cystocele- heaviness and throbbing in vagina

Body: 

Hello,

i am 31 years old and just gave birth to my first baby 5 weeks ago.

My cystocele appeared almost exactly four weeks postpartum. I am devastated as I had never even HEARD of prolapse prior to this incident. 2 OB's have told me it is mild to moderate but that over the next few months it will heal with time (and kegels).

About a week after it first appeared, I started having throbbing and heaviness symptoms in my vagina, to the point where its hard to be on my feet for more than ten minutes. I am VERY upset and scared by these symptoms, prior to this, it just felt like a tampon wasn't pushed in quite far enough.

Can you offer any insight to this sensation and which exercises are best to relieve it? is it safe to start Christine's exercises (I purchased her First Aid for Prolapse Video) at 5 weeks postpartum or am i too fresh?

Thanks,

Cali2015

Dear cali2015,

I don't have any insight re: the throbbing-heaviness symptoms, but wanted to welcome you to the Whole Woman community here on the forum. I'm sure women with more postpartum wisdom will post.

My advice is to first put your efforts into learning the posture via the First Aid for Prolapse video you have and then being mindful about doing your everyday life in posture. In my experience with this work, this is more beneficial than doing exercises.

Your OBs are right in the sense that your prolapse will heal with time. It takes your body up to two years to fully recover after giving birth. Kegels are another matter. Many of us have found traditional kegels detrimental and felt better when we discontinued them. Christine has much to say on the topic and if you type kegels into the search box in the upper left hand corner of the page you'll get plenty of information.

Do your best to relax with it all...easy to say I know...but the more relaxed you are, the better your breathing can support you in the posture. Breathing properly is key!

Enjoy your wee one cali2015,
Snapcracklepop

5 weeks seems early to start exercises in my opinion. At that stage I was still in great pain (sounds like you throbbing pressure and couldnt stand up for long). It took me a long time to feel just okay but then again I was sucking tucking and doing kegels until 10 mo PP. Now I'm 13 mo PP and still slowly seeing improvements and things are so so much better although still not where I want things to be. I am doing the yoga workouts now but I'm still very mindful and careful about how I move. If I were you, I'd focus on posture, breathing and slow walks for at least several more weeks. You should get to the point where you'll be able to stand up nearly all day. Patience is key. It sucks that it can take a long time to heal. Please keep us posted.

Hi cali - very good advice given above, and I just want to add that it is VERY typical for the prolapse to show up a few weeks later, not immediately after birth. Be gentle and patient with yourself and do start to learn WW posture and put it into practice. You will feel better physically and emotionally if you do. Congrats and enjoy this wonderful time with your babe. Your body has done a great thing and it needs some time and care to heal. - Surviving

thank you for your words of encouragement. it is a relief to hear you have started to see improvements, albeit slow and steady. what do you mean by improvements exactly? Less of a visible "bulge"? Less feeling of a tampon falling out? Are you doing any other exercises now besides yoga?
thanks!