Rectocele operation 12 yrs ago - now failing

Body: 

I had a rectocele op 12 years ago during my menopause - many years before I found this forum. It was successful at the time, and I had no post op problems. I don't know much about the op, but I know it was done via my vagina rather than via my rectum. However over the years the problems with trying to pass motions have got difficult again.

I have changed my diet a lot in the past few years and this has helped and as long as I limit my carb intake and eat salad each day, then I do not get constipated. However often now I find I have to kind of support my pelvic floor - or push upwards in the outer area in between the vagina and anus which helps move things along. I guess I am worried that this problem might get more difficult for me as I get older. I am 63 now. Would the exercises that are promoted here help even though I have had an operation?

Hi Agapanthus and welcome. It it a common misconception that Whole Woman is an exercise program. It is much more than that....it is a return to nature posture where the organs are held forward against the lower abdominal wall, held in place by gravity and proper belly breathing. Whole Woman posture redevelops the natural lower lumbar curvature that women have in all cultures where they have not been taught to suck in their bellies and tuck their butts (which is one of the things that sends our organs southward in the first place!). The exercises strengthen the muscles and tendons that are needed to best hold and carry ourselves as we were meant to.

Because you have altered the natural dynamics, we cannot predict how much success you will have. But then again, we can't predict anyone's success because so much depends on the effort put forth and how well the principles are understood and internalized, which takes time and work. But one thing is sure, you don't want more surgery, because there will be less tissue to work with this time, and there is no way you will get another 12 years out of it. Better to make the best of what you have. Whole Woman posture has many benefits for hips, spine, pelvis, and really your overall health and well-being. So, give it a shot. It truly is your best bet for managing prolapse, post-surgery or not. Dive in and see how it goes. Keep us posted. - Surviving

Hi Agapanthus,
I'm so pleased you've found this website & forum. There's a wealth of information, guidance & support here. The WW approach works with the female anatomy. It's holistic as Surviving 60 says & becomes a way of life. It takes consistency & time to work, but the good news is it's healthy, natural, safe & for most women, effective. We have the rest of our lives to live in the way & it's never to late to be beneficial.

Women are never too old to benefit from the WW approach. Of course everyone is different & it's not possible to say for sure how long the benefit of the treatment may become evident or how effective it will be. However, it works with true female form & healthy living & will optimise your chance of symptom improvement.

For those who have had surgery - go carefully, work slowly & take notice of any feedback, positive & negative, that your body/mind gives you & never work beyond your comfortable limits.

If you are not used to exercise & find yoga/dance too demanding or physically very limited, you may find the very gentle '1st Aid for Prolapse for Elders' more appropriate.

All that said, the exercises generally help to speed up improvement of symptoms & health & happiness in general.

Good luck,
wholewomanuk