Back and Hip Issues

Body: 

Yesterday, I introduced myself on a forum that was displayed when I initially registered. I should have studied the navigational tabs before I listed my post. I wanted to say how excited I was to find the Whole Woman Forum a couple of days ago when I was searching on the internet for solutions to my back and hip issues. I recently experienced my left hip and leg giving away when I was out running errands. I was so shocked, that I immediately came home and started researching answers to my problem. I have had back problems for many years and have visited many chiropractors, massage therapists, etc. which were all helpful. However, I knew that I needed to be more proactive and I was grateful to run across a hip forum on the Whole Woman Forum which led me to Christine's website. I had my first hip lesson from the online hip DVD and I am waiting on the First Wheel Yoga DVD. The Whole Woman program has given me answers that I was not expecting and I am so thankful. She empowers women to look at their bodies from the proper perspective and I am hopeful for the first time. I look forward to learning from everyone on this forum and starting this new journey.

Hi Stewardess and welcome,
I was also plagued with hip issues prior to finding whole woman, so along with improving my prolapse I enjoyed the added side benefit of getting rid of most of that nagging hip pain. Christine definitely found the correct body alignment and the process to make all it so much better.
Best wishes and may you have continued improvement with this work.

Hello Aging Gracefully,
Thank you for your words of encouragement! I am having to take the exercises slowly, because my left hip is weak and it is difficult to work on that side. I obviously need to do this practice everyday and I need to be very aware of holding in my stomach. Her posture for the Whole Woman definitely challenges my old habits. Thank you, again, for welcoming me into the forum.

Hi Stewardess,
Aussie Soul Sister gives the best account of her experiences with the hips program. Hopefully she will come on to tell you about it. Fantastic stuff!!

I look forward to hearing from Aussie Soul Sister and to get her suggestions on what I can do to improve my hip and back issues.
I wanted to commend you on your work in a hospice community and your comments on aging and the end of life. I have volunteered in a hospice community and found it very revealing on how I looked at death and dying. Working with Elders gave me an opportunity to possibly see my future as I age and the choices I have in life's amazing process. Thanks, again!

Hi dear Stewardess and welcome,
Below are some links to what I have written about the Hips DVD and how I used it as a foundation to the WW work.
I use the posture as foundation, and then the hips DVD to augment that and enable me to do other activities.
I have also tried to see for how long I could get away without doing the HIPS DVD once I had done it for several months almost daily, and for the most part as long as I keep the posture I don't need to do it as often.
Having said that most of us are much more sedentary (I like to joke using the word sedimentary...) it is more important than ever to keep up an exercise program as we "mature." I feel it is also good for our soul and sense of being in this world - a kind of strong grounded presence...that is why I love Christine's foot exercises, which is part of her holistic unique approach.

My progress using Hips DVD as foundation. ( title of the link below)
https://wholewoman.com/forum/comment/49039#comment-49039

"I originally began WW with pop and quickly realized that my hip instability where I would lose all support and was starting to have very painful crunching concussion had ceased immediately I had started the posture.
When Christine's Hip program came out I started it very slowly and have resolved all knee and hip pain and discomfort to the point where I can sleep on both sides with a pillow between knees pain and discomfort free...I couldn't last more than a few seconds before that."

"There are many more benefits to Whole Woman Posture that I have posted about over the last 3 & 1/2 yrs.
I use the posture first 24/7, and the Hips program as a foundation for everything else, like other DVDs and progression to a little running, and Scottish Country Dancing which would have been impossible before now...."

https://wholewoman.com/forum/comment/53599#comment-53599 - The above should be part of this post.

https://wholewoman.com/forum/comment/53888#comment-53888

https://wholewoman.com/forum/comment/53607#comment-53607

Please note...I have written about my experiment with weights, that is ongoing and my own experiment. I had a setback so have to reassess the use of them constantly. I don't recommend any other use of them except what Christine uses/ recommends in her DVDs.

I had to learn the exercises and we are sometimes hard on ourselves with learning anything new, so know that I took it very slowly and listened to my body, and my body started to amaze me beyond anything I had ever imagined...

I hope this helps,
Aussie Soul Sister

Hello Ausie Soul Sister!
Thank you for reaching out to me and giving me access to your wonderful posts that you have written over time. Actually, I went to the website and bought the online hip DVD and book because of your post that came up when I googled hip problems. I have done the hip exercises the past 4 days and the First Wheel Yoga today. I am seeing improvement, but I had a hard time doing the straight leg lift on the side with me bad hip. I could not even lift it without pain. I am getting better and I want to thank you for sharing your experience. Did you purchase a box for the standing exercises? I am using a yoga block to stand on for the exercises and a chair for balance.
The posture is something that is hard to remember, but I have been standing and sitting a certain way for 62 years and it will take time to adjust to new behavior.
Does Christine suggest a certain mattress for better support while sleeping?
I look forward to improving daily with my new exercise routine and I appreciate all of the support from you and everyone on the forum.
Take care,
Stewardess

Hi Stewardess,
Thankyou for your kind words. It is humbling and heartening to know that my experience can help others.

I use an inexpensive hard plastic aerobic stepper which is long and wide and very sturdy.
It has 2 heights and I use the highest height of 15cm.
I use a high backed heavy wooden chair for support for the box exercises.

I started the standing foot arch exercises using the chair for support, and surprised myself when eventually I could do them without holding on and then using the baton above my head in full human extension.

