Running post surgery but with another prolapse

Body: 

I had surgery 16 months ago due to a severe rectocele that became very problematic. I found whole woman before the surgery but found myself unable to live with the symptoms.

All went well (for now I guess) but have developed a cyctocele which I am managing with WW posture and lifestyle changes.

I have been a bit of a runner in my life and found the lack of running (couldn’t run with rectocele at all) for the last years very dis-satisfying and challenging emotionally.

I just wanted to share that today after walking ing WW posture for a while, I went for my first run.

Forgive the capital letters but they are happy ones... WOW WOW WOW. I felt like crying but was enjoying the run (well very slow jog actually) so much. My prolapse was no different after the run (placement wise) than when I go for a walk. It always comes out but I manage that when I get home with rest.

I can run again. Perhaps only two or three times a week but I am just so so so happy.
Thank you Christine for all the work you have put in and shared with us. Toe strike first felt so light and natural for me.

Forum:

Hi and welcome Sheryl,

So glad to hear it! It is no surprise, as I will be explaining more about in the near future. Since you mentioned it, I will go ahead now and make the important announcement I have been planning.

Okay dear Whole Women, we are on the verge of another major WW shift in natural posture and movement!

Remember in the WW Walking and Running video I called walking toe-strike-first "Transitional Walking?"

Well...the time has come to Transition!! WW is still so unique in the world, that I thought I had better wait for the right time to introduce toe-strike-first walking as the anatomically correct human gait that does wonders for prolapse, incontinence and chronic hip pain.

Toddlers walk toe-strike-first until they are put into shoes, after which they must seriously adjust their balance to walk heel-strike-first.

What you will find as you work with this is that your pelvis literally floats in your body as your pelvic organs are pushed toward the front (and away from the outlet at the back).

Yes, it is hard at first! You use muscles in your thighs and butt you never knew you had! The forefoot spreads out and feels the ground in front of you, so you become much more sensitive and aware in your body. I have been walking like this as my only gait for several months and it truly does change everything. Once you are established in forefoot walking, walking on your heels feels very clunky as your tailbone drops and the organs are shifted toward the back.

The hardest part is remembering to do it, but it becomes easier and more natural as time goes by. I haven't found who they are, but have heard that a couple of Swiss women have researched this and shown that European people walked this way in soft shoes before the 13th or 14th century. To me it just seems to restore our natural architecture, and that is why I put it in the walking and running video several years ago.

One very interesting aspect of this gait is that you (or at least I) can't walk fast very comfortably. If I must walk fast, I might as well run up on my toes. You can walk much heavier and faster heel-strike-first. The implication of this, of course, is that we are forced to slow down - what a joyful revelation!

I implore all of you to play with this and have fun! Walking in this way with the WW Posture Belt highly corrects the spine and pelvis into their natural alignment.

Let me know how you do!

:-) Christine

Wow Christine,
When I first started walking in WW I used to do the toe first thing.
I just watched a you tube video of the stages a baby goes through and bare footed walking was toe first. The last scene they show the toddler in shoes, supposedly at the stage of confident walker, and their gait and foot position has completely changed to heel strike....they also seem to be leaning back even more...
Lately I have been observing people walking and they seem to be going as fast as they can; rushing to get the next thing done... So stressful. I read about a lady who started to walk more leisurely and she lost more weight than when she was walking faster... mindfulness and a kind of meditation and being in the present moment... working with the body --- rather than working the body....

Warmer weather here so will be doing the experiment, thanks so much for posting this... Scottish Country Dancing is an extension of this!

:-) Aussie Soul Sister

P.S. The toe first gait would relieve the joints of the tremendous force that walking heel strike first puts on the joints and maybe we will last longer... lol

So true Soul Sis! Your legs will become more beautifully shaped as everything strengthens and aligns. Coming back to natural human walking is another step in returning to our Divine Sacred Geometry. Sorry if it sounds preachy, but it's abundantly true!

Thanks Christine for sharing this. I have been practising it the last few hours since reading your post. It feels so graceful and elegant to walk toes first. I'm looking forward to seeing how it helps my cystocele.
:-)

Christine - would you consider posting a video of yourself walking this way? I think many of us who spend most of our day out in public, may be wondering if this can look natural, or if others will just think we have a strange gait. Just being honest here. If this is an issue for me, I'm sure I'm not the only one. Of course we can all practice this on our own time, but when I do it, I have no idea what I look like. - Surviving

This sounds wonderful but trying to picture it. I walk/hike every day as therapy for my POP and want to get the most out of it. Sheryl I hear the joy in your post and so glad you are able to do the thing you love again!!

I can’t provide a visual quite yet, but you all can do this! All it is is stepping out with your forefoot instead of your heel. Yes, it does look odd and different in our modern culture! And people do look, which doesn’t bother me in the least.

Understand this is highly controversial. The experts will argue back and forth for decades to come (especially heel-strike-first athletic shoe manufacturers), but you get to choose what feels best for you.

Trying to do this whenever I remember to, at least around the house, and I have to admit it feels great. - Surviving

Yes, it takes all pressure off the lower back and hips. :-)

around my house first, it feels so good! may be easier with a little heel on the street, going up hill may be easier than down hill.
I am going to practise outside now!