Prolapse and terrified...

Body: 

Hi,
I'm new here -- I am low vision so if I am not posting correctly, please forgive me. I'm 58 and had a total hysterectomy almost 8 years ago. About 6 years ago I was dx with rectocele and cystocele -- the surgeon said it was a 2. I have been going on with my life as much as I can (I have left side weakness & impairment) . A couple times per year I have what I call flair-ups and I had thought there might be a correlation with a yeast infection at the time. I also have Multiple Chemical Sensitivities so home remedies and non-prescription items work for me... so I apply a small amount of yogurt. Within 2 weeks the symptoms are gone and life goes on just fine... until about 1 month ago. Christmas is always hectic here and I admit I overdo -- I missed Christmas when I was in the nursing home and resolved to never miss it again. Anyway, for the past month, my peri area has been SORE, PAINFUL and I have the feeling something is falling out. I went to the walk-in clinic and then again the ER as my primary care said she doesn't handle those things and referred me to an OB-GYN who can't see me for another 2 weeks. No yeast infection or any other things they checked for, no UTI. The pressure is relieved when I lie down and I can see the rectocele with a mirror. I AM SCARED... I know I have to just wait til the OB-GYN sees me but I can't do anesthesia very well, and I don't do antibiotics or medicines well either. I have lived through much and this seems to be putting me over the edge. I can't sit or stand without the feeling on something falling out. I Kegelled myself into misery about 2 weeks back -- my physical therapists said to lighten up on the Kegels until things settled down and didn't seem so inflamed. So I did and the pain and burning is gone for the most part as long as I sit on my hip. It's just this feeling on pressure and falling out that is there every time I stand or sit... I sleep so-so at night but as soon as I start to think of getting out of bed to urinate int he morning, the pressure starts and stays all day. I am starting to dread getting out of bed. I am in a wheelchair most of the time unless I am laying down in my hospital bed.
If anyone has been there, done that -- let me know. If you have tips or SUCCESSES with non-surgery, let me know... if these indeed have flare-ups and they settle back down, let me know -- I need hope as I am in tears most of the time. I just got a new grandson and for the first few months, I didn't spend a lot of time with him. Now he is 7 months, a cutie-pie and my daughter needs my help with him. I admit, I have been lifting and bouncing and rocking him the past 2 months and I'm afraid that might have contributed to this.
Hugs to all of you,
AnneGirl

Hello annegirl and welcome to whole woman. So sorry to hear of your troubles. There is great hope that the post hyst women coming here can get help from the whole woman practices too. Christine is actually going to be coming out with a video just for the post hyst woman soon that should shed some more light on this and ways that you can gently do this work.

In the meantime, you may want to get yourself some raw local honey and apply a small dab vaginally for that soreness you are having. It should help get you some relief of your symptoms.

It would also be good to do some reading around this site to learn more about whole woman posture and how it helps with symptom management. Christine also has several articles on why kegels don't work that you may find very enlightening.

There is a way to feel better and live with prolapse, and you have found the place to learn that. Just take your time, do some reading, and ask us questions. We will do our best to help you through this.
Best wishes to you.

Hi annegirl, I wanted to add my welcome. It is very common to have other organs prolapsing after hyst, and a vault prolapse is the biggest concern. It is likely that a procedure was done (might be referred to as sacrocolpopexy) to tether the top of the vagina to the spine. It might be good to find out if you had this. The WW work can help you, but there are caveats where exercise is concerned, all of which you will learn about when Christine's new work comes out, as Aging Gracefully has referenced.

Your success with the WW postural work will largely be determined by how much vaginal length remains. The posture correction seeks to move the remaining organs forward and to help close and flatten the vaginal space to keep the encroaching organs out.

Do try getting down on hands and knees and breathing deeply in and out of the belly. This may give you a feel for how the posture correction can help. The goal is to recreate that dynamic when upright. But it is a slow and gradual process which is significantly affected by loss of the uterus, which is the "hub of the wheel".

What other issues do you have, why are you mostly lying down or in a wheelchair?

There is lots to learn here, but you do need to take it gently. You'll find many relevant discussion threads in the hysterectomy forum. If you are feeling pressured towards ANY kind of additional surgery, you might even consider a consult with Christine. There is no surgical solution for prolapse, and only in the case of an advanced vault prolapse should it even be considered. That doesn't sound like your problem right now. And everything you have written tells me that more doctoring is not the solution either! Take heart! Help is here. - Surviving

