Breathing confusion

Body: 

Hi ladies,
I was reading through some posts, and there was mention of breathing into/expanding the upper abdomen/under ribs. There was even a quote from the Hips book. I thought WW breathing was to be directed into the relaxed lower belly!?! Help please!

Forum:

Hi Sea Turtle

I may have made the comment you are referring to as after my recent consult with Christine I mentioned this. She said I was small under my ribs and I needed to focus on pushing that area out (I don't think she used the words push). She meant with my breath. Well I have worked on this in the mirror - a lot at first as I had to get used to even the feeling of that area expanding. I now have a rounded belly rather then just my lower belly being rounded. I always found it hard to breathe into my lower belly and now I just breathe and it expands the whole belly. Watching a toddler is a brilliant example as they have those round bellies. I still have to concentrate it at times but I put my hand/fist there and make sure it is expanding and that I can shut my mouth (as then I know I am using my nose).

You could start by looking in the mirror and seeing your breathing and what happens. Christine had me put my fist there (just below the centre of my bra in front) and said to focus, focus, focus on that as that was my major issue. And yes she said it's very common in the West. Just look around so many women are narrow through there even if they have a relaxed lower belly. She also said I need to lead with that area and that would help my walking in WW posture. I do of course have my chest up but think of leading with that and that area just under my ribs. I actually don't even look whether my lower belly expands now.

When I got better at WW posture, I also noticed that my tongue sits more forward in my mouth against my teeth opening up my air way and making my teeth be slightly apart in my mouth. I used to grit my teeth a bit and this stops this. If I get out of WW posture with my head and my breath, my teeth change. We also talked about this and Christine said that yes her tongue did something similar and that she had had that conversation with others.

I mention the tongue as it all ties in holistically with getting the breathing right. When I am busy, stressed etc then I notice things change and my tongue has moved and I can feel that I am smaller again in my upper abdomen.

Hope this helps.

Hi Activeandlapsed and sea turtle:

This is one of the many things to learn even though I consulted with Christine and she showed me how to put my fist directly under my bra and breath only thru my mouth. I practice this and sometimes look in the mirror. I believe I am one of the women with a small upper abdomen and have for years been concerned with my large belly causing me to try and pull it in. I am seem to be getting a little sore in that area and hope I am doing it correctly. I am trying so hard to relax lower belly. I would like ideas on how often to practice the breathing each day and any other advice. Thanks so much - barrae

Hi barrae - I admit that I have only heard of this exercise in the context of this thread and what A&L has told us about her consult with Christine. I guess I don't have that condition because I find the distinction between upper and lower abdomen a bit confusing in the context of the WW work. You should at ALL times be trying to keep the belly relaxed, and breathing in and out of the belly. I interpreted the exercise with the fist and the mouth-breathing in the mirror, as an experiment of sorts to see if you have this small upper abdomen thing going on. Not as an exercise per se. Anyone who understands this concept better than I (A&L or SH perhaps) please jump in and correct me. - Surviving

Hi,
It's breathing through your nose remember. I have expanded through my upper belly so have the rounded look now rather than a larger lower belly then small under my bra area. For me it was getting used to the feeling of that area expanding. I don't push it out but my breath does. I put my fist there whenever I want to check as it is quite a slight change rather than me having to 'try' really hard. I find the subtle more relaxed movements harder sometimes as I am used to really trying. A lot of prolapse management for me has been surrendering to my bodies natural way and trusting it. In terms of how often you check, you decide, it doesn't matter you can check everytime you think about it if you want.

Sorry if it is vague but it is a subtle getting to know my body and allowing it to change that has been a big part of my journey. If you feel that are expanding your fist then maybe don't worry about the belly breathing (and then in a day or two see if it's more natural). I had to take a few leaps of faith and let go of me wanting to control it all. It will be breathing as you do when you asleep so your body knows if you let it.

Sorry I am not inferring that control is an issue for you at all but it was for me :o)

Thank you for your comments. I am probably trying too hard and not learning to relax. I find breathing correctly while I am lying down to be more comfortable and my upper abdomen and lower abdomen seem better proportioned. I do concentrate on only breathing through my nose. I am a small boned person and feel that I am carrying too much weight - mainly in the lower belly and would really like to achieve the more rounded look. Learning to not push my belly in and out and letting breath do it has been hard. I will keep trying.

Barrae,
I found it easier to sit and get my breathing right. It was only after a year of working at this that things fell into place for me when standing. There were quite a few little tweaks I had to do but in a nut shell I had things right when sitting but not when standing and finally walking (I don't run yet). Once things fell into place I knew I had the posture when standing as my symptoms improved. I still have to work at it but it's gets more and more natural and my body is changing making it feel more natural too. I had to concentrate on the relaxation in some areas and concentrate on putting effort into pulling into posture in others.

Sounds like you are doing a great job of understanding your body and tweaking your posture. Your breath will mold your belly over time.

Hi ladies,
So I have focused on letting my upper abdomen inflate for a few weeks now. I notice a complete change in my shape already! Instead of a flat upper ab and a lower pooch. I have a child's torso shape ( like a&l mentioned). I realised too that my rib cage expands a bit with each breath, which I think is supposed to be normal. All these women chest breathing for decades must have no movement in there rib cage! Aren't there a bunch of little muscles in there that should be moving regularly ie. with you breathe? Anyone tell me if I am on the wrong track please! I feel good breathing this way in WW posture, but my rectocele seems a little bit worse. Would love to hear any insights....

Hi Sea Turtle,
It sounds like you have WW posture happening in your belly and your experience mirrors mine with changes to my shape.

My rectocele did not get worse though so I wonder if there is another aspect of posture that is not correct. I had to work on my shoulders being down and in the right place (not pushed back or rounded forward for other ladies). When my shoulders were right it really enhanced all my breathing work.

Do you notice changes in your tongue position in your mouth? I noticed this. I did not notice my voicebox so much (as Christine mentions in her book) but I did notice my tongue forward and rolled a bit when I got the position with my chest and belly right.

I know what you mean about the rib cage and how sunken it looks on so many women. I always notice that now in others and while I used to think that was attractive now they look frail to me and not as confident in their bodies as WW posture looks.