rectocele,enterocele & cystocele surgery

Body: 

young 70yr lady on waiting list(5months to go) re above surgery.hysterectomy 25 yrs ago.miscarriage 2nd pregnancy(placenta previa 20 weeks).Need to talk to anyone who has had surgery.with good news.
Everywhere I have only heard frightening news.Thanks so much. "Needhelp".

Hi Needhelp,

I'm wondering if you could give us a bit more information. How much of the previous 25 years have you been without symptoms? Was it a progressive prolapsing or did it seem like everything fell quickly? I'm just wondering if you've lived several years with symptoms, what has changed drastically that you now require surgery?

Your situation does sound less serious than the woman with total vault prolapse. The bowel and bladder have moved in to occupy the intrapelvic space and are probably holding the vault up at the same time.

I think it's possible that for a sub-set of post-hysterectomy women, posture, diet and external support garments might be preferable to further surgery. All surgeries that utilize the uterosacral ligaments or the anterior longitudinal ligament of the spine are fraught with risk of chronic post-surgical pain. Colpotomy, or vaginal dissection, which they will likely also do will place bowel and bladder function at risk. This is why you cannot find a lot of positive testimony from honest women on the subject.

Christine

Hi NeedHelp,
I, too am a 70 yrs young lady. I have been living with severe uterine and bladder prolapse since 2001.
Why don't you try the posture and other changess of life style suggested on this web site. You still have time before you are scheduled for surgery and you may find you can live quite well without the surgery.
I have found the posture has helped me tremendously in many ways. It has helped to stabilize my prolapses and given me a degree of comfort I didn't have before.
I also wear a pessary at times and find I can live quite comfortably without having to resort to surgery.
Read the other postings on this site and you will find many women who have refused the surgery and are living quite well with their prolapses. You have nothing to lose by trying this work.

Good luck.
Flora

Dear Flora.I appreciate your reply so much.Any info is so welcome.Its good to talk & so far I found no-one who has had these problems.The surgery was advised after pessaries tried going u in 4 sizes-each coming out before I got to the door.the last one was blood covered-they hurt so much.Evidently there is no space in there now.Was told things would get worse if left.I notice more & more lack of control re getting to bathroom in time.& it takes ages to finish with stops & starts never feeling finished.I have not found these excersises & posture you reccomend.Where can I find them can I get 2nd hand copy of CHristine Kent's book & will it help please????
Thanks a mill again for you help. NEEDHELP.

Christine's book can be purchased on Amazon.com or half.com The title is "Saving the Whole Woman." ISBN: 0970144008 - worth its weight (and more) in gold. Also, if you haven't done so yet, go to the home page wholewoman.com and click on the FAQ section. For each question listed there, the answer appears when you click on the question. There are questions and answers there about posture and much more.

All the best,
Jean

Hi again,
Sorry you had such a bad experience with the pessaries. Perhaps your doctor didn't try the right ones or the proper size. Go to MilexProducts.com, click on product catalogue and then on pessaries and you will find all kinds of different ones. Getting the right pessary can be a trying experience. I know from personal experience.
There is also the fembrace and the V2 support belt that helps hold everything up from the outside. You can find the fembrace web site at Fembrace.com. The V2 support belt is actually a maternity item but some of the women on this site have used it and had success with it. To find one type in v2 Support belt in your search engine and it will take you to several different site. You can probably find one near you. If you order one remember the sizes are for pregnant women so you will have to judge the measurements for yourself.
In the mean time try the posture sitting and standing as it helps place the organs in their proper positions. None of these things are a quick fix but can't hurt anything.
You will find Christine's book answers many questions.
Hope this helps.
Flora

Dear Christine..I think I must have had a bit of prolapse years ago.thought it was result of child birth.A very slight bulge which disappeared laying down at night or if pushed back.Didnt really bother me.My problem started about 5 months ago when I got terribly constipated in the middle of opening bowels.Stool woudnt't go back or come out.The pressure just seemed to push me out & I went straight to the Dr;next day as it did not seem normal.It was the consultant who said pessaries would never work for me.This was after another Dr.at hospital tried them.I don't quite know all the terms yet What is a total vault prolapse.Surgeon tells me that where I had a hysterectomy the roof has ballooned out & downward,so with the bulge from rectocele lying full length in my vagina(protuding.Its over the place where I wee.so I am getting more unable to get to the loo.The words uterosacral or anterior longitudainal ligaments etc go over my head.The surgeon I saw said they would cut in 3 places.I did get torn with 1st baby.they did not stitch me. Lost my 2nd one at 20 weeks with placenta previa.My 3rd pregnancy resulted in a lovely boy.The hysterectomy was advised due to heavy period & enlarged womb.Thankyou so much for your help.Needhelp.