I dreaded getting out of bed today as the cycle starts in as soon as my feet hit the floor. But the comments here were well worth getting up for! In the early 2000, I had uterine fibroids which caused severe anemia. By the time the grapefruit size fibroid went through the uterus wall, the iron numbers were so low I was not a candidate for surgery without a blood transfusion -- which for conviction reasons I refused. I then was in bed 24/7 for about 4 months -- I have P.O.T.S. which was undiagnosed as everyone was dwelling just on anemia as my problem. I had lost the ability to sit up. When I was laying in an ER, a nursing team (3 men and 2 women) came in and forced (and held me) up against my will to meet a 5 minute requirement by my insurance company in order for their nursing home to take me. I suffered a mild ischemic stroke on the left side -- after the mild stroke, the nursing home agreed to take me. Long story short, I had the hysterectomy after 18 weeks of IV iron and thought I was HOME FREE with just having to learn to sit, walk, stand and dealing with the left side weakness... and now the prolapse is ruling my days (and nights).
Thanks you again for your welcomes and ALL suggestions and tips are welcomed -- the emotional depression is bad.
AnneGirl

Hi! I just wanted to say hello and let you know that you are not alone through this change.

I, too had a hysterectomy...about 21 years ago. It is a slap in the face to learn that I was lied to .... about how beneficial a hysterectomy would be for me ..... and then while in there, an assessment would be done and he would leave everything in that was not damaged. Well...not so!! I woke to everything being gone (even my appendix).

I had lots of pain (it wore me down!), a left ovarian cyst, some other terms I don't know the meaning of, a long history of anemia and heavy monthly bleeding/clotting, endometriosis, scarred/embedded left ovary, a "3-month old baby-size fibroid" in my uterus (per the surgeon), a mottled small, retroverted uterus (so what?), and some other stuff.

I found Whole Woman in April 2015 and have been here, learning tons. I have just recently started posting. My state of being is OK, then very sad/frustrated, and up and down. But, all of us here have been told to face the fear and turn our mind set to healing ourselves. A very good piece of information! And a great starting place!

I have a Bladder Prolapse .... and so, far nothing else has come tumbling down. It will be a year in April (DX two days before my birthday). Maybe, some is down lower, but I am not going to go get it checked out --- as I've learned here that our organs shift around all the time; plus, I do not trust doctors. I've have always sought out the natural healing/care options (except for that horrible day when I had surgery). ---- so I can so identify with your frustration now -----

So, get your reading glasses on. Start a mantra that you will be OK. Breathe and relax. Us hyster ladies can be grateful for where we are in life! As mentioned, go slowly. I have only got comfortable with the posture so far (breathing is not right yet). And I need much more posture practice! I still need to improve my eating habits (drop that sugar, Lady!!). I am waiting for Christine's new DVD and then I will delve in, with a song and a prayer!

As mentioned, fiddle with some of this --
* check out this site
* go to the Store tab and look at all of Christine's excellent materials
(I may be right in saying that the 1st Wheel Yoga DVD may be OK for us "H" gals; along with the Vulva Health DVD; and the Saving Post-Hysterectomy woman when it is produced)
* search for "kegels" and do some reading up
* do some word searching in the search box -- anything that you're wondering or worrying about)
* peruse the Hysterectomy Forum (not a whole lot of action there .... but do some reading)
* go to youtube and search for Christine Kent and watch the videos there
* find the self-exam pdf on this website
* check out Christine's blog
* read about honey and different oils
* search and read about constipation and correct "toileting"
* search for support garments that you may want to consider
* relax, write yourself up a pep talk to recite each day, breathe

Well, that should keep you busy for a bit of time.

No surgery, again, for me!!! To you: keep your ears closed when you get pressure from others to have surgery (I had the threat of losing my job .... in retrospect, stupid to cave over that! Plus family, husband pressuring me). So --- get yourself some cotton balls for your ears. Have faith that you are guiding yourself to the right things for your healing.

And stay here! I do not plan on going anywhere. It will be nice to share your company and we can travel this new road together.

Hugs!

Just returned from the OB-GYN and she had my past records... apparently the surgeon did some type of tethering the top to the lower sacrum area... so I am tethered... she said she felt the rectocele was now a 3 (from being a 2) and that the bulk of my pain and discomfort was from lack of estrogen. She recommended creams... I have multiple chemical sensitivities and am wondering what everyone else here is using... what works? what to stay away from?
She also mentioned she did not feel Kegel's etc., would fix this but to go ahead and do them if I wanted...

Sounds like your doctor is grasping at straws, because she doesn't know what else to tell you. Stay away from those estrogen creams, they aren't good for anyone. If you are experiencing vaginal dryness, try a dab of raw local honey inserted vaginally.
Christine's new post hyst video will be out soon, and should help you better understand what you are going through, and things that you can do.
And, kegels are useless at best, so don't waste your time with those either. Christine has several articles about them on this site. Well worth reading.

Has anyone in the forum had a Stage 3 and successfully managed it without surgery? and how? and is there any way to get the Stage 3 back to a Stage 2? I was living OK with the Stage 2...
Thanks in advance for your help...
Anne

Hi annegirl,
The problem is that we don't know how much this work is going to help you since you have had a hysterectomy. Our hope is that by doing this work gently, you will also be able to get some relief of your symptoms.
Severe prolapses can be managed very well with this work. I am among one of the many that has been able to do just that.
Just start doing the work gently, and really pay attention to how it makes you feel.

