Cystocele vs. vaginal bulge / Which video first / US vs. EU approaches

Body: 

Dear WW villagers, I’m new here — inspired by your collective resilience, resolve, and generosity of spirit — and have a few detailed questions about my very hazily diagnosed cystocele. I will try to be succinct while providing enough backstory.

Me: a first-time mother at 39, now 5 months postpartum. Had prenatal care in US and EU, gave birth in the US, returned to the EU c. 4 mo. postpartum. A healthy pregnancy and reassuring vaginal birth left me feeling strong, confident, mobile. And so I resumed daily life far too soon, oblivious of the importance of giving my body enough time to recover. (I've never had much of a female ‘village’ about me, never got specific wisdom about postpartum healing, and, alas, might have dismissed it even if I had.)

My symptoms: ongoing and gradually exacerbating pelvic pressure/heaviness (no incontinence), plus the unpleasantly curious sensation of some new envelope-like opening down there, as if my clitoris had parted or my urethra had opened up to let the air rush up — i.e., some inner surface not accustomed to exposure to air now feels exposed. As for the pressure, it's mostly my labia that feel laden. Prolonged standing and sitting intensify the heaviness; sitting in particular can make my vagina feel quite low, as if it will eventually touch the chair. However, because the common description of feeling as if something is about to “fall out” didn’t quite match my sensations, I was disinclined until very recently to believe it could be a prolapse. Timeline (kindly keep reading, but skip to 5 mo. postpartum below if you’d like to get to the gist ASAP):

1 mo. postpartum: did nothing different; told myself the discomfort would dissipate on its own with time.

2 mo. postpartum: midwife who performed my routine 8-week postpartum checkup (in lithotomy position of course, which I now know could be misleading) saw no signs of prolapse, only a “slightly bowed” urethra which she said ought to improve with time and Kegels. I did do some Kegels in the ensuing weeks, inconsistently, and didn’t feel an effect one way or the other.

2-4 mo. postpartum: took care of baby on my own (partner had to travel for work), which meant overdoing everything I already overdid — above all the daily baby-wearing of my baby who weighed at the 98th percentile, often going on long brisk walks for fresh air and errands, often lugging groceries on my body at the same time. The heaviness became more noticeable, for a hour or two each day, but I kept thinking it’d be OK as long as I slept (reclined) enough everyday to compensate for gravity upright.

4 mo. postpartum: saw an American PT specializing in women’s health who told me to do Kegels, pelvic tilts, and inner-thigh abductor squeezes. Already agnostic about Kegels by this time, and anyway too occupied by baby to add any new routine into my life, I didn’t much follow her advice, but guiltily kept wondering whether I should.

5 mo. postpartum, back in the EU: 1) began reading this site more intensively, found Christine’s “Prolapse Self-Exam” document, asked my partner to examine me: when I parted my labia minora with my fingers, he saw a bulge similar to that shown in the stage 2 cystocele photo in the WW doc, though mine was a bit more recessed. 2) I immediately then saw a reputable female gynecologist who examined me in lithotomy position and ran a transvaginal ultrasound: she said my uterus is properly in place, but my vaginal walls are hanging low, mostly due to estrogen levels as I’m breastfeeding. Confusingly, she added she would call what I have a cystocele, probably stage 1, but that it’s just my vagina that’s low, not my bladder or urethra. However, I'm not sure that she took a careful look at those organs.

My questions are as follows:

1) Is it permissible to link to a photograph of my possible cystocele situation (anonymized of course, on a generic photo-sharing server) to invite your thoughts on what it might in fact be? Would doing so be within bounds of WW-village ethos / etiquette?

2) I’m confused by the gyno’s diagnosis of a cystocele without displacement of the bladder. Can a sagging vaginal wall look like a bulge, yet not be sagged by anything behind/above it such as the bladder? Is there such a thing as a cystocele without bladder descent? (I’ve no incontinence, and can empty my bladder fully.)

