A question for Christine: Fluoride in water and toothpaste

Body: 

It seems we are exposed to fluoride everywhere: There is fluoride in the city’s water supply and in most toothpastes. Then there is the fluoride treatment after each dental cleaning. Recently, with braces for my kid, we were given a prescription for PreviDent gel (1.1% sodium fluoride). You are supposed to brush teeth first with the regular toothpaste and rinse. Then, you are supposed to brush for a minute with this fluoride gel. The instruction sheet from the dentist says that “fluoride gel is a MUST when wearing braces...to protect the tooth enamel from decalcification.” The information sheet that comes with the gel clearly instructs that pediatric patients rinse their mouth thoroughly after brushing with the gel, BUT, the orthodontist insisted--when I showed her the instructions--that there should be no rinsing after brushing with this gel!

There are studies that clearly state that fluoride is carcinogenic and mutagenic with adverse effects on fertility. So, I would rather not use the fluoride gel for brushing, or at least rinse thoroughly after use. Of course, we would make sure that the brushing/flossing routine is followed carefully.

We do have a Kohler water filter, made of charcoal carbon block, with 0.5 micron rating. It does not remove fluoride in the water. Our city’s water supply has “approximately one part per million of fluoride (about 1 mg per liter)”.

--Are there any natural compounds that prevent cavities while one has braces?
--Do you recommend using fluoride-free toothpaste and water?
--Which filters are able to remove fluoride from water?

Would love to hear from other members too!

Forum:

Hi Sunflower,

I certainly can't comment on the orthodontic issue except to agree that fluoride is a problem for all the reasons you outline (and more!)

I have been planning to create a video program on teeth, because I've learned so much from saving my own. We even shot an interview with the head of Boston University's periodontal dept. when we were on the east coast with our camera equipment years ago.

My mother hated my father when I was young, and as an adult looking back I believe one of the ways she punished him was by letting my teeth rot and sending me to the dentist every 3 months, which he was on the hook to pay for. I laugh about it today, but by the time I hit puberty all my back teeth were completely filled. Luckily, when I married Lanny in my early 30s I was able to have them all crowned, which has held up well, but there are problem areas I must stay on top of all the time. I haven't been to a dentist since - 30 years! and have learned that teeth can truly be preserved for the long-term.

I believe our gravity-feed water filter removes fluoride - you might change filters.

Christine

Thanks, Christine!

I will have to look into gravity-fed filters. Don't know anything about them!

Keeping 1-2 spoons of sesame oil in mouth for about 5-10 minutes is very good for teeth and gums, but it's hard to make a child do that every day.
Would like to know if there are any other foods/herbs that would help with cavity prevention.