How do I know if I am standing straight? I'm not always sure, any pointers.

Forum:

Hi northerngranny,
What we do and focus on with the whole woman work is the principles of posture. Go back over your materials to where Christine describes the posture in detail. I know when I first started, the posture felt awkward, but with consistent study and watching the videos, it became more natural and comfortable.

Hi, I have bought a few things, but I am unclear where to get detailed descriptions of WW posture in standing, seated, walking, etc. And the other techniques mentioned in my title but probably misspelled. I joined the group because I have a very flat back from a slip fall injury 4 years ago, and this seems to be the place to learn how to restore a curve. But when I sit in WW posture, it feels like I may be tipping my pelvis too far forward. And I can’t really do it while standing. In that case is it best to start with sitting and progress to standing? Please help and thank you in advance.

Hi StuckSacrum - you are correct that restoring natural posture means restoring the lumbar curvature. We don't give medical advice here; but if you can tell us what WW resources you have, we can help you find the specifics you are looking for. - Surviving

I have the introductory video w posture & toileting; remember to remember and the first wheel yoga. I am considering the Save your hips collection.

Christine indicates that you can emphasize the lumbar curve & avoid nerve pinching by simply dropping your shoulders and lifting from your mid/upper chest. Did I understand this correctly?

Well, there is a bit more to WW posture than that, and I don't know what to say about your nerve pinching issue. The Fundamentals program you have, will get you started and explains posture in detail. For the other tools you'll want to get First Aid for Prolapse or the WW Solution. If the standing posture causes pain, due to prior injuries, you might want to consider a consult with Christine -- Surviving

I am trying to avoid a hysterectomy for my prolapsed uterus. My daughter told me about this site and I am glad I haven't followed through with the operation that I was made to feel was the only solution. I was wondering if swimming would be beneficial such as the breast stroke and head up crawl. I used to do squats and abdominal exercises and feel this made my situation worse. What exercise program should I start with?

Hi solet and welcome,
So glad you found us! Avoiding surgery is what this site is all about. Once you have discovered the proper alignment of whole woman posture, you will find the true way of relieving those nagging prolapse symptoms. The posture is the key here, and Christine explains it beautifully in her work.
Have a good look around this site, and then head on over to the whole woman store where you will find the many options to fit you and your lifestyle. Come back here for any further questions about this very important work.

Hi solet and welcome. Swimming is great exercise but it doesn't really have any effect on prolapse one way or the other. The important work of prolapse management happens when we are on our feet, using our posture/breathing and the forces of gravity to hold our organs in place. Take a look at this little video for an overview. - Surviving

https://wholewoman.com/newpages/video/ww101.html

I watched the videos but it seems no matter what I do my shoulders hurt, shoulders forward I have discomfort, pull shoulders back, discomfort, it shouldn't be this hard, would those posture t-shirts help? I get the chest out and relaxing the belly but the shoulder thing I can't get it. Any suggestions?

Of course it is not easy at first to adjust to a new posture. Look how long it took for us to fall out of proper alignment.
You don't pull your shoulders back or curl them forward, just relax them down. Pulling up from the back of the neck with chin tucked helps with this. And, chest is pulled up, not out.
Posture should be watched over and over, and practiced as much as possible, until you have all the elements. Once you do, over time, it starts to feel more natural. Don't force it, just work on the elements. They do start to fall into place if you give it the time and patience needed.