Prolapse & hysterectomy

Body: 

New to this site & desperately searching for answers. I'm 42 yrs old and have struggled with prolapse since 4 weeks after my oldest child was born 17 years ago. My prolapse worsened through the years until bladder, rectum, and uterus were all dropping. I began having severely heavy periods about 5 years ago. I became anemic and couldn't leave my home for at least 2 days every cycle. I bled profusely. Due to the extreme bleeding I finally had to have uterus removed. Doctor left ovaries to provide me with much needed estrogen. As I'm into my first week following surgery, I'm feeling pressure again. I'm trying to rest & stay in bed as I heal but I forget sometimes & lift a pan or storage container from the refrigerator and feel pressure again. Terrified at the thought of having to have mesh to stop this. Any suggestions, or help would be appreciated.

Hi Pammie and welcome. Yes, hysterectomy does put women at risk for new or worsening prolapse of the other organs, and in addition, prolapse of the vaginal vault - which is why most hysterectomies these days are accompanied by sutures to tether the top of the vagina to the spine. After hysterectomy, women need this Whole Woman work to help keep the remaining organs forward - but some special care is needed. Right now you need to concentrate on resting and healing - you have probably been told not to do any lifting, and you need to take this seriously.

Christine's next major work will be a program directed specifically towards post-hyst women. They can benefit greatly from this return to natural human posture. The challenges are greater without the uterus (the hub of the wheel, so to speak) but quite frankly, there is no other path at this point that will not put you at greater risk of further problems. Please take a took around the site - find out what this is about, and watch for news updates on the release of this very important work. As a registered member of the forum, you will hear about it as soon as we do. Take heart - Surviving