HELP!! Pelvic Floor Disorder/Bowel Disorder (Intussusception)

Body: 

HELP!!!

I'm very interested in your story. I live in the states (MO) and have had a HELL of a time trying to find a Doctor who will treat my Mild Rectal Intussusception. I'm 40 years old and I'd have medical problems since I was 9 year. I have several female dysfunctional disorders like PCOS, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibriods, Rectocele, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. I have sciatica, bad back, spinal problems (subluxation) where the spine is misaligned near the waist/buttucks. I've had 2 colonoscopies (2008/2011) and they've both come out normal. I have small internal hemorrhoids...I had an in-office procedure to shrink them in 2011. I've had all kinds of surgeries/procedures to fix these problems and none really have helped my chronic constipation! I've had severe constipation for about 20 years. I've seen several GI doctors to treat it and was diagnosed with IBS during one of those times. I finally upgraded to a Colorectal Surgeon who diagnosed the Rectocele and Intuss by having that darn defecography. He repaired the rectocele in 2014 (i believe) but it came back in 2015. Sadly, I couldn't fix any problems at the time because I was pregnant.

Before I go on,...I must say that I'm unemployed...involuntary. I think it's also important to say that I'm a black woman...living in Missouri. I didn't decide to be a housewife...a set of unwanted and traumatic circumstances made the choice for me. Anyway...last year was a HORRIBLE year for me in a lot of ways yet HAPPY because of baby. I had a c-section/hysterectomy last Jan. I had my 2nd Rectocele repair a month or so after that.

I tried to save my husband from spending too much on health insurance so I had him drop me from his med. benefits and I got on Cigna. WORST MISTAKE!! I was on Cigna for like 4 or 5 months and the whole time I was a member...SUCKED! Their directory on who was in Network was often wrong...sending me to the wrong doctors who couldn't treat me. I drove 100 miles to see a doctor that CIGNA said was in network only to find out she wasn't. I caused a scene...a rep there called Cigna and told them the situation. After all that was said and done, Cigna wouldn't let me see the doctor. So I drove home empty handed. I filed a complaint against Cigna only to waste my time!

Throughout my membership with Cigna, i attempted to see several ColoRectal Surgeons who refused to see me! One doctor that I was "blessed" enough to see...was very rude. He told me that surgery for intussusception is "expensive, invasive and no one wants to touch it." As u can imagine, I filed a complaint against him as well. I was able to waive doctor fees. Most doctors didn't even explain why they wouldn't see me. I didn't immediately ask for surgery. I asked how they usually treated adults with this and they said surgery. I asked if they could help treat the problem and they refused. One doc was quoted as saying "oh she has a problem...i can't help!" I tried to fight the system by contacting several Local Reps and that proved to be a WASTE!

I finally got to see my main colorectal surgeon and he had me go a 2nd round with the defecography. That proved that I still had the Intuss. H recommended the Rectopexy surgery but I had no money...so it had to be put off.

I was able to see said doctor again this year...still have no money but the problem has gotten worse. At the time, I was experiencing right side pain. I didn't realize what was causing it till after my visit with him....I'll get to that later. I'd waited over a YEAR to see this guy only for him to say NO to surgery. He said the side pain was a concern and he didn't feel comfortable cutting on me...said it would probably make things worse. He said if it were just the "Intuss" he'd go ahead with surgery. Well, he LIED because when I called the office the next day...I got a surprise. He told one of the ladies there to tell me NOT to call again with the same symptoms... I'd asked if he'd consider surgery if the side pain wasn't an issue...she said NO.

The right side pain was due to too much caffeine intake...i no longer suffer from this.

My LAST hope was another Colorectal Surgeon. He did respect me and l greatly appreciated that. He put me on this fiber therapy regimen where I took Miralax/Metamucil together...2x a day. It did help some but more treatment is needed. He performed a Protogram on me and discovered the "intuss." He ordered another round of the dreaded defecography... The final conclusion was that the results for surgery isn't great so he didn't recommend it. I went through all of that humilation for nothing.

So my question is, How did you get a doctor to take you seriously and try surgery??

Hi PelProlapse_Free,
Sounds like you have a lot going on there. We are not a pro surgery site, so we are probably not the best source for that kind of advice, but Christine does talk about your condition and the type of surgery you are talking about in this thread:

https://www.wholewoman.com/forum/node/7139

You can also type key words in the search to find other threads on the subject. You could also book a consult with Christine, as she knows much more about these issues than we do.
Best wishes to you.

I will mos def take a look. I've had way too many surgeries/procedures for 2 people's life times. I'm not in a hurry for another. I just wish there were other alternatives that would directly fix the issue..like surgery would supposed do. Now, we have to bypass it and take extra steps that prolongs the agony...till you find what works for you. I'm trying to keep the faith that it will get better. Posting here was the 1st step. i thank you.

Am I allowed to post the title of a book that may help with issues alongside a prolapse ?

Hi PP_F - I would agree you have had way too many surgeries already, for us to give you any advice here on the Forum. Reading Christine's post about rectopexy would certainly scare me off if I were considering it. Since your main question is how to get a doctor to perform surgery, then as Aging Gracefully says, you have really come to the wrong venue for that whole subject! Whole Woman has worked tirelessly for upwards of 15 years to keep women off the operating table. Generally speaking, the only thing worse than surgery, is more surgery; and reading through your post I can kind of see why the doctors are hesitant to jump in. You haven't mentioned anything about your diet, and I'm pretty sure the whole Miralax/Metamucil thing is probably not helping in the long term. Hoping you find some relief. - Surviving

Sure, go for it. - Surviving

I am reading a very helpful book at the mkment. It is. Allen How to heal yourself when no one else can by Amy B Scher. I'm finding it very helpful for my many health challenges and I'm hopeful it will help me to regain my overall health. Posture is greatly helping my prolapse and I feel I can tackle my other issues .

First off, I'm NOT wanting surgery. I want to be better and NOT have to go through the motions of using "bandaids" for everything. I want to be able to have regular bm's without having to give myself enemas just about everytime I need to poop....due to anterior/posterior rectocele and mild rectal intuss. For most of my life, I've either had my hope crushed when a particular surgery/procedure didn't relieve any/or not of the pain/discomfort that I was/is suffering from.

Like my post said, I have a multitude of problems. Past surgeries/procedures were for various reasons...from female dysfuntion (endometriosis, rectocele...) to bowel problems (shrinking internal hemorrhiods). I was diagnosed with retocele/intuss about 2013. I've suffered from chronic constipation for 20 years. I've never had a procedure/surgery to fix the intuss in anyway. I've been told that the only way to fix it-DIRECTLY is surgery. I dont want the surgery....i just want the problem fixed directly....instead of kegel-which Christine says don't work. I don't want my body being dependent on laxatives or fiber therapy.

I've been sick literally 90% of my life and I dont want to spend the next 40 like this.

I have made changes to my diet over the years. Its very apparent that I have food allergies, which makes all of this worse. I've tried cutting back on diary...caffeine,gluten...soy. Soda is a huge one that ive cut out. My prev chiropractor had me on almond milk...i've kinda reverted with cow's milk....when it comes to cereal but i dont use it much. I know i need to cut it out completely...hard to stay on track sometimes.

I've cut out pizza... I looked into the paleo diet not to long ago. I've been eating green beans/potatoes....salad and baked chicken all week. I mentioned in another post, I spoke of a plant-fruit based protein shake. It's Organic Protein PurelyInspired.

It's very hard to nail down and stick to a diet...when you have so many allergies...and u dont always have the money to eat the right things.

i would like to know how is this book helped your prolapse