Question about posture

Body: 

I am trying to improve my WW posture and just figured out yesterday that I need to raise my chest up even more. It feels a little exaggerated but from what I have watched of the videos that is what is necessary. I know it helps because I have experienced hours of being symptom free but it is so much work to keep it all day while working! It sounds like it gets easier over the months and years so I will keep trying. Something I have noticed is that I have no back pain upon waking in the morning!! It is so lovely to not have to keep switching positions all night because my back feels uncomfortable. I have slept so much better since trying to stay in the WW posture.

Okay, my question. During the day moving about for work I have to keep reminding myself about the posture which I know is normal. I notice As I get tired and forget that I actually clench the muscles of my vagina into a kegel. I think I have been doing that for years and didnt even notice it. So I correct the posture and breath into my belly and relax my vagina. It actually feels a little scary, like something is going to fall Out at first. Then it feels better.

Does anyone have this experience? I wonder if my constant unconscious kegels have helped to create the my pop? or if it was just a way of dealing with the symptoms even though it did more harm than good.

Forum:

Hi Finally50,
I love reading your posts; you are so in tune to your body, and that is what it takes to be successful with this work.
I remember Christine once saying that you can't lift the chest too much, so you are correct in your thinking, and yes it will get better over time. I have also noticed less strain overall as my lumbar curvature started naturally coming into shape.
And yes, I also remember that feeling of my cavernous vagina just spilling its contents when first starting this work. The pressure goes away from our vagina to the lower belly where our breathing helps pin our pelvic organs, so it is going to naturally feel strange at first, but again, overtime this will all feel normal also.
You are doing so well. Keep up the good work and keep posting; we love reading about your journey!

I'm not sure if I have experienced the unconscious kegeling but I can certainly understand how that can happen. What I do sometimes, even now, is discover myself holding a tight belly. Something will tense me up, and that's where the tension settles, and I have to remind myself to relax. i don't have this problem going about my day, because the posture has become automatic in that respect, but stress still creeps in from time to time. There will never be a time when you can throw mindfulness out the window. Keep up the great work! - Surviving

I keep going through the forum to find encouragement and it definitely helps to read that it's a process.
Yesterday and today were harder than last week. Despite a good nights sleep I feel tired and the posture is hard to keep throughout my work day. I felt best this morning. During a hike and was able to keep the posture. I think it's all the different movements I make cleaning houses. I am constantly shifting and having to think. I do love cleaning toilets now though!! Haha. I can sit back on my legs and maintain the posture very easily. Who knew my housekeeping could actual help my prolapse! I kept trying though. Going to bed early tonight and hoping that I can feel more energized tomorrow.

I think that with time, you will gradually be able to tweak your daily tasks in ways that will help you better maintain elements of posture. You'll never be able to maintain perfect posture all the time. I have an increasing challenge right now, because my mom seems to need more and more help each day to get to a sitting or standing position. I feel like it strains me in I ways I can't control well. I compensate as well as I can the rest of the time. For you, being on your feet all day and moving around from task to task, it will feel really good at the end of your day to get down on hands/knees and let those organs really hang in the belly for awhile. It's a great reminder of what we're trying to accomplish with this work. Be patient. I had my best improvements in my second year. - Surviving

Hi inspirational ladies, I'm new to this as from last week. WOW..second year..just dawned on me this is a lifetime gig. I'm ready. Thankyou for being here

Hi Bels - it does become very natural over time. It's part of the fabric of your daily life. It's very liberating to realize that there is nothing better you could be doing for yourself. When you understand what's going on, and realize you have power over it, the fear dissolves. Enjoy the journey! - Surviving

Thankyou Surviving60 for your kind words. Verrry encouraging. My immediate response to my discovery was what sort of surgery should i look into to fix the problem as soon as possible. Once i calmed down and actually thought about the reality of it all... was that my body and i have never taken to medicine very well, except paracetamol. Hence started my search, again, for alternative methods. I am so excited to have found this site and such an incredible woman Christine Kent, who has dared to step outside the box, instead of following the norm and truly help us in such an inspirational way. I adore and fully encourage trailblazers who use their skills working for the greater good. Thankyou Christine. I am really looking forward to learning the techniques and making them routine. Thanks for being here ladies. Its really nice to have others to discuss this with.

Hi, I 'm not totally new to this site but it's been a very, very long time since I have looked at the site. I am disabled in that I am unable to walk for more than a few minutes at a time. I have a very severe limp due to failed surgeries many years ago. My physical disability continues to worsen over time. So much so that my back and neck are painful. I have a complicated sympathetic nervous system disease called CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome). I live with severe pain. How can I manage my prolapse in WW posture and exercise given my situation? Please help if you can. Thank you so much!.

Hi CF - that is a tough question for us to address on the forum. Is the posture itself painful for you? Can you get down on hands and knees, and if so, does this give you relief from prolapse symptoms? This will give you the opportunity to experience the dynamics of holding the organs forward. There is a gentle program called "First Aid for Prolapse for Elders" that is directed at anyone with limited physical abilities. If you can learn to use the posture, along with some firebreathing and safe toileting posture, you might see a definite difference. But a consult directly with Christine is the only way to address your specific health issues and how they relate to this work. - Surviving

Hi, I've been doing the WW workout for 3 years now. For three years I was much more stable and comfortable with Cystocele. Now, at 65, I'm definitely experiencing a decline.....even though I am still consistent with the exercise and posture, my bladder often drops completely out of my vagina, especially when I have to urinate. It is causing ALOT of discomfort and urge incontinence since the nerves in the tissue holding the bladder, being affected by the sensation of coming down and out, really exaserbates the 'urge' sensation. With no warning, this happens and if I don't get to the restroom quick I'm sunk! This is really inconvenient as I work a job where I am physically active, on my feet, most of the day for three days a week. Well, as you can imagine, really inconvenient no matter what!! Here is my bottom line question: can I address this degenerated situation with different posture or breathing or??? or should I consider that the situation will continue to degenerate to the point where the bladder to be consistently displaced in the way? Gosh, I'm thinking if it worsens more at all as I further age, what will I be dealing with? should I seriously consider a pessary? Any input will help! Thanks for being there!

Hi 0097f5ed - can you give us a little more background? Besides doing the workout, do you stay in the posture all day long? Do you practice good WW toileting positions? Do you firebreathe? Do you still have your uterus? - Surviving

I am 83 yrs old and have started leaking. It is a problem.
How do you stop it?

Hi sleepyhollow, can we have a little more information? Is this urinary or fecal incontinence? Have you had hysterectomy or any other pelvic surgeries? And since this is the Whole Woman forum, the next obvious question is, do you observe WW posture? - Surviving

Hi Suriving60
I am new to the WholeWoman site and to the Forum, but am learning more everyday from reading the Forum. I'm working on my posture and like you, find myself holding a tight belly at times. When I am home I let it all "hang" out so to speak (my belly that is) but when I am out in public, I want to "suck" it in while still holding the posture. Is this a big no no? Also, can you give me any pointers on the right posture when sitting?

Hi grandma4,
The best way to get all the information on posture and daily living practices is through the work itself. The best start for most is the Saving the Whole Woman book and First Aid for Prolapse DVD, although there are many other options and combinations to choose from.

Hi again grandma4,
I see you are post hysterectomy? So, the Saving the Post Hysterectomy course would really beneficial for you.