Clothing ?

Body: 

I finally have been able to sit down and watch the video that Christine has. It's wonderful and so helpful for understanding some of this. Now I have to figure out how to buy something to sit on! LOL! Anyway, I have a question about clothing....

You said to wear nothing tight around your waist, but instead wear lower slung pants and skirts. What about skirts that don't have a tight waistband, but still sit at the waist. I normally wear skirts that I've made and I simply use a piece of grosgrain ribbon or a facing for the waist. Is this okay, as long as they aren't tight? I'm assuming also that jeans with a normal waistband would definitely be out? Thanks for anymore insight you can give me on the clothing. : )

Vicki in Missouri

First of all, you have to tell us if you really have nine kids. :-) I think that’s grand…you must have beautiful holidays!

You are your best guide as far as clothing goes, but I’d think loose-fitting skirts like you describe would be fine. For whatever reason, I can’t even stand loose sweatpants or anything like that. Maybe it’s psychological at this point, but I’ve become very sensitive to where my top and bottom half meet about three inches below my belly button and can’t stand anything higher than that around my torso.

One or two pages back in the Lifestyle forum I wrote out how to lower a waistband on existing pants or skirt…you might find it helpful. I live in house dresses when I’m not in leotards. I made a very simple pattern several years ago that’s sort of become my signature lounging dress and each season I just make a new batch. Do you like any of the low-waisted jeans the kids are wearing? I found some a couple years back that were a bit lower in front than back, which is how I cut all the pants I sew.

I’d love to do a sewing video, but it doesn’t seem like there’s much interest in making clothing these days. I love working with fabric so much and wonder what I’d do if I had to SHOP for clothes!

Christine

I find that if I do wear anything on my waist that it definitely needs to be loose. I do find myself more irritated all day long though even if it is loose. For me, anything about 3 inches below my belly button is good. I shop in the juniors section and just buy larger sizes and I do wear a belt. Otherwise, those low rise pants would show more than my belly!!! Not something I'm looking for these days!!!! ha ha!!

Yes, I really do have nine children. :) They range in age from 4 1/2 to 25. My oldest is married and I have a sweet little grandson who is 19 months. :)

I'll look at the info on lowering the waistband. Fortunately most patterns these days are low-slung anyway. I'm not crazy about that style because I like shorter tops (I'm short 5'3") and I really don't want belly showing. So far the skirts I'm wearing aren't too tight and don't bother me, so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for now.

I LOVE to sew and HATE shopping for clothes, but you're right, there's just not much interest in sewing these days. I think it's because most women never learned how and now think they can't do it. : ) All of my daughter's can sew, even though some aren't crazy about it, but they can't at least make something decent, since there's not much decent available at the stores! : )

I loved your "Flowy" skirts that you were wearing in the video. They look so pretty and feminine. :)

Blessings,

Vicki