Fire Breathing

Body: 

I have a quick questions about the fire breathing exercise. Is this an exercise you can do on your feet while bending over OR on hands and knees and get the same effect? Or do you HAVE to do it on your feet to get the right pelvic angle?

Forum:

Christine actually demonstrates standing and the hands and knees firebreathing in her videos. Both first and third wheel yoga has the hands and knees, and First Aid and Third wheel have the standing version.

Ok so both of them are ok.
My other question is: Do you use the toileting position for urinating or just bowel movements. I have a hard time initiating voiding and emptying my bladder completely when I am pregnant. It has been better this time around, but wanted to double check on that

I don't have the first and third wheel videos, is there a link that shows the hands and knees firebreathing? Is it any different than doing it on feet?

The toileting stance is meant for both bowel movements and urinating. This position is perfect for complete emptying of the bladder, as well as on all fours in the shower.

The yoga DVDs are an excellent investment and continue to add insight into this wonderful work, and they also give and excellent description of firebreathing on all fours, but yea, the breathing pattern is basically the same. I found that starting on all fours and then graduating up to the standing version was easiest for me.

A word of caution though: Christine does say in the book that you shouldn't do firebreathing while pregnant or when we are on our periods.

Why should we not firebreath when we are pregnant? I noticed a comment about it being risky early on. But I have found it helps when I get out of the car after having to ride for a while and at the end of the day when I have pelvic floor pressure but can't lay down and be done moving around yet. I didn't think it would be an issue with me being over halfway

My understanding of it is that it is just too extreme and intense with that kind of vacuum on the uterus.

Here is a thread where from Louise, one of our older members, talking about pregnancy and prolapse, as well as firebreathing:

http://wholewoman.com/forum/node/4458

It's a good read and good advice.

Personally, I have tried firebreathing on my period, and it just left my uterus feeling achy; even pelvic rocks have that affect, so I have just resorted to elbows and knees with deep belly breathing for some relief from the heaviness.

Could someone please post the links to The Village Theatre and Christine's cottage?

If you go to the resources tab above, you can find the ww village post and other helpful links. Is that what you were looking for?

These are references to the layout of the old original WW website. Aging Gracefully is correct, these videos will all be found under Resources. - Surviving

Ok, so just to specify, I should not do the fire breathing or the Nauli. I have not been doing much of the nauli and I was only doing the firebreathing in short intervals. I was not sure if the term "fire breathing" covered the nauli as well or if it was 2 separate concepts within this conversation.
As far as pelvic rocks on all 4 go, how do I make that safe as far as breathing goes. Maybe just not exhale as completely?
So far the firebreathing has cause no cramps, pain, achiness, etc. It has only helped with relieving pressure, but I only do 5 or so at a time.
I know the breathing is the posture and exercises is essential, so I want to make sure I take full advantage and do it correctly

Hi Proverbs - I believe you are at the point now in your understanding of the work, that you can judge for yourself which activities (and how much) feel right for you, and map out your own strategy. You are now in the second half of your pregnancy, and you should listen to your body in all things, and don't overdo. The days/week/months post-partum are going to be very key. For now, continue to do what feels good and safe, and if in doubt about something, then don't. - Surviving

Nauli is done in a vacuum, so it does fall into the same category. Gentle belly rolls as well as deep breathing on knees and elbows would be great alternatives to these more intense activities.

Ok, thank you! I certainly don't want to do anything that would put me or the baby at risk. And with me still learning, I am trying to find ways to build up the muscles I need to maintain the posture as well as ease the growing pressure on my pelvic floor.
In some of my research through the resources last night, I saw the article Christine alluded to about the glutes balancing out the growing belly and it helping to protect the lower back. in pregnancy. I clearly need to strengthen my glutes but I was curious about their role in the posture. I know they are meant to be used to help you straighten from a bend, and they are used during the workouts. But what is their role during sitting/ standing/ moving in the WW posture? Should I be activating them at all during passive activity?

Christine says this in the book: "Contracting the gluteals in standing posture pulls the spine into flexion and disrupts pelvic alignment". - Surviving

Ok, well good to know then