A tip for healthier sleep

Body: 

In her VV Health dvd, Christine talks about the how our circadian rhythms are disrupted by the constant glaring lights of modern life. Our ability to manufacture melatonin and serotonin is severely compromised, and disruption of our sleep cycle has huge implications for health. In my family we are dealing with several health concerns these days, including a diagnosis of autoimmune disease, and I wanted to share a suggestion for something new we have embraced that really helps.

There are a number of blue-light-blocking glasses readily available (we got ours from a small Canadian company--not expensive). If, in the hours between sunset and bedtime, you can shield your eyes from harsh fluorescent light and the light that comes from TVs and the screens of all our computers and devices......you will be preparing your mind and body for sleep and the quality of your sleep will most likely improve. I love wearing them; they cast a warm orange glow over everything and allow me to watch movies before bed guilt-free.

You can get regular glasses, you can get big ones that fit over other glasses, and you can get clip-ons. I have them all. I only use the clip-ons for evening grocery shopping; the rest of the time I like the more complete coverage the other styles give me.

I care for an elderly parent and my sleep is often disrupted. I grab these even if I just have to get up briefly. I have sworn never to be without them! - Surviving

That is really interesting, surviving! And good timing too, because my daughter actually had a show last night where her booth was set up in the room with all the fluorescent lights. When we dropped the kids off, she was curled up on the couch suffereing a massive headache from the exposure to those lights.
I will have to tell her about those glasses.

Thanks Surviving - will look into this further!
I'm sure we are affected much more than we realize!

Surviving I am sure u r right. I believe those glasses help to preserve our eyesight too and slow down deterioration due to age. I had the glasses on my wish list but shall now follow your advice and buy them .

As I suffer insomnia , go to bed too late as the littlest thing upsets my prep for bedtime. Thanks so much for your continuing support to us all, even though I have been absent for some time :-) with love and merry Christmas to you and all here xx

Kiwi girl and I wish u a good sleepy 2016 !

Thanks and same to you all! - Surviving

I have been suffering with stress incontinence for a number of years now. I am 52 and had a hysterectomy 12 years ago. I do not have a prolapse. In the last six months I have been visiting a stress incontinence clinic. I was then referred to a surgeon and am now waiting for a date to have a pelvic sling inserted. The consultant has informed me that he has had very successful results from this but he did tell me the negatives too. I was just wondering has anybody had this procedure and what are your views on having it done. I am healthy, active and have 2 grandchildren who I like to run and play with. I also do Pilates. Look forward to hearing your response.

Hi Molly and welcome. You must understand that this is the Whole Woman website, where we work hard every day to keep women OUT of the operating room. My personal opinion, just based on what I have learned here over the course of the last few years, is this: The odds of this surgery "fixing" your condition without causing other problems, aren't greatly in your favor, despite what your surgeon says. And he will consider it a success if it doesn't fail right away.....what about a year or two or five into the future? Do more research and think hard before you make a final decision. - Surviving

I believe that Googling the subject will give u a better cross section of outcomes from these ops than your surgeon. I am 65 and an active nan too and all my incontinence and prolapse probs have been overcome through the posture and help on this site together with DVDs for exercise advice. I have two friends who had sling op. One seems ok but it is early days ,the other is a retired nurse and feels that the facts were not all given to her before the sling was fitted. She was allergic to the material inserted and in agony for weeks. After a year she was still not right. Take a look at a video of how this op is done, I found it shocking . The main thing is that it is very difficult to 'undo' this op as I understand that the material becomes part of you. I tried kegels before finding this site and they were a waste of time . The posture,exercises and diet prescribed by Christine have been a life saver for me and I walk miles every day and am very active and healthy. My friends did not discover this amazing site in time. I wish you every happiness for the future .

I'm not sure that I have insomnia but I often get into difficulties to sleep every night. I use some drops of lavender oil to massage my forehead as well as drink a glass of warm sugar-free milk. I feel a little bit better though the sleep problem is still. I will try your tip.

Hi camryn - I too use some lavendar aromatherapy to help me sleep. Christine recommends this along with hops. I don't have hops, but I shower with lavendar soap and usually keep a bar (or at least the wrapper!) nearby when I sleep. I think the warm milk might be helpful for some, though I don't eat dairy myself. I remain faithful to my blue-blocking glasses and would never be without them when I am watching a movie or surfing the web before bedtime. Keep the room as dark as you possibly can, to maximize that melatonin production.

Once I started taking my sleep seriously, I felt better. I hope you will too! - Surviving