Sitting at office desk

Body: 

Recently changed jobs. Right hip pain has gotten worse. I'm sitting for longer periods of time. Im looking into one of those stand up desks but they're expensive so I have my computer sitting on a crate. Do anyone have any help for better posture sitting and standing at a desk while working on a computer? I'm doing the posture and exercises too.

Would suggest doing the Saving your Hips workout as regularly as you can. Use cushions to keep yourself tilted forward enough not to collapse your spine when sitting, and get up and down as much as possible. Without seeing your actual setup, I can't think of much more to say. It's a common problem so many of us have to work our for ourselves. I would be interested in hearing from any prolapsed women with experience using a standing desk to work on a computer. I always imagined it would not be that conducive to a good strong standing posture, because there might be a tendency to lean in. - Surviving

Thanks Surviving 60! I too would be interested in hearing from those using stand up desks and how it affects POP and hip pain. Its interesting though. I recently went to Mesa Verde Colorado and was hiking and walking all the time very little sitting and my hip pain went away! So I'm trying to walk 1-2 miles per day.

I have a standing workstation but I rarely use it. Like Surviving60 mentioned, it is not condusive to standing correctly. I find my leg starts to ache. Also, I feel less productive. For me, the key to less hip pain it to get up and walk to get the joints lubricated.

Yes standing seems hard for any length of time while working on a computer. I'm try ing to find a towel or pillow that works while seated and maintain my lumber curvature. Sometimes I sit cross legged but again it's hard for any length outcome. Thanks for responding!

Hi Fern,
I have found the best situation at work is to create multiple options. I was able to buy a cheap standing computer table for work (I think it was less than $30). But you can't stand for too long, as you say, so I use it to break up the sitting. I invested my own money in a ball chair (they sell them on amazon) which has made a huge difference for me and I can use it at my desk or my computer table. You can roll your hips around, tilt forward, bounce up and down, etc. I rarely use the little backrest on it, so I am constantly having to be in WW posture and be conscious about it. I agree with others too, that just getting up and moving around (even if it's just to go to bathroom or fill my water bottle) helps my hips and back.