Sore Tailbone

Body: 

Hi Ladies,

Lately I have been getting a sore tailbone from sitting. I am confident I have the WW posture down when sitting as my bulges etc move up a fair bit when sitting. However, am I perhaps too far back on my sit bones now? I used to be a bit scared to sit properly and lean forward too much. I am on the floor a lot now. Soft surfaces make it more sore as in sitting on the bed or a cushion so when I can I am using the floor.

Is my tailbone moving back out where it should be? It is interesting this is happening when I have just nailed the posture (well the best I have ever had it thus far :o). I'm over 2 years PP now.

I'm not too worried as I know things are most likely moving around but interested in other thoughts, experiences.

Forum:

I'd avoid the soft surfaces as much as you can. You can't always sit on the floor, but try to stick to firmer chairs. I tend to sit near the edge of firm chairs because I can really leverage good lumbar curvature. Christine usually has you pushing your butt as far back as possible and sitting up with strong spine, not leaning back. This may depend on the angle and other attributes of any particular chair. As long as you are not collapsing lumbar curvature you should be OK.

I have never had tailbone pain, but on this forum it seems common especially among PP women, and it seems to resolve over time with proper posture and exercising to stay flexible. I couldn't say for sure why you are getting it now, other than to speculate that you have been going at things pretty intensively. Hopefully you will get some other ideas from the members. - Surviving

ahhh, yes...the sore tailbone. I agree with Surviving that this does seem to be discussed most among the pp crowd here, but I also had this (not pp) somewhere between year 1 and 2 of my WW work. I found it to be really quite painful, but could be mitigated a bit by how I would sit. I didn't notice it so much while standing, but it was definitely exacerbated by sitting and sometimes even lying down. When I would try and palpate my tailbone...ouch! This endured for some time- months I'd say and finally, slowly but surely abated. I haven't had it since...knock on wood! ;) I still don't have a good explanation for it as I hadn't had an accident/fall that would have triggered it. I honestly think it may have been tied to the lowest part of my vertebrae working itself from a lousy position into a much healthier one.....but I'm just guessing.

If you haven't already, type it into the search box, I'm sure you'll find a fair amount of discussion. I just kept on working through it as I continued to hold my lumbar curve in place, assuming that in time it would work itself out....and happily it did. I'm hopeful you'll find some relief soon as well. :)- gr8fl

Hi there, some women find the WW work a bit achey and painful initially due to the changes made in the body and the extra muscle, postural work etc taking place. However if it's a sharp or acute pain it especially, it may be worth just checking with a doctor to ensure it's not anything else. Only you can tell whether it's serious enough to merit that. I think it's most likely just your body getting used to the WW work.

If you're sitting in WW posture then your tailbone should not be at risk or pressed upon. So if it is, it may be worth re-visiting your posture when sitting. It would be great if you could see a WW teacher - or even SKYPE a teacher. It can be very helpful to have an outside WW observer, to advise you &/or confirm you're doing things right.

Good luck, xwholewomanuk

I'm only a few days into the work, and I'm achy all over. I wouldn't call it pain, just more of an all-over ache. I've held a rigid posture my entire life (think military). All around my tailbone is quite tender, almost as if I had an actual tail like a dog or cat, and that tail had been glued down all of my life and is now being mobilized and raised up for the first time.

Hi
Thanks for the comments. It's not something in need of a doctor so I will take all the advice given and adjust.

Re the skype consultation I have tried two practicioners in Melbourne and not heard back but am keen to try Louise in perth so will get onto that. I have a few little tweaks I think I need to make.

i know carol g. is a midwife and often busy and jill has iffy internet where she lives. so i would recommend a phone call to either of them if you are in their neighborhood and wanted a personal visit. Skype to louise shouldn't be a problem, but do email first and schedule a time.

all the best,
lanny

Hi Lanny

I am with you on Louise. I sent her an email yesterday so will check for a reply soon. I love her posts so thought she might be a good bet. I am pretty sure I have WW down now but bet I will still learn so much.

Nice to hear from you. I was wondering how you were getting on.

My tail bone has been better lately. I probably needed my bottom out more with a tailbone tilt. I have to get over having a 'big' bottom as I have always put any extra weight there but it's worth it for the right posture. I think I was trying not to overdo the tilt and ended up being too neutral.