Playing Softball

Body: 

Overall, Whole Woman work has been keeping me comfortable and I haven't limited myself activity-wise except for heavy lifting.

This summer though, I had a really rough time playing softball, a game I love to play and it's also a treasured social outlet.

While playing the field I was very conscious of keeping the posture (it's a lot like preparing for standing firebreathing), but when it came time to throw the ball sometimes I was left with muscle spasm on the left side. Also, taking the stance at home to hit was fine as was swinging for the most part, but then sprinting off to first led to horrible left thigh cramping/glute twinging. It really held me back :-(

Any tips out there? Is sprinting in WW posture something you've achieved? Maybe something about the twisting required with batting and throwing is messing things up?

I'm really wanting to play next season, but not if I'm making my situation worse.

Snapcracklepop

Forum:

Hi Snap - I'm not an athlete or even a runner (certainly not a sprinter!). I do run on toes a bit (in place) for exercise, that's about it (brisk walking suits me better). So I can't speculate as to what is causing these twinges during your games. But I wouldn't stop playing! None of us can stay in perfect posture all the time; we do our best, and we don't worry about making things worse because we know how to use the tools to overcome these little lapses. Perhaps by next season you will have figured this out, or advanced in your practice of posture to the point where it doesn't happen anymore. - Surviving

Thanks for the encouragement Surviving :-) It's nice to be reminded that of course there will be times that I'll be out of posture. I guess what I was experiencing this year was playing softball in a whole different body. Last season was just before I started WW work and so the aches, pains and twinges were of a more familiar variety. In a way it's cause to celebrate because all of the work I've put in has really made a difference. Something to remember when I'm playing in next year's WW masterpiece...

Snapcracklepop