Menopause Maybe

Body: 

I wanted to share a recent experience that I had last year, and especially the end of the year, my peri-menopausal symptoms seemed to be getting out of control again. I admit that part of it was a little backsliding with my diet and a return to some pretty serious constipation. My breasts hurt all the time, I bled heavily and spotted for several days afterwards, had serious side pain from ovulating, high anxiety, and constant hemorrhoids.

In January, I made an appointment with the OB/GYN. In I went to be poked and prodded, sold everything on the books that they could sell me. That part still amazes me!

What I walked away from it with: mammogram results negative; pap smear results negative; a shot in the arm for tetanus and whooping cough, and whatever else they could shove in that syringe! A prescription for anxiety pills which I never took; a tube of hydrocortizone cream for my hemorrhoids; an appointment for a colonoscopy which I changed to a mail in after some research; and appointment for a blood sugar test which I ignored; and a Bartholomew cyst on my cervix which she told me not to worry about.

Consequently, in the last couple of months, my breast pain has gone away, the weird hormonal anxiety seems alleviated, and I have missed a period for over two weeks; and I was getting them every 3 weeks like clockwork. Could be finally my relief into menopause? I am not holding my breath, but I am surely hopeful.

I also found that the hemorrhoids weren't so simple; it actually turned out to be an anal fissure, again after my own research. And, it has been slow to heal, but it is. Getting my diet under control and being more gentle down there has helped a lot!

My prolapse seems the same through all this, maybe a little more peeking of the cervix at times, but also the uterus seems to be moving up higher; at least I can't touch the fundus as much I used to be able to. We'll see.

Thanks AG for sharing these experiences. It's so important to hear each other's menopause stories because, whether it's similar or different from what we're expecting, we all get through it somehow. Maybe you really are through the worst part......I guess you will find that out sooner or later! And this is a good lesson for all of us (especially me!) of the importance of maintaining those good habits and practices that have served us well in the past but are easy to let slide. Hope you continue feeling better!! - Love, Surviving

I am a 52 year old woman. I just found out I have prolapse. Of which organ I don’t know. I went to the health clinic and was examined by a nurse practitioner. I am being referred to a gynecologist to find out more specifically about it. I haven’t been diligent with my “lady” health. My last Pap smear was five years ago. Yes, I had a Pap smear with this last visit to the doctor. But, I only went because I could feel something was wrong. Before my appointment I googled my symptoms and pretty much knew what to expect. And sure enough it was what I feared.

I feel so broken. Like I’m not normal anymore. How did I let this happen? I’m angry with myself for not keeping up with my vaginal health. Could I have avoided this? I’ve never been one to go to the doctor. I have three children and I had my fill of all the “pelvic exam” business. I know that’s not a good attitude to have. So, now, here I am dealing with this. I’ve cried for days over it. I work a job that requires me to be on my feet most of the day. I have to lift and pull (I work in laundry at a nursing home) I’m so scared now. What if something suddenly just falls out? I’m not trying to be funny. I’m genuinely scared of this. It’s not bad first thing in the morning. But as the day progresses I get very uncomfortable. But then, there are days that aren’t as bad as others.

I’ve become obsessed with looking things up on the internet. I like having the information. But it also scares me. I’m in a long term relationship and I’m so afraid I won’t be able to please him anymore. Is it ok to have sex? Will it make my condition worse? I have so many fears now. I don’t feel normal anymore.

Thank you for letting me join. And please forgive me if I seem all over the place with my post. This has really shaken me.

Hi Joli67,
First finding prolapse can be one of the scariest things we experience, and we start to look back wondering what we did wrong. I know I did! Don't blame yourself for not going to the doctor enough; that wouldn't have changed the outcome. Doctors don't know that the problem with prolapse is postural not medical.
You will find all this out as you study the Whole Woman work. Christine explains why we ended up with prolapse and how to successfully alleviate those symptoms.
Please look at everything on this site; the sooner you get started the sooner you will get some peace of mind.
Welcome to your journey with Whole Woman!!