Prolapse, Bending and Lifting

Body: 

Hi, I'm new here. I have a prolapsed uterus with cystocele. I've gone though Christine's First Aid for Prolapse and the Exercise Bundle, and I'm finding that the WW posture and the exercises are helping my prolapse. But I'm frustrated about bending and lifting because I'm not sure whether I'm doing it right, and it gets exhausting. I've been searching through the forum for more details about bending and lifting, but I'm a bit confused.

I understand about maintaining WW posture and hinging from the hips when I bend, but I'm not sure about my feet. Should they be flat on the floor, parallel with my legs, or do I spread my legs and feet out to the sides when I bend?

Also, should my knees be straight when I bend over, or can I bend them?

I'd love some guidance:)

Thanks!

Hi Bella - you might find these pictures helpful. - Surviving

https://www.wholewoman.com/forum/comment/28001#comment-28001

those pictures are what saved me a lot of headache and worry - it's great to see a visual (or as many visuals as possible).
Also, Christine lifting her granddaughter out of the stroller in one of the videos also helped me a lot (as well as when she shows how to vacuum and ride a bike - I believe that's FAFP).

I have to say - in the beginning the lifting and bending was my biggest concern... I'm doing a lot of bending and lifting and I was SO worried that i was going to make things worse.... then as I learned more about this i realized that one false move isn't going to make or break the work done before. It's almost good to experiment to an extent to see what feels better or makes things worse (as long as you're experimenting with the stuff you've learned on here). I was never sure I was doing anything right but i'd try it out and see and if it made things feel better, I'd go with it...

In the pictures surviving linked to - #4 is how I do a lot of things that in the past would require me to be in an obtuse angle (wiping counters, vacuuming, cleaning the toilet lol). I can't stand tall to do a lot of things so #4 is my go to move for any bending...
For lifting - just keep your lumbar curve in place and hold everything close to your chest and try to lift chest as soon as you can (if you can't keep it lifted the whole time).
My biggest mistakes come when I'm in a rush... when I slow down and focus I can get it right.
The other thing i'm trying to do is loosen my super tight hamstrings so I can bend with straight legs while keeping lumbar curve... I think the goal is to be able to bend with lumbar curve and straight legs but if you're like me and a lifetime of sitting at a desk makes that impossible, lumbar curve and legs bent is the next best.

Thanks for the link, Surviving!

I did actually see the images earlier. I can see that this way of lifting would be great for heavier objects, but it confused me in relation to doing something simple like picking up something that I've dropped on the floor, or filling and emptying the washing machine and dishwasher. I thought I was supposed to bend over all the way to the floor with slightly bent or straight legs while maintaining WW posture. This is what I've been doing, and it's been exhausting, but maybe I'm not doing it properly.

Also, do you have a technique for tying your shoelaces? :)

Hi Typicalme,

I love your name:)

Thanks so much for your lovely message! I agree, it is great to see visuals. I have FAFP, and have seen Christine showing how to lift, vacuum and ride a bike.

I agree with you about experimenting with what works and what doesn't. I find myself doing that, too. I think I look in the mirror at least ten times a day to check. But, I'm learning a lot by doing this. It's really quite fascinating:)

I know that feeling about being scared that one false move will ruin my progress, but I'm starting to relax about that more now, too. If my prolapse suddenly bulges more, I find that I can reduce the size by maintaining WW posture when I'm standing and sitting. I think it's just the bending down to pick things up or to move something that increases the bulge.

Thanks too for your tips about lifting. I'll keep what you say in mind. And, yes, I have tight hamstrings, too. I haven't had a lifetime of sitting at a desk, but I have been sitting at a desk for the last 14 years. I'm also trying to bend with lumbar curve and straight legs. Maybe we can learn to do it together:)

PS: How do you put socks on and do up your shoelaces?

Hi Bella,
this has been a puzzle for me for a while until the other day I just decided to lie flat on the floor and put on my shoes and socks with each leg in the air! When I am out and need to retie laces I find a short wall to put my foot onto, or I have been known to balance with leg up knee bent and do the shoelace that way...there are some things that seem impossible to keep in WW but in general keeping the posture when possible, is what matters... and we do become very creative as we go along this journey!
All the best,
Aussie Soul Sister

i'm trying to remember back when it was cold since I tend to go barefoot a lot, and wear ballet type slip ons for work... I also tie my tennis shoes once and slip them on (sockless)...
but I tie a lot of little shoes :)
I do a proposal/prince charming move - on one knee. Socks - I sit on the bed and put them on by crossing my foot over my opposite knee and *try* to keep lumbar curve.
And as far as lifting lighter items, I still try to do the moves from the images but I don't hold the item close to my chest - just in my hand... it does look a bit exaggerated but it is what it is.
always bend at the hips no matter what and never curve your back if you can help it...

and yeah - it's not possible to do everything in posture - but as long as you do most things in posture you'll be ok :)

Hi my Aussie Soul Sister,
I love you creativity:) I'm dong the same thing, trying to find creative ways of doing things.

I've been tying my shoelaces by hinging at the hips and bending all the way down. Do you think that's a good idea?

For my socks, I've been standing on one leg and hurriedly stuffed my other foot in the sock, but it's not a good way of doing it....sometimes I tip over:) But I think sitting on the floor in WW posture with knees bent and pulled up towards me might be a lot easier.

And, then there's putting nail polish on my toes......that's fun too:)

All the best to you as well,
Bella18

It really helps to hear how you, and others, do things:)

I'm discovering that I can still do things, I just have to do some things differently. And, that's the fun part, finding creative ways of doing things while, as you say, maintaining WW posture and bending from the hips.....and checking in the mirror to see what's ok and what's not ok:)

Thanks again for your support:)

It is some months ago, but maybe you can help me: what do you mean by mirror looking? On the toilet down there or a normal mirror to check posture?

Where ARE the pictures? There are no pictures with this link-https://www.wholewoman.com/forum/comment/28001#comment-28001

There are links in the post.....you have to click on each one for the pix to come up. - Surviving

Thank you Surviving60, before I saw your reply, I went back and fiddled around again and saw them. I had been clicking on the heading instead of in the body of the post.