endometrial hyperplasia

Body: 

I hope I picked the right forum for this—it’s said that endometrial hyperplasia is an estrogen issue.

I am 53, Caucasian, 5’7”, 180lbs, fit and strong. At 32, I had a vaginal birth, at 34 a miscarriage at 12 weeks, and at 36 another vaginal birth, although the second birth's twin was lost at 12 weeks (spotting and cramping, a second placenta taken over by the baby's placenta). For the first birth and the miscarriage, there was a lot of bleeding; for the second birth, I used homeopathic arnica and a midwife birth and didn’t over-bleed. Since not too long after the second birth, I’ve suffered wicked PMS, sometimes from ovulation to the start of the next cycle. Primary PMS symptoms have been constipation and Broken Brain (relentless irritability). Nothing has helped the PMS. The winter before last, I had two high-bleed cycles, but then less-bloody cycles would come at irregular intervals, sometimes skipping a couple of months. Two cycles ago, the moderate-to-light bleeding lasted five or six weeks. The most recent cycle started about four weeks ago and after moderate bleeding for a week or so, there was over-the-top bleeding for well over a week. There were times when I could blow through the heaviest-duty tampon in less than five minutes. Homeopathic Pulsatilla would remove the energy block so I could keep my eyes open, but it didn’t slow the bleeding enough. Towards the end, I discovered that ibuprofen helped slow the bleeding. I lost a huge amount of blood and did become anemic, according to blood tests done 2 ½ weeks ago. Nothing else stood out on the complete blood panel, so no thyroid issues or anything else deemed out of line. I finally stopped bleeding about a week and a half ago, although I’ve had rip-roaring PMS symptoms for the past week and am starting to spot again already. An ultrasound done two weeks ago, my first lower abdomen ultrasound ever, showed a modestly enlarged uterus without specific fibroids or tumors and some simple ovarian cysts “that aren’t concerning.” The diagnosis at this point is a thickening of the endometrium (endometrial hyperplasia) and the “standard of care” is a D & C and then a hysteroscopy to see if there’s anything of concern under the removed tissue, as well as evaluation of the removed tissue for malignancy. The procedure is scheduled for Tuesday, five days from now. The HERS Foundation site recommends ultrasounds at the end of two consecutive cycles, then if thickening is confirmed both times, they recommend the same course of action my doctor has recommended.

A D&C, I’m told, is a “simple procedure” (never mind that the out-of-pockets cost, 15% of the overall cost, is $1000), but I am worried about hemorrhaging during the operation and waking up with an ablated uterus, or worse, no uterus. My mother had heavy bleeding three decades ago and, of course, lost her uterus to the surgeon. Any thoughts, advice? Thank you in advance!

Hi upnorth,
I am not going to downplay the diagnosis of endometrial hyperplasia because I really don't know anything about it, but what you describe throughout your post mimics my own experiences with perimenopause up to this point. Heavy bleeding, light bleeding for longer times, periods coming whenever they feel like it, more irritability and anxiety, etc.
After reading much about perimenopause and menopause on the forum here and other sites, I have chalked it up to normal for this time in my life, although frustrating at times, I don't feel, at least for myself, that I am in any emergency situation. I remember Christine even talking about massive bleeding right before she hit menopause.
You may want a consult with her before undergoing any procedures, because I think she could really shed some light on this situation for you.
I have personally been really working on my diet and meditative practices for a number of years now that have really been helping with these issues.
Hope you can find the right answers and what will help you the most.

Hi Aging Gracefully, thank you for your input. The first time I had really heavy bleeding, the winter before last, I also chalked it up to a permutation of "normal" for menopause. I got through it and life went on. This is the second time, though, and wow, the blood loss is really scary. Maybe with the ibuprofen technique for slowing it, I can handle another episode, but losing another batch of blood, especially if it's starting again so soon, worries me.

We don't want you to wake up without a uterus either. Christine writes in her book about the extreme bleed she had at menopause. If you don't have time to get the book and read it, please consult with her. If you have read Nora Coffey's book (founder of HERS) you will know this is exactly how some women end up sacrificing their uterus on the operating table without their consent. Beware! - Survivng

Hello Surviving60

I have tried to find the passage in Christine's book about her menopause, but I can't find it. Can you point me in the right direction? You are talking about Saving the Whole Woman book, right?

I didn't realize the founder of HERS has a book, I'll have to go look for it today. From reading the HERS site, I get the impression that they suggest that a D&C is in line for my symptoms and diagnosis.

I have gone from spotting to definite bleeding. The flow picked up quickly once it got started; I'll see how strong the flow is as the day goes on.

Hi upnorth,
Here is one good thread I found:

https://www.wholewoman.com/forum/node/4431

I just typed in bleeding and menopause, and found a bunch of intersting threads.

I was mistaken about the book, it is not discussed in the second edition (blue cover). If it wasn't in the first edition (orange cover), then I am simply mixing it up with other forum or blog posts in which Christine has discussed it extensively. AG gave you a good link to start you off.

One thing I came away with, after reading Nora Coffey's book, is that any time you are going under for any kind of exploratory procedure, you can put yourself at risk. The doctor is free to do whatever he or she deems in your best interest, regardless of what your previously-stated wishes may be. It may be rare, but it does happen and has happened......waking up without your uterus. It's what happened to Nora Coffey herself. - Surviving

Thank you for the link, Aging Gracefully. Okay re: the menopause passage, Surviving60--I'm glad it wasn't my imagination that I couldn't find it. I don't have the energy to track down Coffey's book and would probably fall asleep reading it anyway. Rough night last night, the most I could get out of a tampon/pad combo was 1 1/2 hours and I had to take a shower in the middle of the night. Ibuprofen is having no effect; I'm guessing it seemed to work last cycle because I started to use it towards the end when things were slowing down anyway.

Through my "patient portal," I asked my doctor what the options were if I were to bleed during the D&C procedure and she answered as if I'd asked what if I were to bleed after the operation. I asked my original question again, but haven't gotten a response yet. Regardless, I can't imagine going into the procedure with no blood reserves and it sure feels like I'm pretty darn low on blood reserves.

Hi upnorth,
I don't think any of us on the forum are really in the position to tell you what to do at this point, but I do think a consult with Christine will at least put you into a better informed position on how you should proceed.

I suggested Nora Coffey's book to you because you specifically mentioned consulting the HERS site for your current situation. Even if you don't feel her book is worth checking out (I couldn't disagree more), you might get some benefit from Christine's interview with her:

https://wholewoman.com/newpages/video/coffey.html

Surviving60, I am looking forward to checking out Coffey's book. Thank you for the link of the interview, I will check that out, too. Update is the bleeding has slowed down appreciably and is quite manageable again. I'm so relieved, because last time it went on for over a week and I didn't think I could withstand that a second time. Hope it holds at reasonable levels. I'm pretty convinced I won't do the D&C on Tuesday. I need more time for research and for building up my blood reserves again.