Am i too young to have a cystocele?

Body: 

I just turned 16. Ive had a bulge on the¨roof¨ of my vagina for as long as I can remember and I thought it was normal. I realized its not normal to feel like you cant ever fully empty your bladder and started looking for reasons why thats always happened to me. A bladder prolapse best fits my symptoms but ive never even had sex. I dont understand and am too embarrassed to tell anyone. I would appreciate any advice or knowledge anyone is willing to share.

Thanks in advance,
Jade

Hi and welcome Jade,

Well, it’s rare, but I believe you are our third 16-year old with prolapse. Actually, I think you are the first with cystocele. As I recall, the others had either rectocele or uterine prolapse. Sixteen is the youngest, but we’ve also helped 17-year-olds.

If you want the Whole Woman perspective on prolapse as resulting from loss of natural alignment, I think Whole Woman Yoga - The Second Wheel would be a good, inexpensive choice from which you could learn how important this work is for maintaining your pelvic organ support system. A good diet and never straining against the toilet seat (just lean forward and lift your weight slightly off the seat when you need to increase pressure), will probably improve things significantly.

Otherwise, don’t stress about it and know that if you correct your alignment now, it is unlikely to get any worse, and will very likely improve.

Also...understand and a small bump in front and a small bump in back is anatomically normal in the mature vagina.

*IMPORTANT* Because you are a minor, please talk with your mother and make an appointment with a healthcare practitioner to get a formal diagnosis.

Wishing you well,

Christine

I agree with Christine that you should get a diagnosis. Normally with older women where the symptoms and conditions are more obvious, we would not be pointing them in the direction of their doctors. But you are young, and a medical exam could be helpful here.

Maybe you have a cystocele, and maybe you don't. If you do, it is extremely mild if you are only sensing a bulge in the vaginal wall, and nothing presenting at the opening, and no heavy feeling. But either way, two things are important. One is that you learn correct posture, which has a host of benefits throughout life; and the other is that you start emptying your bladder completely, otherwise you are in for some serious problems down the road. Christine has a Fundamentals product that will start you off on posture and toileting practices. One thing you can try is to get down on hands and knees in the shower, relax and let the water flow over you, and empty your bladder there. This tips the bladder into an easier position for draining. If you can achieve complete emptying once a day, you should be fine there.

If you are doing any heavy-duty exercise of the type that emphasizes abdominal "core" strength and the tightening of your abs, stop now! This is one of the biggest culprits in today's epidemic of prolapse.

I hope you can relax a bit, and not get yourself too worked up. But do schedule that checkup as it will most likely help ease your mind. - Surviving