Pessary cream substitute

Body: 

I had a hysterectomy over 20 years ago and have been dealing with a bladder prolapse for about 8 years. A few years ago I was fitted for a pessary and given estrogen cream to use as a lubricant for inserting it. I had MAJOR problems with the estrogen cream and stopped after only a couple months.
In the past year, my bulge has gotten worse and three months ago I visited a different doctor. There was serious talk about surgery, but she suggested trying the pessary first. This time, however, my lubricant is simple coconut oil -- yes, the same organic coconut oil I purchase at the grocery store to use in my kitchen. What a fabulous solution! I take the pessary out every evening, clean it, and leave it out overnight. I insert it myself every morning with a little coconut oil around the edge. Just went back for a 3-month checkup and everything is doing so well she said don't bother coming back unless I have any problems. This is, indeed, a long-term solution for me.
However, since the bladder is now in a better position, I now have more problems with stress incontinence than I had before. Not sure how to take care of this problem.

Hi Gramma JoJo and welcome to Whole Woman. I wish all pessary users would follow your example! You're doing everything right and I'm glad it's working out. Surgery to "repair" the cystocele is something to be avoided at all costs.

I would recommend looking into Whole Woman posture as a way to deal with the incontinence. Post-hyst, your pelvic dynamics are of course permanently altered and the placement of the remaining organs will never go back to its original potential, when you still had the "hub of the wheel". The goal is to move the organs forward, into the hollow of the relaxed lower belly, and get them out of the vaginal space where they are causing discomfort and urinary symptoms. It is a gradual process for anyone, and certainly 20 years post-hyst it would not be a quick solution. The pessary may be holding the bladder in a more comfortable place, but as you have found, it isn't necessarily the best place. We do have some basic products in the store that can get you started. Take a look and come back with questions. Thanks for posting! - Surviving

Tanglefoot - if you haven't tried it yet, you should. Many have had success with it, and there shouldn't be any concerns over long-term use. - Surviving

I would agree with Tanglefoot about the Replens, and I think if you put that in the search box, you'll find some other discussions about it. - Surviving

I think I would avoid putting petroleum products into the vagina.....though I know it's often done. But these days, thankfully, there is more awareness of all kinds of toxins that we used to think were perfectly normal to use on or in our bodies. - Surviving

Actually, I've known those products recently. I do expect that Vaseline is helping to me.