Hanging From a Pull up Bar

Body: 

I was playing with my 14 month old at the park today and I briefly grabbed onto a monkey bar to try hanging with just my arms. At first I was leery about doing that but I cautiously wanted to try. I also have a pull up bar at home. Before baby, before prolapse, I used to really like doing chin ups and i even got strong enough to do a full pull up. Now I avoid trying to chin up or pull up. However, I've been wondering if it would do damage to hold on and just hang. If it were okay, I'd like to do it. Christine, do you think there's anything wrong with that? Does that cause too much intra-abdominal pressure? What's going on biomechanically when you hang with just arms and feet not planted? With arms overhead and body elongated, that seems like a safe position. But, does hanging take away some of the lumbar curve? When both feet are off the ground, what does that do to the organs and the intra abdominal pressure? I'm trying to apply everything I've learned in the book, yoga DVDs and in this forum, but I haven't come up with an answer myself. I'd like to be playful at the park with the bars, but I don't want to do damage either. Does anyone have a good technical answer?

Forum:

I can't give you a technical answer, and I haven't hung from a bar in years, but your post sure makes me want to go find one! I would think it would be great for upper body strength, range of motion in your shoulder joints, and an awesome all-over stretch. I'm thinking it probably doesn't affect your prolapse one way or another. But this is just an opinion. Now where can I find that bar? - Surviving

Hi - first time mama...
A while back I had a go at hanging and when lifting up found my lower body swinging forward, curling & lifting up the knees, which would compromise the lumbar curve. I'm not sure that that would do any damage though!
I just popped outside to hang from my hills hoist washing line (lol) & I figured that if you wish to keep your WWP as much as possible especially head and neck alignment, belly relaxed, and crossed your ankles while hanging and lifting ( while keeping shoulders down as far as you can) the body would keep its lumbar curve, and not curl & swing forward... have fun!

Aussie Soul Sister

I think hanging is a fab stretch - go for it! One of the only pieces of exercise equipment I own (and it's in storage - lol) is a tall thing that you place your forearms on to hang and then either do knee lifts or full leg lifts. It's a bomber workout for the abs and safe for prolapse as well.