Breathing

Body: 

I'd like to know about how to breathe when getting up and down. When I get up from sitting do I exhale. And after I've hinged at the hips and then coming back up do I exhale?

Forum:

Do I exhale when getting up from a chair and hinging to get something off the floor

Upon exertion, you exhale. I tend to hold my breath which is wrong. I am now trying to exhale when I pick something up or getting up off the ground. One of the other women should be able to explain this further.

It is good to develop and maintain a good breathing pattern during any activities as well as throughout the day, no matter what we are doing. The problem is that we tend to fall out of the deep breathing into our bellies, and go back to chest breathing which is not helpful at all.
Just try to remind yourself throughout the day, all day, deep breath with belly expanding and letting the belly fall back on the out breath, and everything else will fall into place.
Don't overthink this too much. The basics are pretty simple and you can feel your actions coincide very naturally over time.

Well, let’s think about this. In natural posture, the in-breath creates a “barrel effect” in the abdominopelvic space. Think of water pressing against all sides of the barrel. This abdominal “stiffening” is where our true core strength comes from, despite what conventional wisdom has to say on the matter. It is also how our pelvic organs are pinned into position at the front of the body.

Therefore, when raising intra-abdominal pressure (exertion) we would want to be on the in-breath. I don’t usually even think about it, but when I consciously rise from seated I am on the in-breath. All WW exercise is initiated on the in-breath, when the belly comes forward and the tailbone raises.

However, I like to be on the out-breath when bending forward to pick up something light off the floor. You could think of the in-breath as the initial movement in preparation for bending forward. We need the strength of lumbar curvature for the return to standing, which comes from the in-breath.

When lifting something heavy, like a bag of dog food, take a wide stance over the bag, turn your hips out and bend at both hips and knees (keeping one long line from crown of head to tailbone). Get a good grip on the bag, hold it close to your body, and slowly straighten hips and knees.

Miss Piggy, take heart! You could think of your prolapse as an opportunity to create a new and stronger body to take you into your Golden Years. We are the same age and that is certainly my plan!

:-) Christine

...definitely agree with Aging.