skies, new member

Body: 

new and learning (I posted this in the wrong place so I added it here.)

I am almost 70 and have not been able to sleep though the night for years. Have to get up and pee several times a night. I had been wondering why... well as I felt more pressure I decide to "look" about three months ago. What a shocking surprise when I saw a bulge pressing down and blocking the vagina. What the heck?? Is it a tumor I wondered. Is this it for me? I'm not too keen on asking doctors for advice... until I have figured things out for myself first. So I did a lot of research online. Background info on me; I had a hysterectomy (ovaries & cervix left in) when I was 35. Anyway, after days of searching, I arrived at my conclusion. Prolapse. Bladder for sure, perhaps bowel is part of it too. The prolapse is pushing down and is bulging. I have to be very careful or it will all come out. I found this web site and have picked it as my guide. I read a lot of stories and learned a lot here. I'm just starting, but will continue learning here... slowly. I felt overwhelmed as I realized there is so much to learn, but I will stay the course as I believe it makes sense. I'm going to take things at my speed. One more thing - I have seen a change in the prolapse recently... I can see 2 rips now in the very thin skin that is holding the bladder up. The holes are small - about half the size of a pea. I have not found any info on that yet. Has anyone had that happen? I'm so grateful that this web site is here.
update; one hole looks like the cervix / prolapse.

thanks to aging gracefully and surviving 60 for your help at the other forum

There are so many areas here that have wonderful help, and I believe that I should start, in this order: with posture, toilet changes and breathing first. Is this a pretty good beginning? I also plan on reading all the newsletters and watching and reading everything I can. I can already see I have a LOT to change. This web site is a life boat, and I'm now in it.

Hi Skies - Hysterectomy completely alters the dynamics of pelvic organ support, by removing the "hub of the wheel". This is why after hysterectomy, other organs tend to prolapse sooner or later. Your success with the WW work will depend on a number of factors (most importantly, how much vaginal length remains, because the goal of posture is to be able to close/flatten that space to keep the organs out). And you must also proceed with caution. Often with hyst, the vaginal vault is tethered to the top of the spine with sutures, and certain of our moves (like pelvic rocks if done too strenuously) can endanger those connections. For all these reasons and more, Christine created a post-hyst program.

But in answer to your question, yes, posture/toileting/breathing are the keys to concentrate on. I would also recommend the honey that we so often discuss on the forum. Raw local honey is best. A dab placed high in the vagina every day or so can go far in maintaining the comfort of these tissues after menopause. I doubt those are actual holes that you're seeing....but you definitely have some irritation and the honey will help, as will getting that bulge to stay inside with WW posture and tools. Walking in very mindful WW posture is great for both body and mind.....be sure to wear cushiony socks and shoes (this is post-hyst advice). - Surviving

Thank you for all the good tips. As it happens, I have been walking barefoot (with socks on) anytime I am home. I think that helps but I now know I need to learn how to walk correctly to support the body and address the prolapse issues. I have always worn flat, wide toe shoes when I have to go out. About honey - that is something else that makes sense to me. It was an old time remedy for cuts due to its properties. Thanks for that tip. I have a lot to learn, but I'm gonna get there. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

I was wondering if anyone has some advice about riding a bike? I'm thinking that may be a good exercise to do - gently, on flat roads - and I used to really enjoy being outside in the very early morning. Love watching the sun come up and the birds singing. It feeds the soul. I live in a rural area.

Hi skies,
Christine actually has a biking video somewhere, maybe surviving will dig it up, but I can tell you my experiences with riding and having prolapse. I am an avid rider, but when I first started riding again after finding prolapse, I wasn't having the best time the first year. I still felt very symptomatic, but after that first year, it has been fabulous. I think that by continuously working on posture and developing a good lumbar curvature has been why I have been so successful with it.
I think it is like everything we try, we need to be in the best possible posture we can to do some of these activities, and don't be upset if it all doesn't fall into place right away, because it will over time.

Here is the biking video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GUN26o39nSs

Also a reminder to Skies and others, that there is a search box up above where you can look up past discussions on any subject. Biking is among the many topics that have been discussed countless times before. Thanks! - Surviving

thank you! aging gracefully.

Thank you! surviving60, will watch & also use search box.

I read the comments and watched video. Really good stuff. I ended up ordering a "senior comfort" bike seat from Bikeroo online and let me tell you, it is the most comfortable bike seat I have ever used. Don't let the term senior comfort throw you; it is really perfect, in my opinion, for those of us with prolapse that can tolerate riding a bike. I'm still having to remind myself (often) to use proper posture while on the bike. But gradually, I'm getting it. I'm doing nice, easy rides on my bike and am up to 30 minutes 3 times a week. Will increase distance and days as I get used to being active again. I must say that watching Christine's video REALLY helped me!

I was very happy to see the video you posted, Surviving! Thank you! I was afraid that biking might be not good for WW posture...so glad that it can be done in posture also. I have been practicing it and finding that it is an exercise I can do it without hurting my hip but... wasn't sure if it was really part of the healing protocol! I would guess that whatever we can do while truly maintaining the posture is a potentially successful activity. And thank you Skies for bringing it up! SET

you are welcome. this is a wonderful place for information and support.

So, I tried raw honey in & around the vagina and after a tiny amount of stinging for a few seconds, felt normal, as I used to be years ago. Not dry and uncomfortable as I have felt even long before the prolapse. Learning about why this is a healthy, healing thing to do for those of us that suffer due to dryness on top of having prolapse has been a revelation to me. I know it is important to not buy any honey - only raw honey. Oddly, I had seen a show about how honey isn't really honey anymore about 6 months prior to my prolapse... and the one exception to altered "fake" honey is raw honey - local if possible. I read all the previous posts here on honey, and learned so much. Thanks to all of you - those that had questions and those that had answers!

Thank you for sharing the bike seat info. I have always loved riding my bicycle, but when I did it after finding my prolapse, it definitely worsened my prolapse immediately, so I will look into this seat, especially after I hopefully get the prolapse shock & situation stabilized. I was depressed thinking I might not be able to ride my bike again.

Hi Skies, I am new to this forum too and am 6-years post hysterectomy with cystocele, so I would love to stay in contact with you as we work on WW stuff, since we are in perhaps similar situation.