3rd annual: Are shoes the cause of pelvic prolapse and dysfunction?

Body: 

Hi everyone,

I am a 35-year-old electrical engineer investigating the biomechanical effects of shoes on degenerative diseases and other health problems. During the last century, much was written about the importance of posture in health, yet one fact was practically never mentioned: It is impossible to have good posture or a natural gait when wearing shoes.

There are many reasons that shoes influence degenerative conditions such as prolapse. For example, the elevated heel of modern shoes tilts the pelvis such that the organs, both abdominal and pelvic, tend to sag. Even in a flat-heeled pair, compression of the toes forces the feet into a "fallen arch" posture, which produces a waddling or shuffling gait that likewise affects the position of the pelvis. Stiff soles reduce range of motion of the feet, which must reduce range of motion at every other joint throughout the body, leaving it susceptible to any additional stressful demand--no matter how minor it may seem; a pregnancy is just one type of stressful demand that could cause symptoms for a habitual shoe-wearer.

Chiropodist Dr. Simon J. Wikler pioneered efforts to understand the influences of shoes in the 1950's, but his work was neglected during the subsequent drug- and diet-based approaches to medicine. However, the prolific footwear historian and podiatrist Dr. William A. Rossi clearly demonstrated throughout his publications that shoes influence the posture of the human body. Therefore, using the posture-based approaches to medicine of the distinguished orthopedist Dr. Joel E. Goldthwait, I have expanded Dr. Wikler's insightful work to include a variety of illnesses and conditions whose causes remain unknown. You may find my thesis regarding shoes and disease on the Internet at:

http://www.shoebusters.com

Thank you very much for considering my novel approach.

James Semmel
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Previous year's thread: http://www.wholewoman.com/forum/node/108

Forum:

In the summer it is easier to go barefoot of course- but when you have to go somewhere what about wearing flip-flops. I have these $2/pair ones that I got from Walmart. I bought like 5 pairs because they are just like going barefoot but with something to protect the bottom of your foot, and you can still go in stores and restaurants and stuff. These shoes are just a thin piece of rubber, then a thin mat of bamboo looking wood. That's it. They aren't even 1/2 inch thick. Are they still messing with posture?

Then what- in the winter we are all just screwed? Sorry for my lack of good wording.

Tamara,

I agree that going barefoot may not always be practical, such as during the winter when the ground is too cold or during the summer when it's too hot; glass is another concern.

Unfortunately, there is no ideal shoe. All shoes influence gait and posture; even the weight of the shoe is sufficient to affect the way a person walks (try getting through daily life with weights tied to the wrists, and see how just the simplest of tasks become challenging or impossible).

During thousands of years, the closest that mankind has come to an ideal shoe is the original wide-toed, soft-soled moccasin, which merely protects the feet while allowing the toes some freedom of movement. Literally a "second skin", soft-soled moccasins consist of tanned leather that is wrapped loosely around each foot and held on with lacings, providing a protective, custom fit with a natural, breathable material.

james

Sybille and Jane will correct me if I’m wrong, James, but I believe this is your second “annual” visit to wholewoman. Like I told Jonathan regarding toilet-sitting, all of these aspects of civilized life have set us up for these conditions. Thanks for sharing once again, but as I told you last time, I’m not going to allow an endless harangue about shoes as sole (p.i.) causative factor of prolapse.

The good news is there’s treatment for disfigured feet and it has nothing to do with cold and hot baths, but rather gradual and increasingly strenuous work while on our barefeet and holding the body in its natural shape. My feet have “grown” an entire size since I’ve been doing this work and it is completely obvious to me how necessary it is that we support their wide, square, natural design. I believe we do have shoe companies that have been responding to the call for natural footwear for decades. Birkenstock does a fine job, as do several others.

Christine

Christine,

You raised an excellent point, that aspects of modern life have set us up for posture-related health problems that were practically unknown in previous generations. But of them all, the shoe stands out as the most significant physical influence on the posture and gait of the human body. The reason is that shoes act directly upon the foundation, crippling the very base of the body and leaving us susceptible to activities such as driving, sitting, standing, stooping, lifting, walking, and even sneezing among others.

