Pregnant with prolapse and spotting

Body: 

Is it common to spot while pregnant with a prolapse. I have pelvic organ prolapse and currently 5 and a half weeks pregnant. I'm spotting off and on and worried. I haven't been wearing my pessary because I have to use progesterone suppositories 4x a day and was also concerned about taking the pessary in and out constantly.

I don't believe that prolapse causes spotting, pregnant or not. Possibly the hormones are causing the spotting. I'm not famiiar with progesterone suppositories but they sound risky to me, especially considering the well-being of your unborn baby.. - Surviving

...with Surviving. Best wishes for a positive outcome BajanBeauty.

Thanks for the response. The progesterone is to help support the pregnancy. I've has 2 miscarriages and a stillbirth so my doctor prescribed the progesterone in early pregnancy to help support the lining of the uterus. My prolapse wasn't this advanced when I was pregnant before so the spotting concerned me. My doc and nurse said spotting is common but given my history it makes me nervous.

Yes, progesterone is still given for this indication by clueless doctors, but it’s far more complicated than the hormone going straight to the endometrium to simply support pregnancy. To have effects it must go through the bloodstream first and then find its way to progesterone receptors.

Meanwhile, it can easily be turned into the stress hormone cortisol, any of the androgens and estrogens, and a number of progesterone metabolites. There is no doctor, scientist, or hormone expert who can tell you exactly the effect those suppositories are having.

Here is the latest perspective on the fallacy of supplemental progesterone for preventing miscarriage: http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/9829-201606229829

Sending you love and prayers for a successful outcome.

Thanks for the article. My doctor not only has me on the progesterone suppositories 4x daily. He has me doing the progesterone in oil injections which are a pain in the ass, literally. My behind is black and blue from these shots.

The spotting seems to have subsided so I'm taking it easy and hoping for the best.

...especially when you consider doctors are getting kick-backs from promoting these drugs.