3) Could a cystocele progress a stage or two within three months? I'm trying to piece together the midwife's comments at 2 mo. with the gynecologist's at 5 mo. Could it be that what I have is in fact a urethral cystocele, i.e., a low urethra pushing down the vaginal wall (until the latter becomes visible as the bulge)? And if there's urethra descent, can bladder descent be far behind? Isn't the bladder always bearing down onto the urethra simply by sitting atop it?

4) Gyno told me that any upright exertion including walking will put pressure on the area and thus ought to be done in moderation. I understand that the WW approach encourages activity in posture. Does this hold if it’s indeed primarily my vagina itself that’s the issue?

5) She said that my condition ought to improve after stopping breastfeeding, but WW forum members’ experiences seem to contradict this. At the risk of some redundancy to previous posts here and there: may I ask others to weigh in on whether you noticed some correlation between stopping BF and feeling better?

6) Gyno didn’t mention Kegels but recommended electro-stimulation, which I understand is standard insurance-covered postpartum therapy in much of Europe (e.g., “la reeducation perinatale” in FR, Beckenbodentraining in DE/AT/CH). Might any of you be able to share your experience with this form of treatment, if any, not in lieu of but as supplemental to WW posture? Any general experiences integrating the WW approach with the EU approach?

7) I’ve made up my mind to learn WW posture & exercises, and have already begun trying to sit in the forum-recommended position of butt on chair edge, chest lifted, shoulders down, conscious of my lumbar curve. But I need more precise direction as to which video(s) to order first, especially as I’m still unclear on my type of pelvic condition. Can I start with the yoga series, and would they show me how to get the WW posture right? Or must “First Aid for Prolapse” be my first step? Also, I see that “The First Wheel” can be ordered on its own, but can I also order “The Second Wheel” DVD by itself? In the WW store I only see “The Second Wheel” offered as part of the 3-video series, but am very much on a budget and hope to be able to try the WW program one step at a time.

I am grateful to have found WW and already feel in my whole outlook a shift toward patience, gentleness, and long-sightedness. One fundamental precept of Christine’s that’s really sunken in with me, for instance, is the assertion that yoga as it’s currently taught (regardless of school) caters to male physiology, to the detriment of women’s health. As a former yoga devotee I definitely want to reorient.

I also feel lucky to (seem to) be in the milder / earlier stages of pelvic distress, but am intent on addressing what no doubt can only progress for the worse without address, and thus hope to benefit from WW techniques and this forum. Thank you for reading this lengthy first post, and I look forward to any input from you.

Walking has always helped me. It will help.

When my toddler naturally weaned it did help eventually when the nursing hormones were gone as my general laxity of joints and pelvis as well as vaginal dryness was less. I would never however tell someone to wean for that reason. Nursing is healthy for Mom and baby. I think whole woman is still essential for me even with the bit of help weaning is.

I think first aid for prolapse is a great start and if one can not afford then the fundamentals.

Hope this helps.

I have another moment and wanted to say that I have never been able to understand the distinction between sagging vaginal walls and prolapse of an organ. That seems so mysterious to me. I prefer to think of it all as some sort of displacement of the organs and tissue. I tend to think it all just needs the same thing, and for me that answer is whole woman posture and movement . The doctors and PTs I have seen have all given me distinct and different grades and diagnosis to my prolapsing. I think it changes based on the time of month or even just the day or maybe the position one is in. Also there may not even be a standard that all medical personnel use at all. I don’t feel formal description of my prolapses help me too much in determining what to do. I’m not a medical person, just another Mom and woman but this is what I have worked out for myself in my mind. In case any of that helps.

