whole woman program. The vault prolapse scares me to death but I try to everyday to follow the protocol. My husband and I have been married 45 years and our sex life is better than it has ever been. I have no pain and i have no dryness. Orgasms are more intense now than anything I have ever had. I attribute this all to the whole woman way. I've always been self aware of my body to a fault but now I know the right way to view it and also how better to manage my weight, diet and exercise. i love the yoga series. They have helped me tremendously. Soon I will be purchasing your belt to help me even more with my posture.

Oh my goodness, prolapse and incontinence is such an emotional rollercoaster. Thanks jettybetty for your post and your honesty. There have been times I have seriously wanted to die rather than face the rest of my life with the discomfort and mortification of leaking wee.

I'm 47 and really hoping I can dance at my daughter's wedding this summer without wetting myself. That shouldn't really be a major focus of looking forward to this momentous occasion but it is, and thank goodness I have found the Whole Woman method now. Already I am feeling improvements and back to running but I have a long way to go.

I was super-excited to realise in the shower this morning that when feeling how things were doing down below, I couldn't reach my cervix!! Everything is kind of sucked up or tucked into place more than it has felt in a long time. My vagina feels not tighter but more closed and drawn upwards/backwards. It is amazing and encouraging to feel such anatomical change. It has been similar to the impact of going to yoga classes for the last few months - I see more tone and strength in my triceps and my quads in just a few months. Real anatomical change through focus mainly on posture and breathing.
I scrolled right through this whole thread about pessaries and found it all a bit depressing. I tried a couple of those things and hated them so much. I hated that feeling of the vaginal walls being held apart. It felt so wrong and unnatural. But the fire breathing and WW posture feels so natural, I can't believe I haven't figured it out before.

So many positive stories! I feel uplifted and encouraged :-)

Great post KS - thanks for the insights. This is such a process......good days and bad, but over time, you really do see something happening. When you understand the true anatomy of it, and you can visualize it, this makes it easier and makes it real. Keep up the great work. - Surviving

With Christine's WW workout for prolapse, I no longer have pain. I remember that during my first week of starting her exercises, my cervix was "tingling". At times I've have gotten lazy with my posture & some discomfort returned. I would do more exercise reps & the pain again abated. I have now been faithful in exercising daily. The program is a miracle from a uterine prolapse reversal standpoint.
Christine's exercises kept me off the surgical table...yeah!