Abdominal muscles

Body: 

Greetings to the Whole Woman Forum. I would like some advice/feedback if possible. I would like to know how we keep our abdominal muscles toned while practicing the WW posture.
Thanks in advance
Adele

Forum:

Hi Steadele- WW posture, diligently practised all day long, is how we keep our abdominal muscles long and strong. It is all about the posture.

What workouts are you doing? You might enjoy Yoga 3rd Wheel. Or even Goddess Belly (not just for post-partum moms). Maybe you just need to change up your routine a bit, and give yourself more of a challenge. Big sale going on! - Surviving

Yes I do practice WW posture all day and have been for over a year now . I'm having success with it as well. So much so that I am able to manage my Stage 2 vaginal prolapse. I don't even consider surgery. I also do the ballet exercises in Saving the Whole Woman book and the DVD as well as the Yoga First Wheel. My understanding of the posture has always been to pull up while keeping a relaxed lower abdomen (belly) and that's what I been doing. A few months ago i pulled a muscle and although not too serious it never really healed to my satisfaction so I went to see an osteopath. He fixed the problem but told me that my lumber spine was weak and not well supported by my abdominal muscles which needed toning. He gave me some exercises....not sit ups or crunches but something similar although more gentle. Now I'm somewhat confused as to whether my belly should be relaxed or toned and i don't want to put any downward pressure on my pelvic organs.

Hi Adele,

You didn't tell us the location of the pulled muscle, but I am assuming it was your lumbar spine.

It is my experience that the WW work builds very strong trunk muscles, yet this is the most difficult area to explain and help women understand without personal instruction.

I believe your effort to "relax the lower belly" may be causing the problem. While my lower belly is relaxed, and I have used that instruction in the past, the main focus of "action" of the abdominal wall should be a midriff that is held out by a strongly lifted chest. Here the psoas muscles, which along with the spinal extensors lift and hold the trunk upright, are allowed their full range of motion.

If I focus on a "relaxed lower belly" is seems to cause a collapse of my strongly held midriff. In WW posture the abdominal wall is not actually relaxed, (as in flopped out) but rather held strongly forward. A long abdominal wall is a strong abdominal wall. All our exercises that lift the baton overhead while keeping the shoulders down, etc., strengthen the body in this way.

If you find that your crunch-type exercise feels good and strengthening, great. I personally do very little shortening and bulking of the abdominal wall, as it just feels stressful to spine, belly, and pelvic interior.

Christine

Hi All, to add to this great thread, I have found myself being lead up hills and in general by my torso...in a previous post I mentioned walking in WWP up a hill almost effortlessly with my barrel shaped torso.

I love the 3rd wheel, with the reverse breathing sit ups and the arc floor to full human extension with the baton and the upper body exercises like the torso twist found in most of your videos, Christine - the foot arch exercises with the FH extension using the baton, along with re - developing the ability to hold up my torso while sitting again! I just love all of the exercises - just mentioned a few of my absolute favourites!

Just recently we were advised in a group setting to lean back in our chairs to support our backs and I just said that I could support my own back, and yes I was sure I could and did....many of them already have heard of WW through me so I will keep talking about it....

Best wishes,
Aussie Soul Sister

Thank-you Christine. I appreciate your response to my post. I pulled a muscle in my lumbar spine and my groin on the right side. I think you are correct when you say the problem may be in how I'm relaxing my lower belly. Your explanation of a long strongly pulled up abdomial wall makes sense to me and although I haven't been using the baton for the past 6 weeks, now that I'm on the mend I will resume those exercises. I remember how my upper abs felt stronger after using the baton and my balance improved as well. Unfortunately there is no practioner near me but I have decided to take a cue from something you wrote in one of your books about how you came to manage your prolapse. I'm going to pay close attention to what works best for my body regarding food, rest, exercise and my everyday activity using the Whole Woman posture. It is all part of the journey.
Warm regards,
Adele

A shout out to Aussie Soul Sister. Thanks for the review of the third wheel . It's the next purchase I'll make.:)

I used to focus on my lumbar spine and relaxing the belly. Now I find that the best thing to focus on is lifting the chest. I definitely feel a positive difference from that small change!

I totally agree that it isn't helpful to focus on the lumbar spine.....that will take care of itself, and too much attention there could cause one to overdo it.

However, someone who is chronically holding their abs tight, can still lift the chest easily (and might very well be doing so, if they are chest-breathing). So be sure and keep that belly relaxed. This is more of a reminder for newbies. I know First time mama knows what to do! - Surviving

Hi stedele,
You may not know that I started with the Save Your Hips DVD to further heal hip dysfunction and straighten out my limbs, hip ligaments, and balance out both sides of my body & I got those results + a lot more.

The instant I began living in WWP, I noticed that the start of painful crunching concussion of the hip bones, and the feeling of no hip support at all, at times when changing directions before that STOPPED!
So when Christine brought out the hips program,I used the hips DVD as a foundation to the rest of my DVDs...

The 3rd wheel came out later and it is one of my favourites also, and I am constantly tweaking the posture just like we constantly adjust the direction of the car while driving..I used the posture alone for over 1 year before taking my time to learn and do the exercises.

All the best,
Aussie Soul Sister

I have the Save Your Hips DVD and book and I do the sitting exercises every morning before I get out of bed. I passed it along to my daughter who was complaining of hip pain so now she is doing the exercises. I must admit that I love the ballet exercises and the video dancing in the Saving the Whole Woman book and DVD. I danced ballet for many years in my youth and the steps come easily and naturally to me.
Adele