Low cervix

Body: 

Hi
I am 11 days pp and I have noticed that my cervix is very low (about half a finger from the opening of my vagina). Is this something normal and should correct itself within time or is it prolapse? I had a very quick labour (4hrs with only 8mins of pushing) and my son was 9 pounds. I had no tears.

I had prolapsed bladder after first delivery 3 years ago but through intensive pelvic floor exercises and Pilates it reverted itself and I was no longer having any symptoms and felt like prolapse is no longer there. I was expecting for it to return after another delivery and I thought I prepared myself mentally but it is obviously not the case as I'm freaking out that things are now going to be much worse :(

I really hope that my cervix will lift itself up while everything heals inside.... Is it possible?

Thank you

Hi mamma - it is quite common for these PP bulges to subside on their own, in the months following birth - this is what happened with me after two very large babies. I would not necessarily assume that your intensive pelvic floor exercises had anything to do with that. I did plenty of that, too, in the years between childbearing and menopause, and ended up here, managing cystocele and rectocele with Whole Woman posture.

If you have studied Christine's work at all (as I see you joined here several years ago and got some good help back then), you know that kegeling pulls the organs in the direction of prolapse. Instead, the organs need to be held forward over the pubic bones with correct posture, breathing, and gravity. Traditional Pilates moves that work the "core" are equally detrimental to female pelvic support.

So......11 days is too early for you to draw any conclusions, but if I were you I'd get with the WW work now, while your body is in healing mode and practically begging for you to help it along in the right direction! Congrats and enjoy your babe. - Surviving

Thank you Surviving.

I suffered from chronic back pain. I bought a book and DVD after my first birth and I tried to remain in the WW posture but this only agrevated my back pain. Pilates makes me to be pain free... So I am unsure how to achieve both...

Understand that WW posture is not contrived; it represents the natural and healthy shape of the female spine, before it was thrown out of whack by such things as traditional Pilates moves that have you pulling your stomach in. So know that if you are doing that, you most definitely will aggravate your prolapse. - Surviving

Some famous woman named Diane Gilman (HSN Star) tells her story with POP. She ended up having surgery. some in the comments on the story mention getting advise from C. Kent at whole woman.

the story is up now on www.people dot com

This is great news, Sylvia, thanks so much! I so appreciate the comments - THANK YOU!!