2:30 in the morning and can't sleep... worried about so many things w/ the rectocele and estrogen problem. It just seems like this is the beginning of the end for me. I'm getting very depressed over it. A couple of questions as I feel the experts are here who have been there, done that.
1) Can the large intestine/colon drop down into this rectocele as well? I seem to have a lot of pressure...
2) Does the estrogen affect the integrity of the rear vaginal wall -- as in this is why the rectocele got worse?
3) What do you do when it feels like a tennis ball is stuck in the vaginal area and you just can't sleep?
4) What sleeping positions work best?
5) I have a hospital bed and must keep my head elevated due to the P. O. T. S. -- is this putting stress and pressure on the rectocele as well?
6) and do physiotherapists help? my insurance covers them in a PT setting.
Many thanks for your help -- and support... I'm home bound and my support system is my daughter, who as she admits is tired of every sentence stating out prolapse... I never was this type of person before as I didn't let things get me down.
Take care, sleep well...
Annegirl

The PT approach is basically one of kegeling, which, as you can read from several blog articles by Christine, does nothing and can actually aggravate prolapse. I kegeled for years. Don't bother!

I don't know that estrogen would make the rectocele feel worse. It's prescribed to thicken the tissues and help mask the bulge. I personally wouldn't touch it, but everyone needs to weigh the risks against whatever relief they think they might be getting. Doctors will push it, because that's what they do - push drugs (among other things.....)

You will get lots of pressure from family/friends/doctors to have more surgery. This will only get worse the more you complain. Really start reading here and looking into Christine's work; form your own educated opinions about what you should be doing, and steer the discussions in that direction, or just don't have the discussions at all. There is a wealth of bad advice out there in the world.

Don't worry too much about sleeping positions. Sleep however you need to for your P.O.T.S. This is really outside the scope of this forum. Only a consult with Christine herself would really enable you to delve into that.

As a member of this forum, you have probably received Christine's February newsletter in which she announces that her post-hyst product may be out by the end of the month. - Surviving

I saw and read Christine's newsletter in my email inbox yesterday. I signed up to be notified when the post-hyst product has been produced.

In Christine's newsletter, once you click the link, she also asks for any comments as to what the PH Women would like to see in the DVD (I think it's going to be a DVD and not a book). Chatty, me I added my thoughts.

Hi All,

I have been following Whole Woman and Christine's very excellent advice for a couple of years but this is my first time posting a question to the forum. I am managing my prolapse to my satisfaction and have not ever considered the surgery, nor will I. My only concern is whether or not there is any danger to the prolapsed organ, which was never intended to see 'light of day', peeking out into what is not a sterile environment. Has there ever been any mention of danger to the prolapsed organ itself, eg, infection, irritation, other? I have not seen this discussed previously but would love to have that worry dispelled.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

Good question, keelaspet,
I haven't heard of any of the ladies getting an infection from their prolapse sticking out, and I certainly haven't had anything like that happen with mine. But, some of the ladies have had some chafing and sore spots on the part that sticks out. If that does happen, a little barrier cream, coconut oil, olive oil, etc. is suggested. Honey also has a lubricating and healing affect to it that is very beneficial.
I haven't had any chafing with mine, because it does stick out right after my periods, but I work diligently to get it to stay inside afterwards with the whole woman work, and that works for me.
I do wonder sometimes if it may also be a matter of vaginal dryness. I still have plenty of natural lubrication in mine, while other ladies, especially the post menopausal may not. All the more reason to keep the vagina itself healthy. The honey really helps create a healthy environment in the vagina. Lots of honey discussion here on the forum!
Hope that sheds some light for you.

Yesterday was awful -- I spent most of the day in the bathroom, sitzing and trying to manage things... I went to bed in tears... wondering if I am going to make it through this... balancing on the edge of a chair trying to type this... family here is tired of me mentioning the word prolapse... I am tired of mentioning the word prolapse... if I had the energy, I would sit and cry but I am too worn out... this seems just so overwhelming... it runs my life...please send good thoughts for me today?
Annegirl

Hi again- as I sit down to write, I find myself wanting to say basically the same things I've already said further up. Your family doesn't have the knowledge to help you deal with this in a constructive way, and the more you worry them with your complaints, the more they are going to push you to have more surgery. It is only natural they want to see your misery alleviated, so you need to give them a break, because only you can decide on a course of action and follow it.

Did you try getting down on hands and knees and doing some deep belly breathing? Did this give a feeling of relief from the worst of the discomfort? It should. This will give you a sense of what the WW postural work might do for you.

Hang in there. - Surviving

I had not heard of using honey before I started reading this forum. Thanks for the suggestion. It makes sense!

Cheers!