Cystocele at 42, seeking solutions

Body: 

I just delivered my first baby 4 months ago at age 42. Forceps were used just after one hour of pushing. At 6 weeks checkup, doctor said everything was ok, but after 3 months I still feel the fullness inside especially when I walk fast and urge-type of incontinance. Doc asked me to coming in and did another exam and told me it was my bladder out of position and mentioned surgery immediately. I was freaked out. Did a lot of search online, found your site, Christine, and bought your book. I started doing the posture right away, aslo metioned in the articles are: Kegel, swimming (frog style and butterfly style)and meditation. Would somebody please comment on these, are they really helpful? At my age and the situraion, Could I be agle to recover? Thanks in advance.

There is a lot of good advice on this site for women who have recently given birth and how, in time, the body heals itself after trauma. Please give yourself time to heal. As for me, my rectocele was not something that came on suddenly but progressed over the years. When I realized what it was I did not give myself enough time to time to make life changes with diet, posture and acceptance. I opted for the surgery which resulted in my cystocele. I am a 47 year old woman who is quite a bit wiser now and know that surgery to correct the cystocele will result in a prolapsed uterus. I have responded well with the diet and posture.

Take it easy and don't go hog wild. It takes time for the body to adjust.

tzhang999

first of all, congratulations on the birth of your baby!

you are still so early postpartum, and there are many moms on this board that experience postpartum prolapse. i had other issues as well, but i also have cystocele (and dd was born with forceps, too). i can say that things have steadily improved as time has gone on. i am still in physical therapy 2x per week doing lots of abdominal/core strengthening, and also swimming, practicing yoga and lifting weights. now 9 1/2 months postpartum, i go through days where i don't even think about the bladder prolapse.

please be easy and gentle on yourself, ease yourself back into an exercise program, and the posture and principles in saving the whole woman can help tremendously.

health, healing and peace to you...
michele

It's amazing that you can do all that exercises,sounds like everything is back to normal for you. I have a few questions for you.
1. Is physical therapy helpful for cystocele patient (my is degree 2), if yes, what type?
2. I used to do yoga before pregnancy. After I read on this board, I thought there are a lot of poses are not good to our condition
3. For swimming, Is any style ok? I am still breastfeeding, Is it ok to swim?
4. Isn't lifting weights the first No-no for prolapse?
5. No more fullness and sticking out feelings?

Congrats on all your improvments

tz

to answer your questions:

1. Is physical therapy helpful for cystocele patient (my is degree 2), if yes, what type? Physical therapy has been very helpful for me (I am a PT myself...) I highly recommend finding a therapist who specializes in women's health. I have been doing abdominal/core strenghtening with both ball work and pilates, as well as doing internal work and biofeedback on the pelvic muscles.
2. I used to do yoga before pregnancy. After I read on this board, I thought there are a lot of poses are not good to our condition. I am also a yoga teacher, and although I have yet to resume my prior level of practice, yoga has been wonderful. There aren't a lot of poses, just a few to be aware of. I'll try to find that information here.
3. For swimming, Is any style ok? I am still breastfeeding, Is it ok to swim? Swimming is a great way to get in shape. I am still nursing my 9 1/2 month old and swimming is not contraindicated with breastfeeding. I mostly swim freestyle (crawl), although I do mix in some breaststroke (while always engaging my pelvic floor and abdominals during the kick phase) and backstroke.
4. Isn't lifting weights the first No-no for prolapse? I lift very light weights, certainly nothing close to what I was lifting before when I was in training for athletic events. I lift slowly and mindfully.
5. No more fullness and sticking out feelings? Nope! Every once in a while if I'm really tired I might feel it a little bit. Also, since I'm a nursing mom I haven't resumed menstruation, so I don't know whether my cycle might impact how the prolapse feels. The posture has helped so much. Also, I no longer wear restricting clothing, which I think helps a lot, too. I've always preferred to wear yoga-style leggings anyways, so it's not really an issue.

Hope this helps, and I'd be happy to answer any more questions!

Peace,
Michele