Sitting

Body: 

Was curious how others sit in a car while driving, as I'm in the car several hours each day. Also, what do you do on a plane? And, how about in the restaurant or around the dinner table at home? I can't cross my legs or straddle. Lastly, I've only been doing this for a little over a day but my back is not super strong. I've had back issues in the past. While in our cross legged position, is it possible to put pillows behind us as well?

Thank you.

Hi momofgirls - I know you were asking for help yesterday on how to start a new discussion thread. In this particular case, it would have been perfectly fine to leave your comment/question on another "sitting" thread that was already started (especially since there are countless discussions of sitting on this forum). This is quite different from hijacking another discussion thread with a complete change of topic.

Driving is notoriously bad for prolapse, but most of us can't avoid it. I use a cushion (actually a rolled-up sweater, anything will work) in the small of my back. Same on a plane. You aren't going to be in perfect posture all the time. Getting up and moving around from time to time helps.

When you're sitting, just try to stay in posture where the lumbar spine is not collapsed. Make whatever adjustments you need. WW posture and exercise strengthens the upper body to help support this endeavor......this will become more intuitive with time.

Tons of comments on sitting if you use the search bar. - Surviving

definitely use the search bar for all sitting related questions- I'm sure a lot of the questions on there are from me lol
Sitting cross legged on the floor and putting a cushion under the bum is perfectly OK to to do. I think another option is sitting on your feet, kneeling, and putting a cushion either under your bum on top of your legs, or I would sometimes do under my legs on the floor.
The car can be tricky - I used to have a lumbar cushion I placed on the seat. me and my husband alternate cars a lot due to child seats and all that - the larger car we have, I am able to actually tilt the seat slightly forward, I scoot all the way back, and I don't rest my back against the back of the seat at all. I'm usually rolling home in severe traffic so there's not a ton of acceleration or anything. also i'm often pumping so I need to keep chest up in order to accomodate the bottles hanging off my boobs lol
i just flew back from a work trip yesterday and I do the same thing on the plane - scoot all the way back and then sit with my pelvis slightly tipped forward, chest lifted, back not really touching the seat-back.
what I love about the plane rides since prolapse - upon landing, I get myself sitting up as tall as i can, i exaggerate my lumbar curve, and as the plane lands and starts hard braking - I can feel everything really getting pulled totally forward... i watch all the people around me slumped and slouched and i worry about their organs!

as surviving said - it's not going to be possible to be in posture all the time... but if you do it every moment you're able to - that's usually enough. And those moments you can't - if you do your best not to round your back outward or slouch back into any chairs - that's the best you can do in some situations.

there was one description Christine wrote on here (i found it while searching some time back) but someone came on, new to the site, talking about 'pelvic floor' and Christine wrote about how it CAN be a floor, but it's really a wall - it all depends on how you position it... the aim is to make it a wall as often as possible.
so if you reach back and feel your tailbone while you're sitting, lift your chest and you'll feel that tailbone rise... i picture muscle running from that end of the tailbone to pubic bone underneath me. And I try to make sure that muscle is never horizontal to the floor, but always running up at an angle... if I round my back and slouch back in my chair - that wall is now indeed a floor and everything above it is now reliant on this muscle to support it, when in reality, everything should be over pubic bone.
and as always - if anything is making you feel more bulgy - then you'll know you need to work on it. listen to your body.

Thank you!!