Chronic liver/gallbladder discomfort

Body: 

Sorry if I put this under the wrong category... This is my first post.

I was diagnosed with a stage 4 uterine prolapse several months ago (though possibly misdiagnosed...I think its' actually my bladder that is prolapsing??). I'm 49 and have had 6 children vaginally. About 1 year ago I developed chronic pain in my gallbladder/liver area. It's a long story but after every test imaginable it's been confirmed I do not have gallstones or any other issue that they can find with my liver. The pain definitely worsens if I eat too much fat or nuts. I also try to avoid sugar, dairy and flour and eat very little meat. I also work with a naturopath and an acupuncturist who have me on lots of supplements to support my liver and gallbladder. I guess my question is, can my prolapse be effecting my liver/gallbladder and keeping them from functioning properly to cause this? I am peri-menopausal. I've only ever had a couple hot flashes, probably due to the supportive supplements I'm taking.

Also, I'm interested in purchasing the First Aid/exercises video. Is that the most comprehensive information to help me with this?

thanks for any thoughts or help!

Hi Rickylyn and welcome to the Forum.

Prolapse is a rather benign condition in the great scheme of things, and extremely common. Most of us will end up with one or more varieties eventually. But despite my lack of medical credentials, I can say with some certainty that prolapse is not affecting your liver function. It could, however, be affecting your level of discomfort with all this.

It should be fairly easy for you to self-diagnose using this tool:

https://wholewoman.com/library/content/articles/prolapseselfexam.pdf

Also, if you're testing negative for anything specifically related to the liver, but your diet causes notable fluctuations in your pain, then you might even have rectocele. The combo of cystocele and rectocele is the most common prolapse of all.

However, it doesn't matter which one(s) you have because Whole Woman posture and tools are the order of the day in any case. Many of us, including myself, have never had a formal Dx. If you are worried about other issues, then it makes sense to try and rule them out; but I must warn you that we have no great love for the medical establishment on this site. They are great if you get hit by a bus, but of less than no value where female pelvic health is concerned.

I urge you next to watch this video, as it explains WW principles better than I can do here.

https://wholewoman.com/newpages/video/ww101.html

The First Aid for Prolapse product is indeed the best choice for diving in; but be aware, this is not an exercise program per se. It is all about the posture, as you will learn. Do some more motoring around the website, blog and forum, and come back with your questions! - Surviving

Hi Rickylyn,
Thanks for yr query. I'm so pleased you found the WW site whatever's going on! The WW approach supports a healthy body, mind & spirit & is a holistic approach. & therefore good for women generally as well as specifically pelvic organ prolapse - or hips, knee, menopause etc which Christine has also focused on.

I can't think of a direct connection between pelvic organ prolapse & liver or gallbladder pain. But I may be wrong. I had sciatica type pain down my inner thighs, bottom & back of legs, which I'm convinced were connected to my prolapse issues at the time. However the medics told me they weren't. So - in short - I don't know.

Re prolapse diagnosis. Remember a typical medical examination is a snap shot in time. Most women report the severity of their prolapse symptoms varies during the day & from day to day. The pelvic are is very fluid & the pelvic organs can be quite mobile. I guess they have to be during pregnancy for example. Hence pelvic organ positions can vary over time & depending on what the woman is doing. Some things make it better some things make it worse. One of the beauties of following the WW approach is that you get to know what helps & what doesn't. Basically you do more of what helps & less of what doesn't. The good news is that organs can move into healthier positions if they do more of the 'right' things & less of the 'bad' things.

Re resources. As a yoga bunny, I personally found the Wheel of Yoga videos particularly helpful to follow a daily (more or less) practice. The 1st Aid video has a great intro re the theoretical background & an exercise programme which many women find helpful. Work within your comfortable limit; find your edge but don't go beyond it.

The WW approach has become a way of life for some/many? of us. I hope your engagement with this approach helps you on your journey towards greater health & happiness. Bonne chance & bonne voyage:)
Love, wholewomanuk

Rickylyn,
I am glad that you found the WW website & this forum, regarding prolapse issues. The WW ways and this Forum have been a bit of a sanctuary for me. Hope that many of the Whole Woman ideas can be helpful for you too.
Your comments caught my eye for another reason. I have experienced bouts of discomfort below the liver, recently, and in the past. The pain can run the gamut. When it's worse, it's quite bothersome/distracting/ worrisome. I do notice that the discomfort can fluctuate with the foods choices.

Hi Rickylyn,
I know this was posted a while ago but I wanted to comment anyway. There are a few reasons you could be having pain that I can think of.
1. Trapped air around the organ which drs. don't usually tell you about
2. sludge on liver/gallbladder which drs. don't usually tell you about
3 a low fat diet which ruins your gallbladder which could be why when you eat nuts it causes pain
4.dehydration
5. inflammatory processes in your body that are causing your gallbladder/liver to be inflamed
6. a uti/unresolved uti/bladder infection (I know this can happen because it happened to me while I was pregnant) I would have your dr. check to make sure you don't have an infection.
Curious as to your diet and what your naturopath are give to support your liver and gallbladder. I have been through this before and don't have the pains anymore because I changed my diet abd took certain things to help clear up inflammation. If you go on youtube and look up Dr. Berg he has a ton of videos on gallbladder and liver issues. Hopefully it can be of some help to you.