Before deciding that non-deforming footwear is possible, I suggest you read some of Dr. Rossi's articles, all available on the Internet. Dr. Wikler put it best: "There are perfect feet, but there are no perfect shoes."

james

Nah, just wear Ug boots. ;-)

Cheers

Louise

but, since discovering Christine's work, have been going barefoot whenever possible. Used to hate going barefoot -- now love it.

Also have noticed more and more the negative effect of shoes -- most of them; even the good ones,, except birks. Also, I confirm Christine's statement about working the feet -- I find it more and more crucial to my own well-being.

So, Christine, or anyone else, other good shoe options? Danskos are good, but ok? James, what say you? We can't wear none, at least not us urbanites.

Marie

Here's the problem I have withour shoes! I cannot do without, because I have one leg longer than the other! If I go without for any length of time, I start having a hip ache! I can actually see in the mirror, the difference in my hips without shoes! Sometimes if I work too hard, I get the back ache back and I even walk around the house with just one shoes to bring the hip back into place! This has worked for me, instead of relying on the dr. or muscle relaxers! Hope this tip helps someone else!!!! Nancy
All the shoes I wear have a mouse pad (instead of the expensive orthodics) in my left shoe! I cut them to look like an insole!

Nancy,

Typically, the two feet of a person are not the same size or shape, nor do they spread equally upon standing or walking. (See Rossi, William A. "The High Incidence of Mismated Feet in the Population", 1983, Vol. 4, No. 2, Foot and Ankle.) However, in modern times, left and right shoes and socks are made to be identical. Cramming differently shaped feet into same-sized shoes thus leads to a lopsidedness or lateral asymmetry with numerous symptoms throughout the body.

I consider scoliosis and leg length discrepancies to be obvious examples of the problems arising from same-sized footwear, but even pelvic prolapse would be adversely affected.

james

Marie,

I agree that going barefoot isn't possible all of the time; besides protection from the occasional hazard, shoes are needed to just blend in with the mainstream.

The ideal shoe would fit the toes of each foot like a glove fits the fingers of each hand--providing protection but maximum range of motion in all joints. However, nobody has yet invented such a "glove" for the feet as they have for the hands. The next best shoe, as far as body mechanics is concerned, would cover the foot like a mitten covers the hand--leaving the big toe as free as the thumb in movement potential. Still, no "mitten" for the feet exists, which leads to the next choice of covering all of the toes at once, and this type of shoe construction--the wide-toed, soft-soled moccasin--has been around for thousands of years.

james

no wonder I've gone up half a size. my toes seem longer too. I'm always barefoot at home (or in socks if its chilly)

Going barefoot is actually a struggle for me. I got "flywashed" by flylady (flylady.net) about wearing shoes to stay efficent at home and so now I can't stand to have my shoes off unless it's bedtime. I have no choice about shoes during the school day of course, but I have worried about my the shape of the last three toes on each foot. They are actually pointy. They are not round & flat on the bottom like my little toddler's "boxy" feet. My mother is having terrible foot trouble now and it makes me wonder what role shoes have had as part of that. I'm going to have to go on the hunt for "square" shoes. Think I'll find them?
Jane

As any podiatrist knows, foot trouble affects women significantly more often than men, who typically wear flatter-heeled, wider-toed shoes. (Just imagine the hand trouble we would suffer from constricting them in a similar manner.) Note that several degenerative conditions also afflict women disproportionately more than men, including arthritis, asthma, depression, osteoporosis, and even Alzheimer's disease.

Interestingly, most of the time our feet don't even hurt, despite being subjected to an unparalleled amount of stress, particularly from crippling footwear.

james

I recently purchased a pair of thongs or flip flops called Cheeks by Tony Little. The footbed is by Birkenstalk. I find they help keep my feet in the proper alignment for the posture and are very comfortable. I wear them around the house and yard.
The thong is designed so it won't pull through the soles like some of the other thongs on the market.
Flora

Does anyone know about the shoe called "ALDO?" What a big toe box they have! Are they good for you?
Nancy