any hope post-hysterectomy?

Body: 

Thankfully, i still have all my organs. However, i have a friend who just had a hysterectomy, and is having a terrible time healing. We are exploring all kinds of possibilities as to what might be causing her to be in such agony 6 weeks post-op, but one thing i'm wondering is if the posture stuff taught here can still be helpful, or if the fact that she probably got 're-attached' in that horrible lithotomy position that Christine blogged about changes her internal anatomy so much that what helps those of us with all our parts could hurt her and vice- versa? Her only semi-comfortable position seems to be reclining mostly on her back, and I know that for an intact woman an extended period on her back would be shifting her inner organs away from the abdominal wall where they belong and not be a good idea... i'm wondering if it's still a bad idea for my friend or if all the rules are changed now.

i'm also planning to have her get her medical records and see if there's any way to decipher from that what got anchored to what in surgery. Anyone know anything about this? She had a complete hysterectomy with bilateral ooferectomy (both ovaries out) in case it helps.

Thanks!
conquer

conquer,

Check out hersfoundation.com - you might find some help for your friend there also.
(:
Jean

My sister's friend had a hysterectomy and she felt awful for quite a long time. She said she feels great now but it took 6 months before she could say that.

Thank you. The site just makes me wish I had been more willing to risk offending them before the surgery and tell them not to. :( I did use the contact form to ask for information that might be helpful. Hopefully I'll get some good stuff. :) I suppose the lesson in this is "The worst that could happen is they'll get offended." If it was MY uterus, I would want someone to risk offending me. Not that I didn't say anything... but I didn't push AT ALL, and I really didn't look up anything about complications to know what to say, beyond that there could be hormonal consequences. I guess I should stop feeling like a bad friend- I'm sure they wouldn't fault me. :(

I've already gotten a great lead! Looks like it may be nerve damage. I'm waiting more information from HERS and need to get more info to them from my friend as well. I am still interested in whether or not the 'rules' concerning posture are different now for my friend. That may be something that only Christina could answer.

Hey Conquer,

Been there,I had the same surgery done only I also had a bladder lift at the same time. My Drs. were very honest with me and told me my recovery would be 6 months. That was in summer 2003,by the summer of 2004 I was feeling great, on top of the world. By summer 2005 I had a prolaps and still have it, I am trying to find the best way to deal with it. I had no other options so I had the surgery. This time I have options so I am trying real hard to stay away from surgery.I send my best. (((HUGS)))

Beth

Concuer,

Here is an address you may find useful, it describes the surgery in detail. I really hope you find what you are looking for in here.

http://www.emedicine.com/med/top3323.htm#target1

Beth