huge laparotomy scar

Body: 

Hi I'm new to this site, summary history 3 x bowel surgeries for bowel obstructions (ie a huge midline scar) ; 2x caesarians ; rectocele, urocele and a slightly descending cervix; and I use intermittent self-catheterising to empty my bladder fully otherwise I get urine infections. Underlying condition affects bowel and bladder smooth muscle ie big floppy bladder and big floppy guts! In spite of all this I manage myself quite well although am underweight - bowels don't absorb well. So I have constant experiments with diet, fluids, exercise - any ideas I can get really. I am realising that WW posture is quite a challenge for me, probably because of the huge laparotomy scar at the front of my belly. It is hard to achieve the combination of enough lumbar extension plus elevating the ribs and relaxing stomach - I think the scar tissue from the surgeries has clamped me down into a more flexed position. Does anyone have any suggestions for stretching this out, other than by doing the exercises as best I can? I do think this is important work for me to do, as it could potentially help me to improve bowel and bladder emptying and the risk of my celes getting worse as I get older!

Hi Celeae,
It does sound like you have a lot going on there, and that you are doing the best you can with it. Of course we would tell you to do the whole woman work gently and as you go along you will see how much you can benefit from it. But, you may want to consult with Christine to see if there are any additional precautions or tips she may have with the change in your internal structure from those surgeries.
Just wanted to say hello and welcome.

I agree you just have to start slowly with the work and see how it goes. I have scars on my belly from ruptured appendix surgery which happened several years before my first baby. Probably not anywhere close to what you have, but I will say, I was pleasantly surprised at how those scars survived pregnancy and birth of two very large kids! Our bodies can certainly stretch and give when they have to. Just take it gently and, as they say, listen to your body. And take some good WW measures when you pee - down on hands and knees once in awhile, perhaps.....just to make sure you are completely emptying at least once a day. - Surviving

Hi Celeae,
Thank you for sharing & for your questions. I'm so pleased you found this site. I think the WW aooroach has the potential to be very helpful & beneficial. It's actually a very holistic, safe and healthy approach - so it's kind of hard no to be!

Re surgical scars. I had a caesarian with my first baby but not with the 2nd. So my scars stretched over 9 months to pregnancy belly proportions - so I think you'll be absolutely fine with the WW posture! In fact if you are chronically flexed a little, this may well be contributing to your experience of pelvic organ prolapse. Starting with the posture would be a gently intro for your body to this work. Start asap/today/now! It's really very simple. When I demonstrate it to women they often say; "Is that it!?". Almost in a "what's the big deal?" sort of way. The truth is, it's not a big deal, it's normal! It's just that so many of us have habitually gone out of alignment, so that normal has become not normal. It's natural, safe and healthy. The danger is in not being in good posture.

Take it gently, slowly and patiently. You've go the rest of your life to do this. In time the posture will become 2nd nature and you won't even have to think about it. Work within your means, but up to your challenging point, if needs be. Gently stretch yourself into good posture. You'll feel so much better on so many levels if you do.

I suggest you invest in some resources. It's hard to know what to do without support. If you're able to, see a WW teacher or book in for a SKYPE/tel call. The exercises re-invigorate your body; increasing strength and flexibility - and enables women to take care of their bodies and optimise their abilities to maximise their health.

Wishing you all the best, and lots of encouragement to engage with this slow, life-long and long lasting work.
xwholewomanuk

Thank you Surviving, the tip about peeing on hands and knees is a very good one. I test my urine twice a day with strips to check on leucocyte and nitrite levels, which are often slightly higher than they should be, indicating a low grade UTI. For people who catheterise, it is apparently "normal" to have this, its not something to treat with antibiotics unless the symptoms of UTI get worse. I'm not happy at the thought of harboring even a low-grade UTI. But since I have been peeing on hands and knees I think I have been emptying my bladder more fully because my strip readings have improved over the last couple of days. Not the easiest thing to do but a great piece of advice, I shall continue!

Thank you wholewoman, yes I'm very pleased to have found this amazing site and have already spent several hours exploring and learning from it. Well done to everyone for creating such a useful resource, I wish I'd found you long ago....