Vulva pain

Body: 

Hello! It's been ages since I logged on. For any new members reading this, this WW way of life really makes a difference to your quality of life. I'm forever grateful for it. My issue is vulva pain. It's as if it's mildly swollen or bruised for 1-2 days during ovulation and then same pain but more severe on the heaviest day of my period. Only relieved if I sit or lie down. I'm having to really chart and predict which day I'll receive that pain each period and avoid planning much that day - even standing cooking a meal is painful. Anyone else experience this? Is this going to get worse at menopause? I'm 35 with a 4yr old and 20month old. Any advice is most appreciated.

Hi LLL and thanks for stopping by, it's always good to hear from members who are doing well on Whole Woman.

Is this pain something new, or something you have experienced for a long time? Better or worse since having your babies? Better or worse since you started with the posture? The fact that you only have this pain when standing, and that even sitting down gives you relief, seems like an important clue. How does a nice relaxed but very mindful posture walk make you feel when you are having this pain? That might sound like the wrong suggestion, and you have probably already tried it, but if not, please do. Because if sitting helps, then maybe there is some pressure acting upon the sensitive tissues that could be similarly relieved by walking, versus doing all these standing and bending tasks that fill a young mom's day.

And if you haven't already, try this floor position, and see if it gives you even more relief than sitting or lying:

https://wholewoman.com/blogpix/CAKonfloor.jpg

Diet often plays more of a role than we think, so you might want to keep on the anti-inflammatory end of the food spectrum when you know these days are approaching. Perhaps an Epsom salts bath, or herbal sitz bath as Christine describes in V.V. Health, may help.

Hoping to hear from others who may also experience this. Wishing you some relief! - Surviving

Thank you Surviving! I'm reading this feeling huge relief as those suggestions seem like they will be extremely helpful! Only experiencing the pain after 2nd child. And yes I catch myself in very poor posture during those days - I seem to pull my upper body forward and tense so I'm going to make some posture reminders to put up around home, especially for those times. I forgot to add I'm also mildly incontinent on those days so I think being much more mindful of WW posture will help. Yes, I've instinctively gone to that pose without realising it may be quite beneficial. I'm going to research some anti inflammatory foods and with winter approaching here, I have a good case for some Epsom baths now! Thank you so much Surviving, I feel much more confident in at least reducing the pain, if not almost diminishing it. I do have that VV DVD which I watched ages ago so will look at that again too. So much info to help - I just needed a push!

Also, I just learnt that eating cacao or rich real dark chocolate a few days before menstruation can reduce pain, mood swings etc.

I'm all for that!! Let us know how things go, over the next few cycles. - Surviving

LLL my kids are at nearly exactly the same stages as yours (4 years and 17 months) and since baby two, CDs 1 and 2 I have awful pain in my vulva. I used to get period cramps, now I get 'whacked with a mallet' sensations instead!
What works for me is taking a rest and lying down when needed but in my job this is impossible so I double up on painkillers for these days. I take the maximum dose when o know I'm going to have to be standing for work and then do a lavender tea tree bath at night and have a glass of of wine too.
Over time the pain is lessening slightly. When my cycle returned at 9 on the pp I was unable to even stand to make coffee but it getting better slowly...

I should have said - I'm also 35 and after my first child I didn't get this. Hoping it goes with time - a girl I met recently had this for 3 years after her second baby and then it passed....

Hi! Awful to know you are going through this too but nice to know im not alone and hopefully it does go away! Yes, same, I used to get awful period cramps and now that "mallet" sensation! Your description did make me laugh! I'm going to report back as Surviving suggested and I hope those suggestions help you too.

Helps a lot! I could walk for miles just don't ask me to stand still! Crazy!

Hello!!! I've been meaning to login for awhile - so funny to see it is around 1 year since I last did - I didn't think it was that long! So, I still get the pain during menstruation and light pain during ovulation, EXCEPT one time where the month prior I had been consistently doing a daily WW workout - usually The Second Wheel and I would have been mindful of avoiding inflammatories such as dairy & wheat. Admittedly, I thought I was cured and slackened with my exercises and now still get the pain as I haven't got into a consistent routine again but I will! I am really grateful to know WW - I do a small set of WW exercises daily and fire breathing particularly when prolapse feels low. Actually at the moment there is some bulge just inside on the right side - I don't know what it is? But either way, I never feel too concerned as I know the exercises and fire breathing really help.

Hi LLL and thanks for the update. Keep up the good work. Exercising in posture, and firebreathing, are two essential tools of prolapse management; but the most critical thing is to be going throughout your day in WW posture (standing, walking, sitting, lifting, all day long). Is this becoming more automatic? There may never come a time when you don't have to think about it from time to time, but everyone needs to reach that milestone where the body remembers how to carry itself. Hope you are there by now.....it takes time and concentration. - Surviving

Thanks so much Surviving! It's lovely to hear from you & I really appreciate your advice. Your advice last year has been a huge help & again you have given more hope! I hope you are going very well.

Also yes, WW posture is definitely more automatic & I quickly notice if I'm not in good posture. I've been a member for 3 years now and while I still have lots to improve with my WW work & posture, the change has been amazing!

I am going on 7 years here, and continue to have these moments of realization. I've been rather cooped up this past winter and very bad about exercise. The last couple of evenings I have done some very serious posture walking and have never felt better. I truly admire those of you who are managing to work some good WW exercise into your day. It makes a difference and I appreciate our members who come on to remind us of that. Even I need that push at times! - Surviving

Oh thanks Surviving! That is very reassuring to know. Yes so worth it to put in the bit of effort.