Belly binding

Body: 

After I had my second baby, 9 weeks ago, I wore an abdominal belly binder. At this time I had no idea what a prolapse was and hadn't even heard of it...though now that I know I realize I probably had a first degree uterine prolapse after the birth of my first baby. Anyway, when I wore the binder (starting around 3 weeks postpartum), I remember trying to make it extra tight so I could "get back in shape". I remember first feeling my prolapse symptoms after wearing it. I had not had any symptoms with my first degree prolapse. I now have a stage 2 prolapse with possible rectocele. I am wondering if the belly binder had a part in worsening my existing minor prolapse. Why are women not advised to stay away from these things? I wish someone had told me not to wear it. Then again, maybe it had nothing to do with it. Thoughts?

Yes, it is certainly no surprise. Once you understand how intraabdominal pressure pushes the organs to the front of the body with every in-breath, it becomes obvious how chronically pulling, or binding, the belly in causes the organs to be pushed toward the back.

Kt, no one warns women because no one except Christine is accurately describing female pelvic anatomy and teaching women how to care for themselves. And she still gets criticized because the health/fitness/medical/pharma establishment is so heavily invested in the status quo. - Surviving

Yes, I believe you are right Surviving. I am fortunate to have found this site early in my prolapse. Wish I had been introduced to it even before a prolapse. Wish I had grown up knowing how important posture is and how to avoid certain exercises that really aren't the best for women. Regardless, I am telling all my mommy and future mommy friends about prolapse and about this site. Also, getting rid of belly binder...

Hey ladies, do you remember back when laying on the bed to zip up your tight jeans was the belly binding method? And now they advertise those damn waist cinching devices on the television. And, don't forget those corsets from days past. I think I actually read that they caused internal damage in some women.
It seems that the quest for the perfect skinny belly just won't die. We, as women, are much more than how we are expected to appear to an unrealistic world out there, much much more than that!