Wanting to normalize my BMs

Body: 

Hi all,
Haven't posted in awhile as nothing has really changed since my last postings. However, I think I need to make some changes to get my BMs more normalized. Here's the situation: I have prolapse of probably everything that's left in my pelvic area since having a hysterectomy over 20 years ago. I am 57, still have 1 ovary, but I'm well into the peri-menopause scene. I was never constipated until I hit peri-menopause and then discovered my prolapsing organs (primarily rectocele). My organs are naturally low anyway as I was born probably already with some prolapsing (tilted uterus, short vagina, etc.). The surgery tho brought everything to reality!

Anyway, for me to be able to eliminate my poop without having to strain or deal with significant hemorrhoids, pain and itching at my anus, I have had to take extra Magnesium to relax my bowels to the point where my poop is filled with water (I call it "poop soup.") My Dr. is not concerned over this as the extra Magnesium will cause excess water to build up in my colon and mix in with the waste. I go to the bathroom to release this poop soup multiple times in a given day, everyday.

While I am grateful to get the poop and excess water out, I am worried what would be if I, for some reason, couldn't get my Magnesium. I could be blocked up, distended, with my rectocele bulging out like a softball...and miserable. Missing one day's does of the Magn. creates a LOT of abdominal discomfort and constipation.

So my question is, if I try to wean myself off of the Magnesium, what do I do to avoid the bowel train wreck that is sure to result? I eat very healthy with plenty of soluble and insoluble fiber. I also walk 2 miles every morning and do some other light exercising a few times a week.

I am thinking maybe as I reduce the Magnesium, I should add a stool softener, perhaps even a light laxative, Miralax, or Senna tea or something, just during the transition. I just don't know. Or should I just carry on with the Magnesium and all the poop soup??

I just can't imagine, as I get older, if I should be hospitalized, or need to travel somewhere, etc. and not be able to either continue the Magn. as my body is used to, or not be able to frequent the bathroom as often as I have been needing too.

I would appreciate your thoughts and caring recommendations. Thank you.

Cecilly

Hi Cecily, how much water do you drink? Having enough water with all the fiber you are eating is really important to keep things moving. I am 55 and living in the tropics so water is one of the most important things for me to keep moving.

Cecily, can you be a bit more specific about your diet? It's possible to overdo both the water and the fiber, creating a vicious cycle that plays havoc with the intestinal tract. What else do you eat? If you can give us more dietary information, we might have suggestions. - Surviving

While I don't measure my water ounces taken in in a day, I do take in plenty of water along with 1 cup of coffee at breakfast, and 1 tall glass of light cranberry juice mixed with a cherry/lemon aid flavored carbonated water (to drink during my teaching of piano students in the afternoons).

Along with fresh fruits and veggies, a salad most days too, I include controlled amounts of steel cut oats, Ezekiel toast, multigrain bread, and brown and wild rice during the week. I don't each much white breads/grains. I do eat meat, but lean, mostly game and poultry, and some dairy. I'm nervous to take in more water because of all that seems to be coming out of me. I pee often during the day (and once in the night or very early morning), and sometimes I wonder where all of the fluid coming out of me is coming from.

My biggest diet issue is that I eat too much chocolate in a day (I dip into a bag of Dove dark chocolates regularly throughout a given day)!

Since yesterday, I have reduced by a 1/3 the amount of Magnesium I had been taking and things are going pretty well. My stools are still soft, but not soupy. However, when I get the feeling to "go" I need to give it a little push...not a strain, but just a little push. I've also changed my diet a bit, drinking a better balance of water and gentler fiber, and have cut out the sweets.

I don't feel like the bottom is going to fall out of me!! Right before I need to pee or poo, I feel a heaviness. Right after a poo, there is some bulge, but I manually push it back in and it seems to be more able to stay. I'm thrilled. My weight hasn't gone up from holding more stool inside, so that's good. It will be interesting to see how these magnesium adjustments affect things for the longer haul.