NYT article

Body: 

Hi WW,

Please check out the following article!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/business/vaginal-mesh-surgery-lawsuit...

Here is my comment, in case you can't find it amongst the others (I had to edit it a bit to fit the 1500 character limit):

Do not be fooled into believing the primary purpose of this article is to expose unscrupulous doctors, predatory lenders and attorneys. The entire web of exploitation of women described here would not exist if transvaginal mesh had not been ushered onto the market in 2002, despite a decade of study illuminating the serious risks of erosion and migration associated with polypropylene mesh. It is preposterous to state that problems with transvaginal mesh began to surface a mere 6 years ago, and that no more than 15% of implanted women develop symptoms. The studies that do exist are highly biased, retrospective, and with short-term follow up.

The evidence is overwhelming that transvaginal mesh most certainly does represent a “ticking time bomb” in women. If there were a clear and equitable path to mesh removal for the tens of thousands of women in the US alone who require it, the shadow industry described here would not exist. For many years only one institution in all of the United States and Canada was officially established to serve untold numbers of women by removing transvaginal mesh. One department at UCLA Medical Center does nothing but remove transvaginal mesh day in and day out. However, only for women who can afford it. The initial consultation and examination fee is $3,000. Who are the real villains here? The FDA and the practices of gynecology, urology, and urogynecology must lead the list.

Transvaginal mesh is big business with no end in sight: https://opinioninvestor.com/pelvic-organ-prolapse-repair-device-market-r..., even though the entire concept of reinforcing the vaginal walls with surgical mesh is erroneous.

The pelvic organs are not supported by a soft-tissue “pelvic floor”, but rather by the lower abdominal wall. Every woman instinctively knows this is true. Yet, it has simply never been pointed out because for 150 years gynecology has put forth a false concept of female anatomy.

No woman “needs” transvaginal mesh. Rather, women need education and support.

Christine Kent
Whole Woman Inc.

I recently cancelled my NYT subscription, after reading just one too many health-related articles written to promote the interests of the medical-pharmaceutical machine and to defend its practices. This one is yet another horrible example, and maybe the worst one yet, in terms of its potential to mislead the public by diverting our attention from the real issues at stake. - Surviving

Thank you Surviving, for telling it like it is. I noticed this morning at least one comment by a mesh survivor who totally agreed. I love the words of my French friend, who sent me the link to the article:

"It is not difficult to know who is behind this, the mesh fabricant, johnson and other clique,
they advertise in the new york times, they have friends there, they have so many lawsuits, that they found the way to turn the problem around! this is disgusting, and I am not surprised."

Christine