New and scared. Emerm

Body: 

Hi everyone. I have a long story but will edit for now. Four and half months ago diagnosed with mild uretherocele. Symptoms coming and going. Went to wonderful physio. Learned a lot but over last three weeks huge worsening of symptoms with protrusion increasing by day and difficult to walk. Pelvic pain bladder and bowel affected. The thing that is freaking me out more than anything is shock visit to urologist on Monday who thinks I have thing called uretheral diverticulum!! Fits much more with my symptoms and really scary that when I do internal release now can't get my finger in as space all filled up with fleshy mass! I have to have it confirmed with M R I next Tuesday. In meantime so scared at its hourly progression but I know my terror is not helping. Surgery was mentioned which would be last thing I would want but could not live like this I am 57and am post menopause and live in Ireland. Thought prolapse bad but this is rare and no real resolution unless surgery which even consultant said was risky. I asked him if I ignored it what would happen. He said probably get worse and sometimes stays same which hasn't happened in a week! I would be so so grateful if anyone has heard of such a thing or any feedback or suggestions. Thanks so much

Hi and welcome. I did a search and found one helpful thread on this topic:

http://wholewoman.com/forum/node/633

Do check out the Whole Woman postural work which is your best bet for managing the prolapse itself. Go to the home page of the site and watch the little video there. The urethral diverticulum might be a bit outside the scope of the forum, but the postural work will give you a great deal of relief from the prolapse symptoms. Your physio might be great but is probably coming at this from the traditional medical model which takes a kegel-based approach - this really does more harm than good. - Surviving

Thanks so much Surviving. Yes I did read that post and have looked at some of the info on here but will go back and look at the posture details. I guess I am still praying in some way diagnosis is not the correct one when I go for MRI on Tuesday. As at least with prolapse there are some roadmaps. If I was someone who jumped at option of surgery I probably would be happier as if its diagnosed as uretheral diverticulum surgery is really only option offered. But even the medics are reluctant to do it as its quite risky and not always successful. So you can imagine if they are reluctant what that says about it. From reading more about it in last few days there are cases where it can be left alone and it does not worsen. Mine seems to be very symptomatic and moving fast at moment. But I have taken back my power a bit in last few days and am back doing pelvic release exercises and I know the dietary changes that have been suggested to me for my bladder and bowel would really help if I could implement them! The pelvic pain is really not great as the day wears on and it almost feels as if the bit protruding is really sore and inflamed. But when I check it as I do too regularly it doesnt look any worse but it does feel swollen to touch. Apologies if this is too much information. Its so distressing and so worrying if I think too far ahead as I dont know what solutions I can bring to it. I wont be back with physio until I have MRI and know what I am dealing with. But at the end of the day I still have to find a way to manage and even believe it can improve. I cannot envisage myself going down the surgery route, waiting as a public patient and having bladder test which is quite invasive and then the ordeal of surgery and the cathether put in afterwards and the risk of incontinence and again risk of recurrence. All worst case scenarios and I have to be balanced if I can be. As if its a really practical choice that I am left with that does not interfere with my pelvic organs necessarily and is different than prolapse type surgery it might be the sensible thing. I totally respect this forum is all about non surgical options which is why I am on here. Anyone who knows me knows how much I work with the emotional and the reasons why things manifest in the body (I am a psychotherapist) However when you are caught in the fear and the pain and the visibility and terror if it moving more and more out of the vagina - you lost your good emotional reasoning but thankfully it comes back and thankfully I will be guided to right options. So again any thoughts or feedback gratefully appreciated. I am not anti surgery or I suppose I am pro choice so this is just me talking about myself and how I have always been up to now. Some would accuse me in the past of being extreme in my refusal to take painkillers over the years and always opt for non medical interventions in the case of other issues I have had. So this is a real challenge for me . Thank for reading and again in my gut I know the diet if I could do it get rid of the coffee alcohol and sugar and wheat which I dont have in large amounts but over a week they are always in the diet most days.

One thing I notice is that the aforementioned discussion thread is pretty old, and this isn't a topic that has come up much over the years. I suspect Christine would have much more insight on the subject and it might be worth booking a consult with her, by phone or Skype. I strongly caution you against the physio approach which is typically not prolapse-friendly (they teach you to squeeze, which actually pulls prolapse INTO the vagina, whereas WW postural work aims to get it out of that space). But how all this works with the uretheral diverticulum, I have no idea. - Surviving

Hi Surviving and thanks again for response I had my MRI on Tuesday and it was such an unpleasant experience but glad its done Will have results in next few days hopefully. I will assess all options then. I have to say that my experiences with my pelvic health therapist has been nothing but positive. She never had me doing kegels as my issue all along was hypertonic pelvic floor so she was always working with me on internal release and breathing work that opened up the pelvis. She gave me hope and care lots of times when I was so low. Unfortunately it has just deteriorated where at this stage because of this possible diagnosis we are both waiting to hear what consultant has to say - no choice really and then to make an informed decision. but its tough and painful and am doing my best to stay focussed and proactive.