Urethral Prolapse

Body: 

Hi all,

I'm new here. I just had our first baby 7 weeks ago at the age of 25. Unfortunately along with a little bundle of wailing joy :P I also have a urethral prolapse. The doctor said he HOPES it goes back on it's own but no one is really telling me anything. Reading through this site, it lists the prolapses that are addressed. I didn't see anything about urethral prolapse though and there seems to be little on the Internet about it... as it seems to be pretty rare. Will going through the exercises with whole woman still help this? I assume so since it's all pelvic floor muscles? Does anyone else have experience with this type of prolapse? And if so, did you have pregnancies after that? I'm really nervous about what this means for later pregnancies as I'm still so young.

Thanks guys!

Hi FordMama and welcome. This is extremely common, and if you use the search you'll find an infinite number of discussions of urethra. 7 weeks is very early in a healing period that could take up to two years. Whole Woman posture and bodywork are the ways we address all forms of prolapse. It is not primarily an exercise program; the exercises support the posture and must be done in posture to be effective. And no, it is not "pelvic floor muscles" but rather, we are returning to our original and natural spinal shape where the organs are held forward and kept in place by gravity and proper breathing. And this really has no bearing on future pregnancies; we've had many moms who were no worse off, and in many cases better, after subsequent pregnancies once they learned what to do. So, I would start by watching this:

https://wholewoman.com/newpages/video/ww101.html

You will be ditching any form of kegel exercise (trust me.....they only aggravate...Christine has written numerous articles on the subject). You will learn to STOP pulling in your abs and performing any type of exercises such as crunches that strain the pelvic organ support system.

At your stage, you are likely to find that things just get better on their own after awhile. That's what happened to me. I had issues after birth, which seemed pretty normal to me at the time (this was before the internet, and I didn't obsess, but certainly wasn't surprised to see things changing). I went back to a life of kegeling and horrendous posture, and prolapse eventually returned. I would have loved to have had this knowledge at your age! Good luck and feel free to ask your questions here. -- Surviving

Thank you for the information Surviving! I will start looking over all of the information :)