Could be an interesting read

Body: 

Hi Ladies

This book might be interesting for those that have given birth or those that might...

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-after-birth-elisa-albert...

I am interested by the following quotes in the article:

"At least since industrialization there's been harm inflicted upon women in birth. The methodologies change with fashion, but the harm remains systemic. Which renders the supposed exaltation of motherhood pretty shallow. Hatred/fear of women’s bodies and pseudoexalting of women’s bodies go hand in hand. One can’t exist without the other."

About a quarter of the way through 'After Birth,' I became radically astonished by its newness. I felt diminished and enlarged. Obviously on the subjects of pregnancy, child care, and female friendship, I am a know-nothing. But it seemed wrong that the book did not already exist. It was almost as if I had been slighted by its previous nonexistence."

We could all say the same about prolapse. Why did nothing like WW exist before our angle Christine came along.

I notice neither of those quotes is from the reviewer herself. She seemed to be mocking them. I could have done without her commentary altogether! - Surviving

HI S60

I think just the fact that someone has written this book is cool though. Granted I have not read it but if it gets women talking and questioning modern birth practices then that is progress.

I doubt it will have much impact. It's a novel, which is probably why the reviewer felt free to be so nasty. - Surviving

Just placed a hold on it at the library! There is an upsurge of critical viewpoints on how our culture does motherhood happening in art right now. A very talented group of actors/mothers here in Vancouver just produced a play called Motherload that painted a pretty hilarious/touching/raw/grim picture of being a mother in modern society.

http://thecultch.com/events/motherload/

This play had a killer beginning - it opens with all five actresses on stage holding coffee cups and dishing about how childbirth has changed their nether regions in very blunt terms. Bam!