Elliptical

Body: 

I used our elliptical for exercise during my most recent pregnancy and really enjoyed it, especially since it is an indoor activity and summer where I live can be dangerously hot. Now that I have developed a prolapsed uterus (3 weeks ppl), I am wondering if it is going to worsen my prolapse. I am now 8 weeks ppl and have also enjoyed Christine's WW exercises this past couple of days Anyone else use an elliptical? Thoughts?

Forum:

Hi Postpartumhealing,

Congratulations on the birth of your baby!

Years ago I thought the elliptical was okay as long as WW posture was maintained. It took researching and writing my hips book to help me understand how unnatural and probably detrimental the elliptical is. The reason being that the arches of the feet never fully extend (toes fully flexed) and the knees are always slightly bent, which causes the lumbar curve to flatten and the organs to be pulled toward the back.

Not sure if there is a way to workout on the elliptical while extending through the hips, knees, and feet. If so, great!

Christine

Thanks for the reply Christine! Neither my midwife or chiropractor had anything to say against it but I felt like it was a bit unnatural. Probably not the best choice for me right now. I will continue using the ww exercises until I feel less discomfort and can walk/jog as well.

Hi Postpartumhealing - sometimes newbies come here thinking that WW is primarily an exercise program. Since this is your first post, and you haven't mentioned posture, I will ask you how you are doing with the WW posture? Once you nail this posture, you will be able to tell for yourself which activities are good or back for prolapse, depending on how your organs feel, and whether or not you can maintain lumbar curvature while doing them, either with or without some modification. - Surviving

Thx Surviving! Trying to stay in posture as much as possible. Trickiest is holding infant who is still floppy :) You make a good point. I have never tried elliptical in posture but I think I will see how it feels.

SH, some will disagree with me, but I feel that a good treadmill is an acceptable substitute for regular walking (when the weather prevents walking outside for long stretches of time). I know it's not exactly the same as walking. But it's prolapse-friendly and it keeps you moving when the other options are slim. You need to be able to stand upright and assume true WW posture (not leaning forward as you might have to on a small unpowered treadmill). On mine, I can stand and walk in good posture while swinging one arm and keeping the other hand resting on the arm of the machine (this is for safety, to keep me from drifting back or forward on the belt). I do brisk walking, not running, so I can't speak to the pros and cons of that. - Surviving

THANK YOU ALL for enlightening me...I am working on improving my bladder prolapse and was using the elliptical at the gym...well I won't be anymore! This is a wonderful forum...I am so glad to be a part of it.