Any known damaging exercise to the WW posture?

Body: 

Hello, I was wondering if there is any known exercise lets say a yoga posture or bycicling or anything else that is contradicting the posture and should be avoided at least until the improvement is being achieved? Thank you

Forum:

Hi Elani,

The most counterproductive thing you can do to the structural support systems of your body is to lounge around a lot in soft furniture. We all like to do this a little bit, but the more we hang out, the worse our symptoms will be. I love to watch YouTube videos in bed at night, but I sit up crosslegged in WW posture and knit at the same time. Btw, I sleep much better when I go to bed early and don't read or watch anything, but it's hard to be that disciplined all the time - especially when so much craziness is going on the the world!

Try to think of your torso making a right angle with your legs as being supportive. For instance, when you are bent at the hips into a tabletop position, your pelvic organs are dropped into the hollow of your lower belly. This is true in downward dog, on hands and knees, and also sitting with legs out in front (or crosslegged), if we maintain lumbar curvature. No matter how we rotate this angle in space, it is still supportive. Actually, when we stand in WW posture the abdominal wall forms a right angle with the pelvis and all the same dynamics apply.

If we make the angle more acute, or smaller by bending over more, the organs are still protected from the forces of intraabdominal pressure. However, if we make the angle larger, or more obtuse, internal pressures are now pushing the uterus, bladder, and sigmoid colon backward toward the pelvic outlet. The boat pose of yoga or the basic mat program of pilates, where you are lying on your back with head and feet raised off the floor, is very stressful for the female pelvic organ support system. Similarly, no matter how we rotate the obtuse angle in space, it is still stressful. Bending slightly over to vacuum, or driving in a car with lumbar curve flattened gives that same obtuse angle.

My bike allows me to sit straight up in WW posture. Of course I bend over when I'm riding hard uphill (more acute angle), but then it's so nice to pull up into the posture again. We move through obtuse angles all day long, but I'm talking about staying in them for long periods. I occasionally see people (usually men) riding recumbent bikes and feel so sorry for their backs and hips! Quadrupeds don't spend a lot of time on their backs, and we are wired in a very similar way.

I tell women - do whatever you want, just do it in WW posture! You can stand up and keep the vacuum at your side, you can lift weights standing in WW posture, etc. etc.

Hope this helps.

:-) Christine

Beautiful answer. This is what I try to do - whatever i do, do it in the WW posture. Even when going to sleep i raise my chest and feel the difference.

So, when bending over to pick something off the floor....is it best to hinge at the hips with a straight back and legs? Or, lumbar curve and squat?

Squatting for me is a very difficult way to lift anything. It's too hard to maintain posture and my balance isn't that great (yes, something I should work on). When I hinge at the hips I can actually feel my organs moving into a good position (for me, this is one of the best demonstrations of the posture principles). I keep my knees soft while doing this, not necessarily straight legs. - Surviving