Mouth Breather

Body: 

Hello -

When I read about the mouth breathers, people are changing to become closed mouth breathers by choice and diligence. I have had chronic allergies since teen years. I have seen an allergist and my nasal passages are swollen and narrowed. I can breath a couple breaths with a closed mouth but then gasp for breath irregularly, so it doesn't work. I'm assuming that as long as I breath into my stomach even with mouth breathing that it will work? Otherwise, I am in serious trouble! Thank you.

Not wanting to ignore your question.....I just don't know the answer. I do know that you have to do the best you can within the limitations that you have, and that doing something is better than doing nothing. So keep working on the posture. - Surviving

Hi mouth breather,
I was a chronic mouth breather and like anything it takes time to retrain the body out of anything it is used to doing. I used to gasp for breath like you, and have allergies.
The more you can breath through your nose, relax and calm yourself down gradually that you are not going to suffocate, the more you will be able to do it.

I also found that if I didn't try to breath through my mouth at night I could feel that I was going to develop asthma.
My nostrils would literally shut every time I put my head on the pillow to sleep, and when I was training myself not to mouth gulp air during the day, it did feel distressing but I persevered.
Then I worked on breathing through my nose at night and eventually my nose didn't automatically shut at night. I also tape up my mouth so that when I am asleep on my back I don't breath through my mouth and it is worth it.
I don't mouth breath often at all now and my allergies are so much better - the asthmatic feeling I was beginning to have went away... I do sneeze, however I vacuum weekly or more and that really helps as well.
Like anything new that seems impossible I am living proof that the things I have decided to work on - I can do - breathing, and thanks to persevering with Whole Woman, I could persevere to learn dancing, and now singing is my new challenge...
Something that I have learned that it is ok to be a beginner at something and work with yourself to learn. I also work out ways to teach myself how to learn, and there is always a way.
In the meantime, mixing mouth breathing with nose breathing into your belly will work, just persevere with the nose breathing and relax - it will happen.
If you find that you need more help, I did read Beuteyko's book on breathing, and then taught myself.

I wish you well,
Aussie Soul Sister