WW posture in 80 year old - Fabulous

Body: 

Hi All

I just wanted to share my experience of seeing this lovely little lady in the bank today. She was probably about 80 years old and a tiny wippet of a thing but she stood in line in beautiful WW posture. She had no deterioration in her spine, it was straight and she had her chin tucked in a bit and a lovely lumber curve. She also didn't have much sagging in her face at all. I could still tell she was older but not from the efforts of gravity.

She did not have much makeup on and just comfortable clothes but she radiated aging beautifully to me. She was simply beautiful with health and seemed very at ease in herself.

I told her she had lovely posture and she said she keeps her back straight but that her husband was all bend over.

It has left me feeling wonderful about WW posture all day. I hope to look like her one day.

:o)

What a lovely description A&L, I can picture this beautiful lady so easily. In my office are women of all ages, several with obvious hip and spine issues who are not even old. I would love to see someone like your lady, but sadly, so many of the older women in my life are the epitome of what a life of wrong posture can do. Thanks for sharing the inspiring moment! - Surviving

I really wanted to see her walk but I missed that but her image is enough. Her beautiful broad back, she had less damage than most slumped over teenagers! She was about 5 foot, 40kg - like my Nana but not bitter and hunched, just smiling and happy to stand and wait in line. It probably felt quite nice for her to stand in posture.

while recently attending a toddlers activity session I had a look around the room to see how many, if any, of the mums were sitting up in anything resembling 'good posture' - (not necessarily ww posture just chest up back straight) and let me tell you - out of twenty or so women NOT ONE was pulled up. A sea of slumping shoulders and rounded backs met my eyes. Depressing in a room full of otherwise youthful women.

Thanks for that lovely description of how I want to look in my 80's It was very inspiring.

What a wonderful observation! :) I definitely see things differently after having done this work for a few years. Before WW I never noticed posture-now it's one of the first things I see. It's no longer possible to *not* be aware. As Miss D experienced with the toddlers session, I almost always find myself in a room where I am the only one who is not slouched, slumped or held up by the backs of furniture. I too want to be this woman in about 40 years! :)

I so agree in a world of slumped, how lovely a straight spine looks and what wonderful proof for this posture (not that I need proof). I don't know that her belly was perfect WW posture, but no matter she looked so good, not a concave bit in sight. She said she didn't suck her belly in it just was where it was. I just don't see people unsucked so how sad that I just assume she must have been doing it to some degree.

It's sad how few people would even notice her beauty and how so many try to get that beauty and youth with lots of makeup and expensive clothes but it's not a patch on correct posture. I'm not that big of dressing myself up that much so feel inspired that my posture outshines all that.

Again, thank you Christine for returning us to how nature intended.

Just for clarification, when we say straight spine, what part of the spine is straight and in what direction? I'm still so unsure of myself. Can't wait for my appointment!!

I'm a few days off being a year into WW and it is just falling into place for me now so hang in there. Granted I didn't have an appointment so go you that should speed things up. I have read and watched the DVDs and looked at the posture so many times and it only now that I can really make sense of what I am seeing and really start to replicate it.

The elderly lady had the broad back and lifted crown you will hear talked about. It didn't make sense to me until I stopped holding my shoulders back and lifted from the back of my head and neck. Most people have their jaws sticking out so their heads are forward and they get a hump at the top of their back or they have their shoulder blades sticking out (shoulders back). I don't know how better to describe this. You know how so many eldery people are hunched over and they have a hump at the top of their spine. She did not. She clearly had not had a hyst as she had a round not flat bottom then her spine went in (lumber) and then arched up gradually (not sway back). If she was standing against a wall her bottom and the top of her back, just above shoulder blades would have been touching the wall and maybe her head. She was not slouching at all. I doubt she would have shunk much vertically over the years so in this sense she was standing tall.

Best of luck for your journey and have patience as you will get there.

I've been thinking about my comment above re the shoulder blades sticking out. I don't know exactly what causes this but I have had to work to stop mine sticking out and make my back broad and flat. I used to push them back and it made it harder to lift my chest and harder to relax my tummy and get my breathing right. Actually it made all of the WW posture harder.

The more I learn WW posture, the more I see how related everything is from my feet to my crown and everything in between.

To the newbies, keep it up as I just couldn't see what I can see/understand/do what I can now - a year into this. It is quite interesting studying other people's posture now and be able (generally) understand where their organs are being pushed to and why.

How interesting...because I had the exact opposite problem, and didn't know it until my posture was tweaked last year at the conference. My shoulders have been chronically rolled too far forward, so I literally need to force them back a little. I checked myself out in the mirror, thinking that my shoulder blades after correction must be jutting out, but they were not. In fact, almost nothing I could do would make those shoulder blades stick out! So now, I think of really opening my chest and keeping my shoulders down, and somewhat back compared to what you (and most others probably) have to do to achieve "upper back flat and broad". I think that shoulders were probably more of a problem for me over the years, than sucking and tucking. - Surviving

Maybe the protruding shoulder blades are when I reach back to see if my back is flat. I have just purchased my skype consult with Christine so I will know where my shoulders are at soon.