Empowerment

Body: 

I suffer from pretty bad anxiety which after a bout of bad anxiety (month of worry) I get pretty bad depression. I think it may also have a lot to do with my cycle and hormone changes, regardless, it is difficult to deal with.

Since I discovered prolapse I have been pretty anxious, I don't want to leave my bed a lot of the time but I also suffer from back and leg pain (broke my leg 4 years ago) I am speaking to my Dr about this pain and ways to help fix it but ultimately it leaves me very unmotivated to do anything physical. I am also confused about what I can and can't do physically with a prolapse? I understand the posture, I am yet to try the exercises (WW yoga dvds) but is there a particular way to lie down? What physical activity is ok? Walking?

Any tips on how I take all this information in and use it to empower myself rather than make myself sick? Do many of you women lead normal lives with prolapse? I have been reading the forum, I haven't been lazy with this but if anyone has some wisdom to share here I would appreciate it.

I also find myself looking at other women now and wondering if they have a prolapse, kind of makes me feel comforted to see happy women who may have a prolapse (weird I know) especially with how prevalent it is.

Thanks for reading.

Empowerment is a great word for what this knowledge can give you. Most of us, when we discovered prolapse, had never heard of it, and felt very alone. This can be aggravated by hormonal swings of post partum or menopause, as well as any type of anxiety or depression that may also be present. When you look around you, realize that you are looking at many many women who have prolapse and don't discuss it. They may have chosen a surgical path, and they may be regretting that. The truth is that most women do end up with some degree of prolapse eventually. The WW work aims to change that, but it goes against mainstream medical protocols and this is difficult for some to accept and trust.

Once you have internalized the posture principles, you will be able to gauge which activities are safe and which are risky. If you can maintain posture while doing it, then do it. How we lie isn't important because it is when we are upright, using gravity to assist, that the organs are really finding their true locations again. Mindful posture walking was, for me, the absolute key to learning this posture and seeing the benefits. Firebreathing is an excellent tool everyone needs to master. It didn't come naturally to me, and this is because many of us reversed our breathing and became chest breathers instead of belly breathers, during all those years of holding our tummies in.

I have been managing cystocele and rectocele quite happily for going on 7 years. It is no longer any kind of issue in my daily life. Losing the fear was the first benefit for me. Then, into the second year of the work, things really started to click and I realized I was feeling happier in my body than I felt in all those bad posture years. I started looking around and noticed an occasional woman who displayed this natural posture, and I wanted to run up and ask her, how did you manage to avoid the pulled-in belly message we all heard growing up?

This can be an emotional discovery but a most empowering one, when you learn what it's really all about. I wish that every woman could hear this message and look into her heart and find the patience and courage and faith to give it a go. - Surviving

Thanks for the reply!

Gives me hope that you have been able to manage your prolapse for 7 years using WW approach. You are right that it is hard to trust in the 'alternative' but I find it easier to trust women on womens issues, after all we know best about our bodies. Well we should anyway :-)

I have been having bladder issues lately, I tried to get on my hands and knees a couple of days ago to wee in the shower but because of my bad knees it hurt too much and I gave up. Anyway I grabbed some hand towels and used them in the shower for my knees last night so I could void properly and the pain in my urethra has subsided! I feel a lot more hopeful about WW today after that. Something so simple. I will continue to use this method if it means less pain down there! I just need to now work on strengthening and loosening my muscles so WW posture becomes easier with each day.

I too look for the posture and I am always checking my own in reflections.

Regardless of how we feel going into this work, if we make that leap of faith and give it our all, the truth of it becomes self-evident in a relatively short time. This pushes us onward and we no longer care if we are going against the grain of typical medical advice. Christine explains the anatomy and she explains why conventional treatments are wrong. But we have to see it for ourselves, and that is exactly what happens. Glad things are going well for you. - Surviving