I probably won't have many answers for you but thought I'd give it a shot lol - I myself am about 6 1/2 months pp, and I'm 38, just to give you some background. I came here 1 month pp with a cystocele and then discovered a rectocele about a month after that.
Your description does sound a bit unique but I myself have these 'lax' vaginal walls... I'm inclined to think that it's somewhat normal post partum and with breastfeeding. I've heard that laxness can occur post menopause and while we're breastfeeding - our body is in a sort of menopause-like state. I do believe that some of this laxity will go away once I stop breastfeeding but I'm not going to find out until I'm done...
also, shockingly (to me anyway!) - we ARE approaching middle age. Things are starting to sag...pushing out a baby can sort of speed that up - but really - my boobs are saggy, my face is starting to get saggy, my soft tummy is also saggy to my horror, it's always been soft but now it's kinda..... hangy..... so yeah, why not the vaginal walls? I feel that with age - our whole bodies get a bit more lax.
now if the bladder isn't pushing back for you yet, but the walls are lax, it's really only a matter of time i think... not that it has to get worse - but you may as well proceed as if you have a cystocele since you want to really make sure your organs are in the right spot given that your pelvic supports are not what they were.
the open feeling - i mean, after my 1st kid 2+ years ago I felt like my labia and everything were just 'open' way more than before.... i think now that it's been that way for a while, I feel like it's normal. so some degree of opening is normal after having kids and some of that never goes away. however, with this posture, you do help to zip up the underlying muscle so it should help a bit with that too.

I made the mistake of looking with a hand mirror when I discovered my prolapse.... i'm not a looker - some women on here are cool with examining everything thoroughly - I'm kinda jealous because I'm one of the ones who'd rather never see that side of myself lol. but anyway - I looked ~6 weeks pp and to my horror I saw my urethra. I used to feel like it was right under my clitoris and now it felt like the whole area shifted and it was like an inch away now. I had my husband look and he claimed it looked the same it always was and that he had seen my urethra before... if that's not intimacy i don't know what is...
so what i'm saying is that things shift around a bit post partum - some degree is 'normal'
however i've also read that a cystocele can make the urethra look more dilated so maybe this new exposure to air IS to some extent because of your possible cystocele.

walking is really good for your pelvic system as long as it's done correctly - lumbar curve, chest up, breathe from your diaphragm not your chest. Christine explains this all better - it does really help to have her do it via the video.
I started with the first aid for prolapse and then got the post partum one - as well as the yoga workouts. I think either the postpartum one or the first aid one will get you what you need but you may want to read the blog entry Christine posted about the new materials - she's currently updating.

Anyway - welcome.... keep us updated how things go.... I got a lot of comfort hearing about the full year (possibly 2 really) of post partum healing. It makes sense since you've been stretched for about 6 months, plus the hormonal cascade during and after pregnancy - yet we're conditioned to feel like 6 weeks and you're good to go.go.go. so you've still got a lot of healing and reverting coming up.

I feel like the sagginess is either a precursor or a symptom or whatever - it's basically a sign that there is a compromise. Just because the bladder isn't pushing at the wall at the time of exam, it either is at other times or it will be unless you can get the organs in the correct spot.... either way -you definitely don't want the bladder falling back against a wall that's already lax for whatever reason....
I personally was holding onto hope that it's "just lax vaginal walls" and not full blown prolapse... in my mind it sounded better... but I could no longer do that once my bladder was peeking and clearly visible.

I always liked this explanation from Christine:

https://www.wholewoman.com/forum/comment/18098#comment-18098

Another oldy but goody. They talk about saggy pelvic floor in this one, but I think it really pertains to the saggy wall description too:
https://www.wholewoman.com/forum/node/5132

I remember having a lot of bulging and sagginess after having my babies too, but it went away until my forties. There came a point in time I couldn't keep a tampon in anymore. I thought saggy walls was a normal part of aging, and I was oblivious of my symptoms until I found full on uterine prolapse. The sagginess I was feeling was everything falling back and pulling on my vaginal tissue as well. There is a picture of this somewhere, but I don't know where at the moment.
The whole woman posture pulls our vaginas toward the lower belly and closes onto itself helping to alleviate that saggy feeling, so starting this work postpartum is so beneficial for the long term comfort of our pelvic organs.