I have seen and stood on yoga blocks when at my Mum's exercise class but if yours is anything like them and soft, I think that may compromise balance and the way the foot sits, (A lot of yoga is done with body weight concentrated on the heel ).
The foot needs our body weight distributed evenly between the base of the big and little toe and the middle of the heel.
The posture is something that I am conscious of all the time.
Like you, I lived a long time before readjusting, however it is like driving, a constant adjustment and tweaking of the steering wheel to keep the car going in the right direction, while the basics are automatic.

There are two straight side leg lifts, one done while standing on the box, and the other done lying on the side on the mat. Which one do you mean?

If you are experiencing pain I would suggest not doing that exercise until you can have a phone consultation with Christine as she is also an RN and is best qualified to address this.

Also I did not attempt to do any other DVDs until I had mastered the Hips one and I felt my body was ready. It is better to take things slowly and consistently than risk setbacks.

I have never chosen the mattresses I sleep on but adjusted to the one I have and quite like it.
I tend now to sleep on a soft and thin enough pillow that just takes the pressure off the weight of the head on the mattress and keeps my neck warm in winter, so that I sleep flatter. I am usually more of a back sleeper anyway, so it is a matter of preference. I do put a pillow between my knees when sleeping on my side, but can now do it pain free, thanks to the hip program.

Best wishes,
Aussie Soul Sister

I love what you wrote about posture. Such a perfect parallel.

"The posture is something that I am conscious of all the time.......I lived a long time before readjusting, however it is like driving, a constant adjustment and tweaking of the steering wheel to keep the car going in the right direction, while the basics are automatic."

Thankyou Surviving for your very kind words! XO

I also wanted to add for Stewardess that Christine has great ballet bars and an exercise box, and walking poles for ladies with hip pain, available in her store. She also does personal one on one programs for hip issues....I live so far away that I found an alternative to the box.

I do have her bundle for beginners, the Hips book and DVD and baton, and all the other DVDs.
If I could have hugged Christine upon reading her book "Saving the Whole Woman " I would have - instead I hugged her book - I've never done that to any book, before or since - she gave me the tools to heal myself the way I had wanted but didn't know how... eternally grateful...

The secret to doing the exercises successfully is being strong, steady, grounded and yet relaxed in WWP while doing them particularly on the box, and they are indeed all Christine's exercises are done with controlled movement, unlike a lot of styles.
Make sure that if you are using a chair it is at least able to accommodate your whole hand at the top - I had to find something else as I could only touch the top of the back of the chair I had with my fingertips, which undermined posture stability. I now have a much higher backed chair with a decent vertical flat upper back top on it for want of a better description!
Once your body becomes used to the posture, you will find that it is held with the minimum of energy, and it is infinitely more relaxing than the tension in our whole bodies that we had before WW.
This has made me more conscious of how much tension we can build up or brace ourselves with when going about our daily living, and change that habit....
I have read and gained insights from many spiritual approaches to life and state of being.
I can't find the exact quote at the moment, however it is about doing things much more effectively when in a state of relaxation, body and mind.That stands out for me at this time!

Best wishes,
Aussie Soul Sister

Thank you so much, Aussie Soul Sister for answering some questions that I was going to ask you. I will definitely call Christine for a consultation and possibly purchase the exercise box. Do you use the walking stick? I am seeing improvement if I continue my exercises and stay in posture. I think most of my problem has been sitting in chairs and on my sofa that collapses the back. Posture is everything and our household comforts do not support proper posture. I have found one chair that helps me honor the WW posture and is comfortable to sit in long term. Driving a car seems to challenge our posture, also, but I sure there are things that I can do to improve that situation to keep a proper posture.
One thing I have to remember is relax the abdomen when doing the exercises. I tend to pull my stomach in when I am doing some of the exercises. Tensing up is an old habit for me when I am learning a new exercise and I have been taught to hold my core in, to balance myself, when I am in certain exercise postures.
I will keep up with this wonderful program and I am eternally grateful for everyone connected to this forum!
Thank you, again, Aussie Soul Sister!

Dear Stewardess,
I don't drive very much, however it is astonishing how we are expected to drive in a reclining position!
If you have a car seat that can be tilted down at the front so that your knees are not higher than your hips that would be helpful, however my car just puts the whole thing higher!
I have yet to work out whether there is a way to put the seat part down more so that if I put a decent lumbar support in, and something to fill in the slope on the seat, my head doesn't brush the roof of the car!

Christine has posts where she writes about the effect posture in the car and driving with the right foot flexed over the pedals, means that many hip problems develop in the right hip. she has great blog posts also.

If you search Louiseds posts ( she has posts going way back)she is has some great ideas for her car, and other things WW.
If I had chronic stiffness/pain and needed support while walking, I would use the pole as it is designed for this. If I was into climbing hills I would use it also.
I don't have chronic hip pain/crunching anymore. The couple of episodes of that plus the feeling that I had worsening prolapse, drove me to do WW and immediately the crunching pain stopped with the posture, and when Christine brought out the hips program I used that.I also thought I would never be able to sit cross - legged for any longer than a few seconds and now with gradual sitting when I can, I now can sit longer in that position.

Glad to be of help,
All the best,
Aussie Soul Sister

This site is really very helpful.And also best wishes for your improvements.

Hi Ladies,

Can anyone help me with this combination of problems? I failed to mention the sciatica and sub in earlier posts. It's veru hard to completely heal when i have NO money. Hubby works....yes...but doesn't make nearly enough for me to get treatment for all of these problems. I'd been seeing a chiro when i had obamacare. Helped us pay less. Now, im back on his med benefit through job and i have to pick and choose which issue we can afford to treat. Chiro was waste of time and money because a 20 min visit in the bathroom...would cancel out an adjustment. I know in order for me to be and feel better ALL of me needs to be tended to but that's not possibele.

Does anybody have any advice? Thanks