Advice about supplements

Body: 

I'm trying to decide what, if any supplements I need to take to optimise my general well being. I eat very well (but am still prone to sugar cravings and must work on that). I have read so many of you take magnesium among other things but don't have the first idea if I'm deficient in anything. I'm suspicious of multi vitamins - are they a waste of time? But also don't want to pop pills if I don't need to....I've recently had some reassuring results with my digestive woes with a low dose of daily pro-biotics and am interested in looking at other beneficial supplements. Do I need to get tested for deficiecy before I start taking anything or do I just choose the best supplements for a woman still breastfeeding, still mid thirties with a tendency to catch every bug that's going!

Forum:

Miss D, I think you have broached a topic that is subject to a very wide range of opinions, especially on a forum like this one, where so many members take their health quite seriously.

I don't want to give too much of an opinion here, because I am coming from having a very poor diet and taking no supplements, to having a much better diet and taking certain things that I feel are right for me. My transition came primarily from a diagnosis of autoimmune disease in the immediate family.

It really depends very largely on your diet and where it is lacking, and on age and any other physical conditions that apply. We all have to do our own digging and piecing together of a plan that we feel right about.

I personally take a fair amount of magnesium, and vitamin D. Vitamin D levels can and should be checked with bloodwork. I don't know if there are tests for magnesium, but it's one of those things that many people are deficient in. I take it for muscle cramps and it has greatly improved my sleep. - Surviving

Yes I suppose it's a very wide question! I think I'm going to see if I can get tested. Especially interested to know magnesium and iron levels. Just wondering about optimum bits and minerals for my age and stage. Thanks for the input!

I too find the subject of nutrition confusing but interesting. A few years ago I visited a Naturopath and she was very helpful in assessing me. She sent some of my hair for analysis and also spent quite some time asking about my diet,life style and worries. She worked alongside a herbalist and I felt that I could use their advice to get the nutrients I needed from some herbal medicine,diet and life style changes and supplements. The real problem I feel is knowing how to get the right combinations of things like minerals and vitamins as sometime over doses r as bad as under nourishment! If u can afford to see a Natropath,someone qualified to work with natural remedies to heal the body in harmony with nature , You will probably feel that it is money well spent. Good luck! Ps.My daughter , a mum aged 38 , and I both use a magnesium product which you spray on aching joints and find this an easy way to gave extra magnesium in our system!

I also find the whole subject rather confusing and just try to stick to as-whole-food-as-possible "supplements". For example- raw honey, coconut oil, olive oil, herbal teas, desiccated liver, spices like cinnamon and turmeric, etc. The two pills that I do occasionally take are probiotics and magnesium. I used to take cod liver oil but the recent controversy left me more confused than ever and I've given it up for now.

I agree Chicka about the fish oil. You can supplement omega-3 with an algae-based DHA product. That's where the fish get it - from the algae. Avoids possible contamination from toxins accumulating in the fish liver. - Surviving

It is confusing! The vitamin d disaster really made my rectocele horrible for aged because my body was rejecting it and I had daily upset stomach issues until I stopped taking it. I recently saw an ad that sold postal testing kits for the hair analysis but think I'll see someone in person for peace of mind. I feel that with my immune system so weak just now I'm definitely lacking in something!

Yes I too try to get as much in through whole foods as possible. Sometimes I feel like there aren't enough meals in the day to get in all my nutrients! I'm interested in magnesium but don't have any symptoms that suggest I'm deficient in it - brain fog aside but that probably just how I am since having the second baby!

Have u looked at Sprouting ? It is really easy Mung beans especially and the shoots r little power houses of enzymes ,cheap and delicious on salads and soups or in place of letteuce. Try googling the subject it is really interesting. I think the sun is so important too , something which is missing in my life at present:( It is def harder in the winter to have easy healthy food I think!

Ooh I have no idea what this is! Will google! Thank you!